Celebrity Suspensions Extended (Merged Discussions)

WNcruiser

11 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I saw something on Goggle this morning about X cancelling all cruises through October except for two from Australia.  I can not find that article now, so I do not know if it was pulled. However if the cruises in October are not being shown on the website I would bet money X is cancelling them.

Conveniently right after final payment.  🍷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

I have said it before, and I will say it again:

There will be no cruises in the USA until there is an effective vaccine.

Personally, I will not put a deposit on a cruise until that time.  

Hogwash. We already have cruises in Germany with no vaccine, no reason we can't have the same here at some point.

2 hours ago, begood2me said:

I suppose it's a personal choice to loan money to a business for the defined return you're receiving.  

It's not loaning money. You are getting a product from them... a cruise isn't an investment! LOL

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

There will be no cruise ships in US waters until the CDC says so.

And if a vaccine is required, it would mean an end to cruising for many, many people who will refuse to be vaccinated, just as they refuse to wear masks.

Their loss.

• Thanks 1

Yup, checked a number of websites and those cruises are missing. Interesting that the Apex has it’s Nov and on Caribbean cruises available.  Some posters could be right in that Celebrity is trying to evaluate passenger ‘load’, or could be a clear cancelation of passengers for those TA’s, which are all missing. Or they could be figuring how to allow UK/Euro passengers to do the TA’s since getting US citizens over to UK/Spain and bring them back would not be possible.

I had cancelled my TA just before the final payment. Already have a goodly amount in FCC’s for X and Viking, so decided enough was enough. Very sad we won’t be on the Apex TA. Hope if works for those still committed that X is somehow just restricting numbers, but I didn’t bet on it and gave up. 

What a mess all these businesses are finding themselves in. Too bad we’ve put ourselves in this situation, but thats what happens when we ignore science and ‘science’ is in control. In my old life, more than a few times I And my team had to explain to a senior manager that no matter how much money they wanted to throw at a problem, trying to go against physics wasn’t going to work out.....fortunately in that business, they listened, usually. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or they could be figuring how to allow UK/Euro passengers to do the TA’s since getting US citizens over to UK/Spain and bring them back would not be possible.

The US suspended entry for non-US citizens who have been in the UK or Schengen zone for the last 14 days back in March, and that restriction has not yet been lifted.

US citizens aren't banned from entering the UK, but they would have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  Not ideal, but feasible.

So although TAs are currently highly unlikely for passengers from either side of the Pond, right now it's more feasible for US citizens than it is for UK/Schengen because we wouldn't be allowed to step foot off the ship on arrival in the US.

Edited by Tigrou

3 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

It's not loaning money. You are getting a product from them... a cruise isn't an investment! LOL

You are not getting a cruise.  You are getting a Future Cruise Credit which you have no idea the cost.  You could in fact be losing money in the bargain.  We'll use round numbers, if you give them $1000 and they give you $1250 of credit, you are not necessarily getting the same value for the $1000.  You might actually not be able to buy the same item for $1250.  It might now cost you $1500 to purchase the cruise. There is risk to your investment.  You aren't guaranteed anything other than a Future Cruise Credit which may or may not have value.  You are also risking the Cruise Line declaring bankruptcy and your FCC is worth nothing.  That may or may not happen.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

The US suspended entry for non-US citizens who have been in the UK or Schengen zone for the last 14 days back in March, and that restriction has not yet been lifted.

US citizens aren't banned from entering the UK, but they would have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  Not ideal, but feasible.

So although TAs are currently highly unlikely for passengers from either side of the Pond, right now it's more feasible for US citizens than it is for UK/Schengen because we wouldn't be allowed to step foot off the ship on arrival in the US.

There's zero chance that a TA would be one of the first cruises to restart.  Every single expert states that short cruises would be first to go.  

