Empress of The Seas

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The ship facts sheets break it down.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/ships/

Ocean view on Empress to New England in May is over $2k.  I'm actually considering a Princess cruise to Alaska as my plan B if Empress goes to the beach.  Both are refundable and nearly the same price.

EDIT - Or maybe the charter site has the break down http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/ships/

Well, an OS on Empress January '21 is $3400, and one on Oddysey January '22 is $13,000 😁

Edited by John&LaLa
wrong month

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Souda, Crete.. to be exact... you know, that same port that every single cruise ship that has been disassembled in the scrap yard has visited so far. But hey, this is just coincidence. After all, Royal simply sailed her all the way from the Caribbean to this Greek port for fun, plus it's only 200 miles from the scrap yard port, just to keep those scrapped ships company. Carnival Inpiriation just left there and is heading for the scrap yard as we speak.

Anyways, like I said I'm sure it's all just coincidence. I'm sure Royal will consider re-staffing this empty ship since it barely has any balconies or suites, almost zero on board revenue producing amenities, and 100sf cabins, and sail her for free across the world to ensure everyone can get their discounted $399 interior cabin cruises.🙃

NOT! (add a ton of sarcasm to the above please) 🤪

November cruise =  negative -100000% chance

April... in my zero knowledge armchair quarterback opinion, I give it a 0.0001% chance.

I'm betting she will be scrapped along with Majesty prior to next spring.

That is not the port that Monarch and Sovereign used to unload valuable items.  Both used the same port in Italy and each stayed many days in that port.  So far, Majesty and Empress have only spent hours at a time at Souda, not days.

Edited by WeMissSeaView
Wrong ships

6 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

That is not the port that Monarch and Sovereign used to unload valuable items.  Both used the same port in Italy and each stayed many days in that port.  So far, Majesty and Empress have only spent hours at a time at Souda, not days.

You sure it wasn't Malta?

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You sure it wasn't Malta?

Yes.  They may have stopped in Malta, but valuables were unloaded over a mater of days in Italy (I think it was Naples)  It also does not make sense to unload on a small island.  You want to be on a mainland port to keep transportation costs down. The Carnival Fascination is currently docked in Spain and has been for days.  It also shows that it will go to the scrapyard next.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

More suites than any Radiance class ship 😉 

Love ya Twangster, but you've lost your mind on that one. 

I'd guess you fell for the marketing lies of RCI because you are counting JS's

And the reason she has so many JS's is because they are tiny.😉

If you limit it to full suites, there is no contest

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Love ya Twangster, but you've lost your mind on that one. 

I'd guess you fell for the marketing lies of RCI because you are counting JS's

And the reason she has so many JS's is because they are tiny.😉

If you limit it to full suites, there is no contest

Empress has 69 suites, Radiance only has 65.  Last I checked 69 > 65.  

Besides... Who does full suites without Royal Suite Class?  😉 

Another benefit of Empress... I could use my Wow band in place of my Seapass card to enter my cabin...

NE1908-23.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Carnival Imagination sailed right by two days ago without stopping and is waiting off the beach at Aliaga.

Sunrise just happened.  Tick Tock.  Full speed ahead in three, two, one...

I can't remember what pics I have of Imagination.  Found one...

1839440533_CarnivalInternet.jpg.13a430395e0668fb9fa39b92779caa2d.jpg

Fun times...

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Empress has 69 suites, Radiance only has 65.  Last I checked 69 > 65.  

Besides... Who does full suites without Royal Suite Class?  😉 

Another benefit of Empress... I could use my Wow band in place of my Seapass card to enter my cabin...

NE1908-23.jpg

Radiance has 28 full suites, Empress has 5.

Empress has no SL😱

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Yes.  They may have stopped in Malta, but valuables were unloaded over a mater of days in Italy (I think it was Naples)  It also does not make sense to unload on a small island.  You want to be on a mainland port to keep transportation costs down. 

Valuables were off loaded in Marsaxlokk, Malta.

