Princess Hotels - Rome Question

Princess web site says there are 4 Princess Rome hotel packages in what used to be called the extend your stay program.  My T.A. says that's wrong there is just one.  When I call Princess to get the true answer I either get an immediate "BYE" and hang-up or a forever hold from H*ll.  Does anyone have a way to find out which source is truthful?  The Princess web site or my T.A.?  Without access to the Princess Polar booking system I''m stuck for an answer.

It may depend on the date you are sailing as some hotels may already be booked (they often do book far in advance) and it may also depend on how many days you are looking at. Some may only be available for one night and others for 3 nights. So if you are looking at three nights, there may only be one option.

What sailing date?

Edited by Coral

December, 2021 - 2 or 3 days - Princess web page says the number of days is acceptable to all 4 hotels.  One of the four is under construction and opens in September, 2020.  The one the T.A says is the only one available is old and has occasional plumbing issues.

Edited by Princess Chatterer

It may be very helpful to go to the Italy board. There is a TON of hotel information. If course it would not be in reference to Princess. We stayed in Rome 3 nights pre cruise and it was fabulous!

We prefer to stay in the Centro Storico.  The hotels listed on the Princess site are kind of off the beaten path and not near the sites you'd want to visit.

You would do much better location and cost wise booking a hotel on your own.  Transportation from the airport to your hotel and to the port is easily arranged.

As @nini mentioned above, check out the Italy Ports Board for a wealth of information...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Princess Chatterer said:

December, 2021 - 2 or 3 days - Princess web page says the number of days is acceptable to all 4 hotels.  One of the four is under construction and opens in September, 2020.  The one the T.A says is the only one available is old and has occasional plumbing issues.

Buildings are old in Rome. It is an old city 🙂 Check back in a few months.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, the cruise lines more than likely use hotels

fairly close to the airport or in an area of Rome that may not be very central.

Our hotel was a VERY old refurbished building and was very central- we were

able to walk everywhere we wanted to go; this is true of most hotels where people

like to stay. We walked to the Vatican, the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, and went on

a Twilight Food Tour that was amazing.

Off topic, but in Rome, we stayed at the Hotel Waldorf Astoria, also known as the Hilton Rome Cavalieri.  Extremely luxurious.  But expensive.  The breakfast buffet (included in our rate) was AMAZING. 

The location is NOT great -- they have a free shuttle into town, which you will need to use, because virtually nothing is within walking distance.

21 hours ago, Princess Chatterer said:

Princess web site says there are 4 Princess Rome hotel packages in what used to be called the extend your stay program.  My T.A. says that's wrong there is just one.  When I call Princess to get the true answer I either get an immediate "BYE" and hang-up or a forever hold from H*ll.  Does anyone have a way to find out which source is truthful?  The Princess web site or my T.A.?  Without access to the Princess Polar booking system I''m stuck for an answer.

We were scheduled on a Mediterranean cruise Barcelona to Rome on the Enchanted Princess this October that was canceled. I booked a year in advance and still was on the waitlist for Rome package. The cost of a good hotel plus transportation from the pier and then after two days in Rome to the airport was more expensive than the Princess package because the port is so far from Rome. We were number 10 on the waitlist and just got off it a month before the cruise was canceled. We chose the highest rated hotel which was in a great location. We rescheduled the cruise for October 2021 and are now back on the waitlist (3). I like Princess to take care of the logistics. Worry and Stress free. We’ve loved all the pre or post hotels we’ve stayed in. When I signed up at booking there was a choice of three with escalating prices. Only my TA had access to book. Who knows what’s going on now. Good Luck

• Like 1

Treasure Hunter:  If you need to do your own transportation arrangements from your Rome hotel to the Port of Civitavecchia, we recommend RomeCabs.  The pickup at the hotel was right on time, the car was very nice and the driver was great.  He dropped us off right in front of the terminal building.  [This was X, not Princess.]  130 euros, cash.

• Like 1

Thanks, good to know if we don't make it off the wait list.  But it would be reverse. We'd be standing at the port looking for our driver and that's what I don't want to do. Of course this is assuming and hoping that we can go. 

Edited by Treasure Hunter

19 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Rome is chock a block full of great hotels in great locations.  We like staying in San Piedrini near the Trevi and Pantheon.  So much to see and do within easy walking distance.  Why confine yourself to Princess hotels?

Couldn't agree more. We always stay at the IQ Hotel which is a fairly small hotel near Termini Station.. Great breakfast and rooftop bar and relaxing area and laundries if you need to catch up with the washing. About a 15-20 minute flat walk to most of the main attractions.

On disembarkment day, we took Princess disembarkment Rome excursion that dropped us off at the airport.  We walked through the airport, through the parking area walkway to the Hilton Rome Airport hotel attached to the airport.  A great way to see Rome sites and be dropped off at the airport for our flight the next day.  We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel.  The coach drops off at the train station then to the airport.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Thanks, good to know if we don't make it off the wait list.  But it would be reverse. We'd be standing at the port looking for our driver and that's what I don't want to do. Of course this is assuming and hoping that we can go. 

We didn't find it that hard to find our driver when we disembarked in Rome. All the drivers were waiting right outside the terminal with a sign with our name.  I prefer a ride in a nice car than a long ride on a bus. Romecabs has always been great.  We have used them several times in Rome. Always been non stressful for us.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Treasure Hunter:  If you need to do your own transportation arrangements from your Rome hotel to the Port of Civitavecchia, we recommend RomeCabs.  The pickup at the hotel was right on time, the car was very nice and the driver was great.  He dropped us off right in front of the terminal building.  [This was X, not Princess.]  130 euros, cash.

I have used Rome cabs as well, excellent service.  Have book from hotel to ship, plus ship to hotel, very professional and reliable.  Can book on line in advance pay on day of service in euros.  Ref hotels, we always stay at the Hilton at Rome Airport, hotel has a free shuttle bus to the center of Rome.  We find that easy for flying in and out of Rome.   I would not book hotel thru any cruise line you pay far more than you would do on your own.   Can book over the phone via "800" number or on line and have an email confirmation.  

Thanks, you are very helpful and I appreciate it. I just hope we can go . I still have Delta business class tixs from the cancelled cruise. I’m hoping they’ll refund rather than an e credit . The airline rep said to wait closer to October.  I spent the spring of my junior year in college in Rome 1968! We stayed in a pensione. I wonder if it’s still there. It was near the Roman baths. 

12 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Thanks, you are very helpful and I appreciate it. I just hope we can go . I still have Delta business class tixs from the cancelled cruise. I’m hoping they’ll refund rather than an e credit . The airline rep said to wait closer to October.  I spent the spring of my junior year in college in Rome 1968! We stayed in a pensione. I wonder if it’s still there. It was near the Roman baths. 

Remember if Delta cancels the flight or changes you to other flights, you have the right to ask for a full refund.