• Thanks 1

We were booked on the October 31, Constellation, Barcelona to Tampa. I got some information today that may be of note. My final payment date is August 2. I called to cancel today. Rep put me on hold for 15 minutes while she 'checked'. She came back on the line and said, 'she (supervisor) has extended your payment date to Monday August 3.'  I asked why and she said there may be an announcement that day about this cruise. 

So maybe something's up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sasset said:

We were booked on the October 31, Constellation, Barcelona to Tampa. I got some information today that may be of note. My final payment date is August 2. I called to cancel today. Rep put me on hold for 15 minutes while she 'checked'. She came back on the line and said, 'she (supervisor) has extended your payment date to Monday August 3.'  I asked why and she said there may be an announcement that day about this cruise. 

So maybe something's up.

But why keep everyone in suspense all weekend? They should make the announcement at the same time (or before) they remove the cruises from the website. We all enough have stress in our lives right now, I dont need two days of wondering if my cruise is cancelled or not. 

Edited by WNcruiser

I’ve checked Celebrity website October cruises still all gone except Australia n S Pacific, if they came back up it wasn’t for long!

my balance for Oct 12 cruise was due on Friday they delayed for a week as she was sure an announcement was due this coming week 

10 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

But why keep everyone in suspense all weekend? They should make the announcement at the same time (or before) they remove the cruises from the website. We all enough have stress in our lives right now, I dont need two days of wondering if my cruise is cancelled or not. 

They would NOT make such an impacting announcement during the weekend. Their lines would be completely flooded, and I suppose they have more employees working on Mondays compared to Saturdays/Sundays. Likewise for TAs, some TAs are completely closed during the weekend, and wouldn't be reachable before Monday anyway.

I must admit I am starting to have doubts about our April 2021 Apex sailing from Port Everglades. The ship is still sitting in the wharf in France, and with the October sailings gone, Apex' transatlantic sailing which would have started on October 22 has ALSO been cancelled. Of course, the ship may do the TA sailing without passengers, so essentially a "ferry" sailing, but it could also suggest that Apex won't be sailing any Caribbean cruises during the upcoming Winter season, instead launching directly for the Summer 2021 Mediterranean sailings (if even that!). This would be really bad, since we have already booked flight tickets for the April sailing, which are technically non-refundable, however Lufthansa is currently offering a free rebooking for another 2021 date, hence Lift&Shift isn't really a possibility for us, since that would move the cruise to March/April 2021 and hence we wouldn't be able to use Lufthansa's rebooking offer.

13 hours ago, sasset said:

My final payment date is August 2. I called to cancel today. Rep put me on hold for 15 minutes while she 'checked'. She came back on the line and said, 'she (supervisor) has extended your payment date to Monday August 3.'  I asked why and she said there may be an announcement that day about this cruise.

Very nice giving you chance to opt for refund if they cancel by Monday.

We are on the Millie 25th October best of Japan cruise ,  saw it disappear yesterday.

They have only had the retreat “On sale” for the past 6 weeks .  Our final payment is due 28th of August  due to covid I don’t think I will pay , Celebrity will offer a FCC for the deposit , however I think I will take the refund . 

20 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Hogwash. We already have cruises in Germany with no vaccine, no reason we can't have the same here at some point.

look at the Hurtegurten Norway cruise, 36 crew members identified with covid .  Cruising is not safe yet 

24 minutes ago, Debbiem83 said:

It’s only on the UK site then.

showing 3 for oct 2020, just none leaving from the uk

0EC0476F-FF06-457D-9D6A-1D53686E4EC8.png

That does not show availability. Click October then click apply. There will only be 3 short Australia cruises on Solstice. ALL other cruises have been removed. 

I just got off the phone with my TA and she said that her parent company is already telling their agents that X cruises are cancelled through October except for 3 leaving from Australia.  She suspects X will make a full pubic announcement tomorrow.

Celebrity's TA's are closed through November.  That's Silhouette and Infinity, along with all those in October.  I suspect Royal Caribbean will follow next as they have a few TA's in November.  🍷