FCC value for canceled cruise not adding up

edgeman61

We had our September 2020 cruise out of Vancouver cancelled by Princess.  We were given the option of requesting a full refund or leaving out money with Princess and receiving a FCC bonus (the total not to exceed the price of the cruise).

We had paid Princess a total of $2300 (including our onboard FCC from a previous cruise) on a voyage that was $3117 in cruise fare (only).  By my calculations we should have received a FCC of $3117.

I just logged into myPrincess and saw that the amount of FCC applied was ~$1550 which isn't even the amount of my money that they are holding.  Is it possible that they have applied a FCC to my loyalty number and one to my wife's (she doesn't have a myPrincess account).  We were taking my 80 yo mother with us (her first cruise), I certainly hope they didn't split some of the FCC to her because she will never cruise after this COVID outbreak.

Will call (try to) Princess tomorrow to figure out whats going on.  If anyone has had a similar experience and have successfully resolved it please respond.

Thanks,

Yes. The FCC is posted to each cruiser’s own captain’s circle account. Even though your wife doesn’t have a myPrincess account she still has her own number and her credits will be attached to her. The same for your mother. 

Edited by Storm Monkey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

We had our September 2020 cruise out of Vancouver cancelled by Princess.  We were given the option of requesting a full refund or leaving out money with Princess and receiving a FCC bonus (the total not to exceed the price of the cruise).

We had paid Princess a total of $2300 (including our onboard FCC from a previous cruise) on a voyage that was $3117 in cruise fare (only).  By my calculations we should have received a FCC of $3117.

I just logged into myPrincess and saw that the amount of FCC applied was ~$1550 which isn't even the amount of my money that they are holding.  Is it possible that they have applied a FCC to my loyalty number and one to my wife's (she doesn't have a myPrincess account).  We were taking my 80 yo mother with us (her first cruise), I certainly hope they didn't split some of the FCC to her because she will never cruise after this COVID outbreak.

I agree with Storm Monkey. If you paid for all three fares, then any FCCs will be split three ways.

Questions:

When you say "onboard FCC from a previous cruise" do you mean you used a Future Cruise Deposit you purchased or did you use a Future Cruise Credit that you had received for some reason from Princess?

When you say you "FCC applied was ~$1550", is this what you received from Princess for this cancelled cruise or is it the FCC from a previous cruise?

If the $1550 is what you received from Princess for the cancelled cruise, is this a single entry or a total of multiple entries?

Knowing these answers can help is figuring out what happened.

• Like 1

I apologize,, I used a future deposit (FCD) not a future credit (FCC) when I booked this cruise.  

The credit breakdown ( from what I recall) was $100 for the original FCD and equal amounts for the payment and cancellation bonus.  

It is somewhat frustrating if part of the compensation was assigned to my mother as she has never cruised with Princess or anyone else and will likely never agree to book another cruise in the future.  As I am the one who made all of the payments it would have been cleaner (from my perspective) if I could have all the credits under my Captains Circle number because I'll be the one booking the next cruise.

I'll follow up with Princess to figure out their numbers.  Kind of makes me wish I had opted for the full refund.

22 minutes ago, edgeman61 said:

I apologize,, I used a future deposit (FCD) not a future credit (FCC) when I booked this cruise.  

The credit breakdown ( from what I recall) was $100 for the original FCD and equal amounts for the payment and cancellation bonus.  

It is somewhat frustrating if part of the compensation was assigned to my mother as she has never cruised with Princess or anyone else and will likely never agree to book another cruise in the future.  As I am the one who made all of the payments it would have been cleaner (from my perspective) if I could have all the credits under my Captains Circle number because I'll be the one booking the next cruise.

I'll follow up with Princess to figure out their numbers.  Kind of makes me wish I had opted for the full refund.

4 hours ago, edgeman61 said:

I just logged into myPrincess and saw that the amount of FCC applied was ~$1550...

OK.

You paid $2300 total as deposits that covered all three passengers.

Over the three passengers, you should have received a total of the original $2300 plus the bonus 100% of another $2300. This is a total of $4600. The $3117 you thought was the limit was just for the bonus which, at $2300 was less than $3117.

You say you saw in your own myPrincess account about $1550.  Well, $4600/3 is $1533.33 a passenger.

