Cruise Critic Community

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Now that RCG has released their Healthy Sail Plan with the following:

31. All cruise operators should upgrade the HVAC systems on their ships to, ideally, MERV 13 filters to minimize pathogen dispersal from infected guests and crew. 

32. Cruise operators’ indoor air management strategies should be optimized given the constraints of ship age and ventilation type. 

Wondering how the age and ventilation of Empress, together with very few balcony cabins and lack of fuel efficiency, will factor into the equation.  I know there was a dance cruise out of Miami scheduled in early November on Empress that was cancelled -- that was probably the bulk of the passengers.  That sailing has been removed from the RCI site.  Not looking good for her. 

Excellent points, I wasn’t thinking about how difficult it might be to refit an older ship to meet the new requirements. 

8 hours ago, renieg813 said:

They should keep Empress for those of us who love this small beautiful calm ship. I’m sure there are lots of people who prefer not to have all of the bells and whistles 

They don't care, they will only keep a ship that have a high profit. Right now, even if they would care, they might not afford to keep her. Royal needs to keep costs down.

Looks like Empress is taking on bunker fuel.  The tanker 'Vanna' is alongside right now. 

Vanna still at it.  After approaching earlier this morning Vanna remains alongside Empress 4 hours later.

Empress is in the company of a number of cargo and tanker ships at anchor also being refueled.   

Malta must have "cheap gas" so Empress stopped by to "top up her tank".  

Healthy sail recommendation #66 below is going to be tough on Empress. It currently have quad cabins for crew. You are talking about a huge increase in converting passenger cabins to accommodate crew if the single occupancy crew cabin recommendation is enacted.

66  - Crew should be placed in single-occupancy crew cabins whenever possible to minimize extended periods of close contact with other crew members.

Edited by coaster

Anchor is home, underway using engines.  Destination Heraklion on Crete.

Past local news reported Heraklion as a stop related to CV-19 testing upon arrival into Greece and Crete.

This little voyage may have just been to top up the tanks.

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thanks for keeping an eye on her. I'm following.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Anchor is home, underway using engines.  Destination Heraklion on Crete.

Past local news reported Heraklion as a stop related to CV-19 testing upon arrival into Greece and Crete.

I booked January 31,2021 Empress cruise after reading your review.  I appreciate your posts..

My 10/4/2021 Canadian Adventure is still showing as bookable on the big box and scanner sites. Who knows?

4 hours ago, coaster said:

Healthy sail recommendation #66 below is going to be tough on Empress. It currently have quad cabins for crew. You are talking about a huge increase in converting passenger cabins to accommodate crew if the single occupancy crew cabin recommendation is enacted.

66  - Crew should be placed in single-occupancy crew cabins whenever possible to minimize extended periods of close contact with other crew members.

Yes, that would be difficult on the Empress; less so if there is reduced passenger capacity.  Here is the entire verbiage from the report on recommendation #66:

"An important way to protect crew members from potential exposure to COVID-19 is to place crew in single-occupancy crew rooms whenever possible to minimize close contact time with other crew members. As ships begin sailing at reduced capacity, this should be easier for cruise operators to accomplish. As the number of guests on board increases, so too will the quantity of crew required, and double rooming may be necessary. While the Panel’s understanding is that it is quite uncommon on modern cruise ships to have large crew bunk rooms (i.e., four or more individuals), the Panel strongly recommends against such arrangements, since they would substantially increase the risk of exposing crew to SARS-CoV-2. Additionally, as noted in the air management recommendations, filtration and other HVAC strategies are important across all areas of the ship, including in crew-specific common areas and cabins."

Just a thought--If there is a new President and he restores Cuba relationship, with a resumption of cruising to Cuba, how does that change prospects for Empress?

Good question!  Royal brought the Empress back specifically for this purpose.  I do not think any other Royal ship will fit in that harbor/dock.

My guess is that there is no rush to scrap/sell her (even though there is an on-going conversation about just that on CC) as long as the financial situation remains the same.  If cruising gets continually delayed due to COVID then all bets are off.

20 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Just a thought--If there is a new President and he restores Cuba relationship, with a resumption of cruising to Cuba, how does that change prospects for Empress?

So maybe we'll know the fate of Empress shortly after election day 🤔

Would Love to sail to Cuba on Empress again!

Majesty can and has docked in Havana -- but her fate might be the same as Empress. The Cuba relations thing won't be reversed overnight - it will take some time. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.58.27 PM.png

Just now, livingonthebeach said:

Majesty can and has docked in Havana -- but her fate might be the same as Empress. The Cuba relations thing won't be reversed overnight - it will take some time. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.58.27 PM.png

Yes, I had forgotten that she was doing Cuba runs also!  Thanks for pointing that out.

Intersting article about the RCI owned Pullmantur looking to restart operations...and it hints that Empress and Majesty are in the area for a reason!!!  

https://www.cruisecapital.co.uk/pullmantur-is-looking-to-restart-cruise-operations/?fbclid=IwAR0iFZiolYOfbYTdmUmo4pp4A1TA-q5_JUxTpha5-KOKlL51HQiyOSKb2u0

41 minutes ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Intersting article about the RCI owned Pullmantur looking to restart operations...and it hints that Empress and Majesty are in the area for a reason!!!  

https://www.cruisecapital.co.uk/pullmantur-is-looking-to-restart-cruise-operations/?fbclid=IwAR0iFZiolYOfbYTdmUmo4pp4A1TA-q5_JUxTpha5-KOKlL51HQiyOSKb2u0

Interesting...one thing I don't get is they scrapped Monarch which is a year younger than Empress?? Doesn't make sense. 

11 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Interesting...one thing I don't get is they scrapped Monarch which is a year younger than Empress?? Doesn't make sense. 

Pullmantur's bankruptcy may have forced that.

Easy way to get rid of old ships. They had plans to move Grandeur to Pullmantur before the outbreak.

Empress did a brief stop in Heraklion as expected and is now underway back to Souda Bay.  

In other news, the "chat" icon now appears in the Royal app for Empress for a November cruise.

1219867873_Empresschat.thumb.jpg.f2fb29edc7c5be7d97f5d83b4d0a2079.jpg

Historically this experimental feature was only available on Allure and Harmony. 

It doesn't work unless you are on the ship so there is no way to know if this is a glitch or a sign that this promised feature is soon to arrive across the fleet including Empress.  

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

In other news, the "chat" icon now appears in the Royal app for Empress for a November cruise.

Historically this experimental feature was only available on Allure and Harmony. 

It doesn't work unless you are on the ship so there is no way to know if this is a glitch or a sign that this promised feature is soon to arrive across the fleet including Empress.   

It will work on Empress if there is an Empress for it to work on.