Would you Cruise having to wear a mask almost all the time?

janewe

51 minutes ago, npcl said:

Yes, but you can have someone with asymptomatic illness that slips through passes it on to others that are asymptomatic so it can take 2-3 weeks before it surfaces.  The round of tests that failed was just a couple of days before the cruise was intended to sail so not that long ago.

Anything could happen - or not ...

• Like 1

A UK doctor, wanting to disprove all of the false information showing up on the Internet about masks hindering oxygen levels, decided to debunk these claims by running 35 km on a humid summer day. In addition to the mask, he wore a pulse oximeter during the run to measure his oxygen levels, which were 98% and 99% throughout; anything above 95% is considered normal. While he found the mask uncomfortable to wear while running, especially after it became sweaty, he wanted to "assure others that wearing a face mask won’t decrease oxygen levels, no matter the activity."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/icu-doctor-runs-35-kilometres-wearing-face-mask-to-disprove-false-claims-1.5048609

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

A UK doctor, wanting to disprove all of the false information showing up on the Internet about masks hindering oxygen levels, decided to debunk these claims by running 35 km on a humid summer day. In addition to the mask, he wore a pulse oximeter during the run to measure his oxygen levels, which were 98% and 99% throughout; anything above 95% is considered normal. While he found the mask uncomfortable to wear while running, especially after it became sweaty, he wanted to "assure others that wearing a face mask won’t decrease oxygen levels, no matter the activity."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/icu-doctor-runs-35-kilometres-wearing-face-mask-to-disprove-false-claims-1.5048609

Another Doctor did a video where he put 8 surgical masks on one over another.  All of the time he was measuring his blood ox level and CO2 level.  no changes even while wearing 8 masks at the same time.

I personally will not cruise while masks are required, not because I am opposed to wearing masks.  I support the mask requirements.  It is strictly because if masks are  required then the outbreak is severe enough that one should not be doing recreational travel of any kind.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:33 PM, keesar said:

I spoke with a manager of a store about people not wearing masks.  He said people  tell him they have a  medical condition which prevents them from wearing one.  He was told from  the corporate office not to press the issue. Not to ask any questions.     Reminds me of the "service animals" that come on board ---but don't get me started....

I get your point.  My opinion is that if masks are required on cruise ships when they start sailing, then anyone who cannot wear them because of medical reasons should not be allowed to board.  It puts too many other people in jeopardy (including the financial survival of the cruise line!).  For that matter, if someone has a breathing issue for their own sake they should not be putting themselves into this type of situation.  It is not like on land where if someone is not wearing their mask or not wearing it correctly you can walk away from them.  On a ship you are stuck onboard with them until disembarkation.  I support making reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities of whatever kind - 100%.  But this is not like a standard disability accommodation.  It is NOT reasonable to put others lives at risk because of your own problems.  It sucks, but like Spock says, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.  If masks are required, they need to be required of every single person onboard that ship IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I get your point.  My opinion is that if masks are required on cruise ships when they start sailing, then anyone who cannot wear them because of medical reasons should not be allowed to board.  It puts too many other people in jeopardy (including the financial survival of the cruise line!).  For that matter, if someone has a breathing issue for their own sake they should not be putting themselves into this type of situation.  It is not like on land where if someone is not wearing their mask or not wearing it correctly you can walk away from them.  On a ship you are stuck onboard with them until disembarkation.  I support making reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities of whatever kind - 100%.  But this is not like a standard disability accommodation.  It is NOT reasonable to put others lives at risk because of your own problems.  It sucks, but like Spock says, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.  If masks are required, they need to be required of every single person onboard that ship IMHO.

This is basically the approach that Delta and other airlines are now taking. 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I get your point....

It sucks, but like Spock says, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.  If masks are required, they need to be required of every single person onboard that ship IMHO.

Imo, you won’t have to worry about mask compliance. X will advise passengers of the rules for wearing masks on board, the penalties for non-compliance and will require acknowledgment of these prior to boarding. There will be no excuse, or exception, for anyone who doesn’t comply. The stakes are too high, not only for the well being of passengers, but their crew as well. If X doesn’t handle this well, it will weigh heavily on their future success or demise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, Pinboy said:

We would cancel and wait until we are more confident that cruising will become safe and fun again.

Not only is wearing a mask everywhere ( not only on the ship ) an issue  , also , the possibility that someone gets the virus and everyone is quarantined in their cabins for weeks on end.

LOL--I'm sure there will also be confrontations between passengers , ( some even worse than what we read on CC from time to time).

Just writing this reaffirms our decision to stay put.

LOL - Think so???

I would never be part of the group that confronts?? Or maybe I would...

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I would never be part of the group that confronts?? Or maybe I would...

You, confrontational ???  A man of " reason " and a good  teacher . Not a chance !

( LOL----Have you seen any posts lately that " might " have caused a confrontation if done in person , depending upon the size of each participant ??? ).

