Melbourne Cup Cruise 2020 ???

27 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

We had no takeaways during our Level 4. It was amazing how many young people suddenly learned how to cook and prepare food .....

I remember being surprised that NZ didn't allow takeaways during your lockdown.  NZ is now the beneficiary of decisive action taken by your brave PM.

38 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

We had no takeaways during our Level 4. It was amazing how many young people suddenly learned how to cook and prepare food .....

I can imagine 🤣

Although supermarkets these days seem to have more and more heat and eat meals. A new supermarket that opened near us has a big aisle dedicated to those alone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Although supermarkets these days seem to have more and more heat and eat meals. A new supermarket that opened near us has a big aisle dedicated to those alone.

Pre-covid ( can't believe our often I say that now) I ran into a mate doing the shopping in Woolies. When I asked him what he was doing, he said that he was the cook now as his wife was incapacitated for a while & he smirked. I looked in his trolley and it was mostly pre-packaged meals for heating up. He said that's what we are eating now 🙂

Tough times ahead for Victoria it seems with more cases and more deaths. Just hoping that elsewhere is kept under control.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:06 PM, By The Bay said:

I need to find another travel experience. 🤔

Do you have camping equipment?  Glad we didn't sell our Canadian tent, which I love.  Last used at Woodfood Folk Festival at Christmas.  No festival this year.  Maybe Bluesfest, Easter 2021?

Edited by MMDown Under

13 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Tough times ahead for Victoria it seems with more cases and more deaths. Just hoping that elsewhere is kept under control.

Yes, Melbourne just isn't getting it under control. It's quite strange. They should be starting to see the effect of the lockdowns but they keep getting spikes that get bigger and bigger.

Julie

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Glad we didn't sell our Canadian tent, which I love.  Last used at Woodfood Folk Festival at Christmas.  No festival this year.  Maybe Bluesfest, Easter 2021?

We've still got a tent tucked away somewhere, I think, but I'm not sure I could handle camping these days. I'm getting too old and creaky. It will have to be hotels, motels or holiday apartments for us.

Julie

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've still got a tent tucked away somewhere, I think, but I'm not sure I could handle camping these days. I'm getting too old and creaky. It will have to be hotels, motels or holiday apartments for us.

Julie

Some caravan parks have en suites for camping sites, as well as camp kitchens.  Luxury!  I find you meet the most interesting people, from all walks of life, camping.  With this nasty virus, I want to be outside as much as possible.  Now Darwin holiday has been cancelled, camping is moving up!

18 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, Melbourne just isn't getting it under control. It's quite strange. They should be starting to see the effect of the lockdowns but they keep getting spikes that get bigger and bigger.

Julie

I read this morning that there could be a lag of 10 days from when tests are taken to the results being announced.  So today's announcement could have been tested just after it became mandatory to wear masks in Melbourne. There is also a growing number of cases in country and regional Victoria. But yes, you would think there would be a fall by now, evidently going through workplaces possibly.

Leigh

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Julie

Another issue is the lack of transparency from the government. They have tracers but they don't reveal where all these cases are popping up from in most cases. 

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

Another issue is the lack of transparency from the government. They have tracers but they don't reveal where all these cases are popping up from in most cases. 

Very true. That is concerning. We have commented about it often but journalists are not asking these questions at the press conferences.  

Leigh

25 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I read this morning that there could be a lag of 10 days from when tests are taken to the results being announced.  So today's announcement could have been tested just after it became mandatory to wear masks in Melbourne. There is also a growing number of cases in country and regional Victoria. But yes, you would think there would be a fall by now, evidently going through workplaces possibly.

Leigh

Yikes, 10 days is a big lag. I was expecting 2, or 3 at most.

Julie

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Very true. That is concerning. We have commented about it often but journalists are not asking these questions at the press conferences.  

Leigh

They should be releasing at least the basic numbers per suburb in the press releases unless they are available online. 

47 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Do you have camping equipment?  Glad we didn't sell our Canadian tent, which I love.  Last used at Woodfood Folk Festival at Christmas.  No festival this year.  Maybe Bluesfest, Easter 2021?

I have an 8 person tent which I haven't used in donkey's years. We stayed in a cabin once when it was bucketing down and since then the DW will not return to camping. Has to be 4*'s at least now. Staycation looks what we will have do. The health advise is for us to stay out of Sydney. We might do the Riverboat Postman. We will just have to social distance with our 😷. Stay safe.

image.jpeg.bd427ab09b2fa6066baccda5dd8456d6.jpegimage.jpeg.6cdc797b00ed261f77a995c40af2d6db.jpeg

20 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

I recall hearing the majority of cases were from poorer areas.  Possibly due to residential overcrowding, meat works, age care centres, and distribution centres.