Looks like when you add up the total in each passenger's myPrincess account (including the ones you have not set up yet), you will have received about what you should have in FCCs.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

It sounds as if it is time for some authority to instruct Princess (and the other cruise lines) to provide a passenger with details of where a figure that is refunded, or converted to an FCC. comes from.

For a figure of, say, $4375.82 to suddenly appear on a credit card without an explanation is most annoying and even more so when the cruise line refuses to answer a question that requests information as to the sum that has appeared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

It sounds as if it is time for some authority to instruct Princess (and the other cruise lines) to provide a passenger with details of where a figure that is refunded, or converted to an FCC. comes from.

For a figure of, say, $4375.82 to suddenly appear on a credit card without an explanation is most annoying and even more so when the cruise line refuses to answer a question that requests information as to the sum that has appeared.

Well today I called in to check on status of the rest of my refund, and got a really nice and helpful rep.  She actually went through line by line and gave me the gift card #'s for each card (over $4K worth) as well as the exact amount of refund for my credit card refund.  Now granted I have a spreadsheet with all my amounts paid and sources of payments, and knew exactly what they owed me, so it made it very easy for me to verify if it was processed correctly.  But if you get the right person they can be very nice and helpful.  Good Luck!

• Like 2

It seems like I was $200 short of what I thought I was getting. It appeared hat we got an additional $100 for every FCC we had used on the cancelled cruise but when I finally got the last monies deposited in my account($410 port charges) it was only $210

A full refund would have gone to the card that paid for the cruises. The FCC got split up among those who were booked. Another reason to take a refund rather than "bonus" FCC. I'm sure a lot of folks who took the FCC are going to be disappointed to find that it went to folks who will never cruise again. Good for Princess but not so good for the person who paid for the cruises.

It is complicated.  I decided I wanted the FCC.  So my cabin mates also had to apply for same.  We were each given back allotted amounts (3rd party got less).  FCD WAS included in FCC.  I thought all was settled.  Until Princess refunded my credit card the entire amount for the three passengers (port taxes and insurance).  Of which I had to write check to the others.  

As Thrak stated, if there was a chance that the third party would never cruise again, I would have opted for a full refund to the credit card(s) charged.  In my case, the FCC was very generous and I intend to use it when Princess sails again.

I am sure with everything going on, better, more extensive communication is not likely. We had cruises cancelled by Princess and took option 1. We got our basic fare and fees within 60 days but nothing about pre paid air and couple of other items. I saw on here that some folks had opted for credit card refunds which we didn't . Yesterday in checking, I found that my Captains Circle account now has double FCC's so those have been refunded-I got an email from Princess telling us they were there after I found them in the personalizer.  I then checked my credit card and found the amounts for pre paid air etc. had been credited. Pleasant surprise but wish someone had told us.  In the end, we are back to where we started and now have 4 future cruise booked with 3 paid for and some wonderful OBC to use.  Hope things are ready to go by April

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

A full refund would have gone to the card that paid for the cruises. The FCC got split up among those who were booked. Another reason to take a refund rather than "bonus" FCC. I'm sure a lot of folks who took the FCC are going to be disappointed to find that it went to folks who will never cruise again. Good for Princess but not so good for the person who paid for the cruises.

At least with the Pause 3 and Pause 4 cruises, if you request FCCs vs. refunds for deposits (no final payment made), the FCC for what you did actually pay is refundable although the bonus FCC is not refundable.

So if at some point you know you will never cruise again, you can request the refundable FCC to be refunded.

The OP had not made final payment, so at some point the refundable part for his mother's FCC can be refunded to her.

"Some point" seems to be 12 months after the refundable FCC is posted according to another thread.

(I have no idea how they will do that type of refunding since the original payment was not by the mother's credit card. I suspect a check would be issued.)

• Like 1

We have just noted that our first FCC which we received in February when our Asia cruise was cancelled expires at end of Feb 2021. We tried to use it in May on a cruise to the Baltic and again that was cancelled . However Princess has kept the credit showing  the original expiry date.  That does not seem fair and we are asking if they can extend it as there has been no opportunity to use it.