11 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Imo, you won’t have to worry about mask compliance. X will advise passengers of the rules for wearing masks on board, the penalties for non-compliance and will require acknowledgment of these prior to boarding. There will be no excuse, or exception, for anyone who doesn’t comply. The stakes are too high, not only for the well being of passengers, but their crew as well. If X doesn’t handle this well, it will weigh heavily on their future success or demise.

When they do the next ship renovations they should expand the brig! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Cheaper to just hire more security staff to set outside the offenders cabins until they can be offloaded at the next port.😉

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

You, confrontational ???  A man of " reason " and a good  teacher . Not a chance !

( LOL----Have you seen any posts lately that " might " have caused a confrontation if done in person , depending upon the size of each participant ??? ).

LOL... a few here and there.

Then again, I was 5'6" until 10th grade, so I was confronting fellow classmates because of my size and then after I 'grew up' a bit, I kept it going so I would never forget!

LOL

bon voyage

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Actually it might befit them all to be held within the same cell or cabin until off-loading!

LOL

bon voyage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, npcl said:

Cheaper to just hire more security staff to set outside the offenders cabins until they can be offloaded at the next port.😉

Seriously, though, I wonder if in fact they should be hiring more security staff because people are going ballistic these days!  I know you were not seriously meaning they would set outside their cabins, but if masks are required they will almost definitely be encountering belligerent people who are disregarding the rules, especially after a few cocktails.  And there really could be passenger to passenger altercations which could get nasty.  I follow the mask rules, and I've been admonished at our outside arboretum for not wearing a mask (when in fact I was following the rules and keeping 6' or more away from people while outside, where a mask is not required).  It did not escalate, but it's a personal example about how sensitive people can be these days.  In a close environment with alcohol involved, I can only imagine what might happen.  

On 8/2/2020 at 5:44 PM, Fouremco said:

Good for him, I find them uncomfortable and they also make it basically impossible  to read ones facial expressions,  full body tyvek suit would save more lives.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I follow the mask rules, and I've been admonished at our outside arboretum for not wearing a mask (when in fact I was following the rules and keeping 6' or more away from people while outside, where a mask is not required).  It did not escalate, but it's a personal example about how sensitive people can be these days.  In a close environment with alcohol involved, I can only imagine what might happen.  

Agree, people are crazy...you’re outside and away from others for goodness sake..

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Good for him, I find them uncomfortable and they also make it basically impossible  to read ones facial expressions,  full body tyvek suit would save more lives.  

That must explain the shortage of tyvek at all our local building supply stores. Tyvek body suits and a daily dose of hydroxychloroquine.  NOT!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Seriously, though, I wonder if in fact they should be hiring more security staff because people are going ballistic these days!  I know you were not seriously meaning they would set outside their cabins, but if masks are required they will almost definitely be encountering belligerent people who are disregarding the rules, especially after a few cocktails.  And there really could be passenger to passenger altercations which could get nasty.  I follow the mask rules, and I've been admonished at our outside arboretum for not wearing a mask (when in fact I was following the rules and keeping 6' or more away from people while outside, where a mask is not required).  It did not escalate, but it's a personal example about how sensitive people can be these days.  In a close environment with alcohol involved, I can only imagine what might happen.  

If someone misbehaves on a ship and the Captain decided to put them off at the next port, they usually have a security person outside their door to keep them confined to their room, instead of putting them in the brig.  Since the post I responded to talked about expanding the brig, I suggested more security.

54 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

In a close environment with alcohol involved, I can only imagine what might happen.  

LOL---- In a close environment with ELEVATORS involved , I can only imagine what might happen.

Now ya got a bigger problem !!! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have not been in a good brawl in decades! Could  be fun and experiential, for sure... LOL

I trust that the type of individual such as described, would be very very very rare on X...

In safety and bon voyage

We made our decision....We have been on 30 cruises and can miss a year....We both view ships as a breeding ground for health issues and the current high level makes us very uncomfortable about being on a ship with others from all parts.....We wear a mask when we go the any store or inside spot....last night I was at a pizza parlor indoors and that experience didn't feel all that safe to me....I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to go on vacation and be on guard most of the time.....I hope a vaccine helps and this will pass over time......best to everyone, be safe and do your part.....

• Like 2

Today for lunch we stopped by a local sub shop where people line up at one end to order and then wait at the other end to pick it up.  A man walked in past the "everyone must wear a mask to enter" sign not wearing a mask.  After the manager took his order, she told him he would need to wait outside since he didn't have a mask. He hemmed and hawed and threw out a bunch of excuses for why he didn't have a mask.  She told him to go outside, and they would bring his order out to him (she was being very polite).  Instead, he came and stood in the area where everyone else was waiting to pick up and started going on and on about how ridiculous they were being.  People started clearing out of that area real quick.  He was the only person without a mask.  We went outside with the others, and he finally came out to continue his nonsense.   More than a few offered him their opinions on his choice to put everyone else at risk but of course he was convinced that he was right and that was that.  No way do I want to deal with that type of mindset when I'm trying to relax because you know it's going to happen.  It doesn't matter if it's posted in advance.  Some people just cannot be reasoned with and even more people will try to push the limits to see what they can get away with without being caught.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 3