I recall reading about a Chinese owned big meat works in the US, which they had to close down after a lot of people died.  

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We might do the Riverboat Postman. We will just have to social distance with our 😷. Stay safe.

image.jpeg.bd427ab09b2fa6066baccda5dd8456d6.jpegimage.jpeg.6cdc797b00ed261f77a995c40af2d6db.jpeg

That looks like a fun outing. We must do it one day but not until things settle down again. At the moment we're just trying to stay local, apart from when we had to take our coffee machine for repair which meant *Shock! Horror!* heading south across the harbour bridge to Rosebery.

Julie

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I have an 8 person tent which I haven't used in donkey's years. We stayed in a cabin once when it was bucketing down and since then the DW will not return to camping. Has to be 4*'s at least now. Staycation looks what we will have do. The health advise is for us to stay out of Sydney. We might do the Riverboat Postman. We will just have to social distance with our 😷. Stay safe.

You can put the tent up somewhere where you can return home if it rains.  I loved that Riverboat Postman cruise.  Train trip from Sydney to boat for a relaxing scenic river trip. Enjoy!

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I recall hearing the majority of cases were from poorer areas.  Possibly due to residential overcrowding, meat works, age care centres, and distribution centres.

I recall reading about a Chinese owned big meat works in the US, which they had to close down after a lot of people died.  

The main areas of cases are the northern, north western and western parts of Greater Melbourne. These are a mixture of residential and industrial suburbs closer to the city including the public housing towers.  Then there are suburbs developed mostly between the world wars and tended to be built for working class but many of these areas are becoming quite desirable and more expensive. Then further out are new or newish suburbs such as Hoppers Crossing, Tarneit and Point Cook (which is quite an expensive area), Taylors Lakes and Caroline Springs.

Leigh

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The main areas of cases are the northern, north western and western parts of Greater Melbourne. These are a mixture of residential and industrial suburbs closer to the city including the public housing towers.  Then there are suburbs developed mostly between the world wars and tended to be built for working class but many of these areas are becoming quite desirable and more expensive. Then further out are new or newish suburbs such as Hoppers Crossing, Tarneit and Point Cook (which is quite an expensive area), Taylors Lakes and Caroline Springs.

Leigh

Not being a local, I don't know the suburb names, but I was intrigued where all these numbers were coming from.  I guess the locals must know from word of mouth.  

With such small numbers of infected people, at this stage, Queenslanders are following where these infected people have been.  Brisbane is a huge city in area, next to wall to wall development south of Brisbane to the Gold Coast.  It is amazing how many of the mentioned places, which my friends have visited during the week in question, when infected people were swanning around SEQld.

I would be impossible to keep up in Victoria.  

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This website is showing the active cases per LGA but not new cases on the day. https://covidlive.com.au/vic

The Covidlive website will update the Victorian LGA cases later each day (it's been updated now). The same website does have a list of cases per Victorian postcode but it hasn't been updated since last Friday. Our LGA is quite a long area mainly along the bay and we are at the southern end of it. Last Friday our postcode which only has two suburbs in it and a population of about 12,000 had 2 active cases but since then there have been an extra 38 cases in our LGA but we have no idea if the cases are close to us or in other parts of the city.

Leigh

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Not being a local, I don't know the suburb names, but I was intrigued where all these numbers were coming from.  I guess the locals must know from word of mouth.  

Sorry Marion, I'm not sure what you mean. 

Leigh

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The postcode list shows all the suburb names and how many active cases but not new cases. Still, at least I can see what's happening where family live.

Julie

I guess at the moment, we are more interested in the active cases in our postcode. If the list was updated regularly it would help. These figures were only released because of the insistence of one of the government MPs in our LGA.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

The VIC figures show a lot more detail than the NSW ones. We only get overall totals, no breakdown. However when they give the daily update for NSW they do say what clusters they are linked to but don't show what suburbs those people are in. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The VIC figures show a lot more detail than the NSW ones. We only get overall totals, no breakdown. However when they give the daily update for NSW they do say what clusters they are linked to but don't show what suburbs those people are in. 

Julie, I have been looking at this webpage for a while now and it's only since the numbers became so bad that there is more detail for Victoria.

Leigh