Until Government allows us to cruise these cruise credits are worthless especially if they do not extend the expiry dates on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KetoCruiser said:

We have just noted that our first FCC which we received in February when our Asia cruise was cancelled expires at end of Feb 2021. We tried to use it in May on a cruise to the Baltic and again that was cancelled . However Princess has kept the credit showing  the original expiry date.  That does not seem fair and we are asking if they can extend it as there has been no opportunity to use it.

Until Government allows us to cruise these cruise credits are worthless especially if they do not extend the expiry dates on them

Are you sure? I was under the impression all of these FCCs are good until May of 2022.

Our cruise to Asia was in mid Feb and they cancelled it 2 weeks before we were due to sail. We received full refund + 50% FCC as compensation which had to be used before  end Feb 2021. 

We booked a Baltic Cruise using the FCC and that was later cancelled and that FCC expiry date remains the same as the initial one. Don’t understand why taking it up with Princess.

35 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@KetoCruiser

used before  end Feb 2021

Check if it actually means "USED", as in the cruise has to be "taken" by then, or "BOOKED" before then.

Princess has just informed us that our FCC is ready to use .On the breakdown it states the expiry (sail date ) as 28 Feb 2021 for the first element of the FCC we received from our cancelled cruise in Feb. The other 2 elements have a 2022 sail by date.

17 minutes ago, KetoCruiser said:

Princess has just informed us that our FCC is ready to use .On the breakdown it states the expiry (sail date ) as 28 Feb 2021 for the first element of the FCC we received from our cancelled cruise in Feb. The other 2 elements have a 2022 sail by date.

Doesn't seem fair to have that early of a date, considering all the pauses and you not being able to use them in time.  I definitely would be questioning that.  

5 hours ago, KetoCruiser said:

Our cruise to Asia was in mid Feb and they cancelled it 2 weeks before we were due to sail. We received full refund + 50% FCC as compensation which had to be used before  end Feb 2021. 

We booked a Baltic Cruise using the FCC and that was later cancelled and that FCC expiry date remains the same as the initial one. Don’t understand why taking it up with Princess.

You should request to speak to Customer Relations and ask for a later expiration date.

We are trying to book a British isles cruise in May 21 using this FCC, our Travel Agent is Speaking to Princess to ask them to extend the deadline as April/ May is the earliest we can take a cruise from Southampton and it was not our fault we did not use the credit, Princess cancelled the cruise.

If Princess doesn’t extend it, I don’t think I will book with Princess again, and pursue getting a refund rather than taking cruise credits Which they don’t seem to honour .

we are in the recent Phase 4 cancellations ...

not paid in full, we opted for the double your amount paid as FCC

our original amount paid is REFUNDABLE FCC

the 'bonus/double' amount is NON-refundable

use by May 1, 2022

4 hours ago, KetoCruiser said:

We are trying to book a British isles cruise in May 21 using this FCC, our Travel Agent is Speaking to Princess to ask them to extend the deadline as April/ May is the earliest we can take a cruise from Southampton and it was not our fault we did not use the credit, Princess cancelled the cruise.

If Princess doesn’t extend it, I don’t think I will book with Princess again, and pursue getting a refund rather than taking cruise credits Which they don’t seem to honour .

Just heard back from our TA and Princess has extended the FCC to cover our May 2021 cruise around British Isles. 

Thanks Princess

I called Princess last Saturday, as others suspected my deposit and bonus FCC was divided among the three passengers (although not evenly).  The deposit was distributed as follows:  my mother (the third passenger) received her entire reduced cruise fare, my wife and I received our FCD and the remainder of the deposit split evenly between us.  The bonus FCC was divided evenly between all passengers.

I explained my mother's situation regarding her age and reluctance to cruise in today's COVID environment, she was sympathetic but explained that she couldn't do anything for me and suggested that I appeal to Customer Relations and explain my situation,  which I did in a letter.  I am now waiting (probably for a while) to hear back regarding this matter.

Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had filed for the full refund although the cancellation bonus was very generous.

BTW, is there an email address for Princess customer relations as I ended up sending a physical letter via the USPS?

9 minutes ago, edgeman61 said:

BTW, is there an email address for Princess customer relations as I ended up sending a physical letter via the USPS?

Go to https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/customerCare.page

Fill out the Online Support Request.

Snail mail may not be getting much attention these days with so many of the employees working from home.