Cruise Critic Community
babs135

UK to America Without Flying or Cruising!!

An idle Saturday morning got me thinking 

If the worst case scenario were to happen and cruising either disappeared (gulp) or became very expensive  and you couldn't fly how would you get to America?  From the UK with a mixture of trains and car journeys I could get as far as Russia but then I'm stuck.  I'd be prepared to jump aboard a ferry or even a freighter.  Is this even possible?  Assuming it was I'd then hire a car and would be able to go through Alaska and Canada.  I could even go as far as the tip of South America. 

Sounds like a plan for someone a lot younger than me with no worries about time or money! 🤣

Lots of freighters take passengers.

Why would I even want to think about going to America in the current situation?

Cunard offers periodic trans-Atlantic service direct from Southampton to New York.   A lot of the passengers on QM2 would never want to  “cruise” - go on a ship from a particular port to just sail around, visiting ports here and there, and then return to the original port.

We use QM2 as a “ferry” to get home from periodic visits to England. It surely beats flying.

Posted (edited)

Calling Phileas Fogg, Calling Phileas Fogg, come in.

{Captain Nemo second choice}

Edited by evandbob

Posted (edited)

There is actually a number of people who do this. Just google round the world overland and you'll find lots of blogs of people who have or are currently doing this. They give tips on how to freighter your car and manage all the border crossings. It is quite fascinating🤗.

Edited by ilikeanswers

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

If the worst case scenario were to happen and cruising either disappeared (gulp) or became very expensive  and you couldn't fly how would you get to America?  From the UK with a mixture of trains and car journeys I could get as far as Russia but then I'm stuck.  I'd be prepared to jump aboard a ferry or even a freighter.  Is this even possible?  Assuming it was I'd then hire a car and would be able to go through Alaska and Canada.  I could even go as far as the tip of South America. 

Sounds like a plan for someone a lot younger than me with no worries about time or money! 🤣

At present, Alaska is as far as you can travel, as the Canada/US border is closed and will remain closed until the US effectively deals with COVID.

Yes, you can sail on cargo ships, which can carry up to 12 pax and still maintain cargo ship standards. Check out the appropriate Board on CC - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/378-freighter-and-other-non-traditional-cruise-travel/

Are there any companies that do private yacht charters from the UK to the US - although I can't imagine why you would want to do what you are proposing.  

DON

Oh to be younger - well, actually a lot younger  🤣 - with no responsibilities and all the time in the world and obviously no coronavirus.  It's quite a trip . I wonder if anyone has actually done it or something similar.  In the meantime I'll stick to crossing the Atlantic on the QM2 as soon as we're allowed to do so .

4 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Are there any companies that do private yacht charters from the UK to the US - although I can't imagine why you would want to do what you are proposing.  

DON

I don't .

11 hours ago, babs135 said:

Well, if you can get to Russia, then things ice over you could walk across the Bering straight to Alaska.  😄

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, if you can get to Russia, then things ice over you could walk across the Bering straight to Alaska.  😄

Global cooling?

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Global cooling?

Not sure of the question.  There is less ice in the Bering Straights now days than have been in the past.   

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Not sure of the question.  There is less ice in the Bering Straights now days than have been in the past.   

It  was a response to walking across the Bering Straight as a possibility.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

It  was a response to walking across the Bering Straight as a possibility.

While it has been done (kinda sorta), my comment was in jest.  

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Now that sounds like a plan!! 🤣🤣

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Another plan is to hope for a real cold winter and take the way from northern Russia, over the north pole and to northern Canada! No need for formal clothes but maybe some warm clothes is a good idea!   

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Another plan is to hope for a real cold winter and take the way from northern Russia, over the north pole and to northern Canada! No need for formal clothes but maybe some warm clothes is a good idea!   

Great idea!  I've watched the tv programme Ice Road Truckers so I know what to expect.  🤣

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Well, about formal close, a penguin suit might be appropriate!  😄😄😄

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Well, about formal close, a penguin suit might be appropriate!  😄😄😄

I don't think there are any penguins north of the Galapagos Islands!

12 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't think there are any penguins north of the Galapagos Islands!

Funny, the closest I've ever been to a whole group of penguin was at an aquarium in Norway.  Obviously, they weren't natives.   Mrs Ldubs referred to them as cool little dudes.  haha.   

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ldubs said:

If you are willing to go at the end of winter, it seems possible although not advisable.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2020/03/

It looks like it has been attempted previously by someone from the UK.

https://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132033&page=1

Edited by SelectSys

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Funny, the closest I've ever been to a whole group of penguin was at an aquarium in Norway.  Obviously, they weren't natives.   Mrs Ldubs referred to them as cool little dudes.  haha.   

I'm not an expert but think that the Galapagos penguins is the most northern living type of penguins. 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:28 PM, babs135 said:

suming it was I'd then hire a car and would be able to go through Alaska and Canada.  I could even go as far as the tip of South America. 

No you wouldn't, since you can't drive all the way in South America.

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

Actually, I think you would have to find a more northern route than the Bering Straight - likely straight over the top, from central Siberia to the northern Canadian islands - but you’d want to dress warmly.