I'm only guessing as I'm not the CEO of the company, however both Sovereign and Monarch are Malta registered... so is Empress. I am only guessing stripping the ship in that country makes a difference on the books somehow.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Doesn't need one, only 5 full suites 🙂 

One of the big myths on this board is that Radiance CL is uncrowded because it has much less suites than say Freedom. Freedom only has 37, and two of those are recent additions.

I for one, wouldn't call 9 more suites substantially different

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

I'm only guessing as I'm not the CEO of the company, however both Sovereign and Monarch are Malta registered... so is Empress. I am only guessing stripping the ship in that country makes a difference on the books somehow.

That was my guess as well. 

6 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Brilliance is the only Royal ship registered in Malta.  They need one ship registered in region for tax purposes.  

NE is Bahamas like the rest of the fleet. 

Edited by twangster

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Brilliance is the only Royal ship registered in Malta.  They need one ship registered in region for tax purposes.  

NE is Bahamas like the rest of the fleet. 

Do you have an official link of ship registries?

I assume there's a lot of incorrect information on line

Wikipedia and many other sites show Sovereign and Empress as Malta.

Here's an example:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/758-cruise-ship-registry-flags-of-convenience-flag-state-control

edit: Just noticed on Empress.... 2008-2016 Malta, 2016 to present Bahamas. Interesting.

So Malta for Pullmantur, Bahamas for RCI ships?

Edited by Hoopster95

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Do you have an official link of ship registries?

I assume there's a lot of incorrect information on line

Wikipedia and many other sites show Sovereign and Empress as Malta.

Here's an example:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/758-cruise-ship-registry-flags-of-convenience-flag-state-control

Someone should tell the bridge.  They keep flying a Bahamas at Sea flag on her.

NE1908-114.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

So Malta for Pullmantur, Bahamas for RCI ships?

There are EU tax implications for a company operating in EU waters.  I guess Pullmantur chose Malta for all their ships for something related to taxes.  All Royal ships enjoy a different taxation when in the EU because Brilliance is flagged in Malta.    It's the token ship for the fleet.  

EDIT - Hmmm.  Maybe I remember that wrong.  It was a trivia question overheard at the Schooner Bar.  I'm blaming the Kraken.    

Edited by twangster

I was wondering when and why did the Empress ended up in Europe?  As I read Royal suspended operations Mar 13 and the last roll call I see before this date was March 7 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  The Empress next scheduled cruise is Nov 22 for a 6 day Caribbean cruise again.

Shak

44 minutes ago, Shak said:

I was wondering when and why did the Empress ended up in Europe?  As I read Royal suspended operations Mar 13 and the last roll call I see before this date was March 7 for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  The Empress next scheduled cruise is Nov 22 for a 6 day Caribbean cruise again.

Shak

Empress and Majesty moved crew to Southampton (I think). The "when" was sometime before this thread was started in July.

Edited by NancyIL

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Shak

There are a couple of ships out of position.  Once a restart is announced it will be interesting to see which ones head where and when.  Anthem, Allure and Explorer are also on the wrong side of the pond for their next bookable cruise in November.  Once we see them crossing the Atlantic it will be a sign that something is getting ready to happen.  

Perhaps they are thinking that flights to Europe will be easier for crew coming back and then a 14 day crossing is a quarantine to satisfy the US god of cruising.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

There are a couple of ships out of position.  Once a restart is announced it will be interesting to see which ones head where and when.  Anthem, Allure and Explorer are also on the wrong side of the pond for their next bookable cruise in November.  Once we see them crossing the Atlantic it will be a sign that something is getting ready to happen.  

Perhaps they are thinking that flights to Europe will be easier for crew coming back and then a 14 day crossing is a quarantine to satisfy the US god of cruising.   

Is Jewel still in Med?

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Is Jewel still in Med?

UK.  I didn't look in Asia or Australia.  Australia's four ships face an uncertain 2020-2021 season.  

Voyager, Ovation and Radiance are all over 4,000 NM from there next bookable cruise.  Serenade is hanging out near Barbados with a next bookable cruise from Sydney.  That's a long way to go starting from the wrong ocean... over 10k NM.  Sucks too that the Panama Canal charges based on # of berths, not the number of guests on board.  Maybe they can catch a break from them.  

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1