Iceland - time ashore

jantoby

Was about to book for June but looking at Fred's vague times at the ports, of the 4 Icelandic ports, 2 show arriving Early PM and departing Late PM.  The brochure description says "aboard smaller ship Boudicca you'll be able to get close to the towns of Isafjorour and Seyoisfjorour and discover life in the more remote areas of Iceland".   Do they really mean 'get close' and not 'get in'?   

Has anyone done a cruise without a daytime stop in these 2 places - how does that work to be able to 'discover life' there?

Does your itinerary say whether you are docking or tendering at these ports?  It's been 12 years since we were there on QE2, and we had to tender at Isafjordur.  the town was right there, small and very walkable.  We did not visit your other port.  EM

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Does your itinerary say whether you are docking or tendering at these ports?  It's been 12 years since we were there on QE2, and we had to tender at Isafjordur.  the town was right there, small and very walkable.  We did not visit your other port.  EM

It's not shown as a tender port.  Boudicca's much smaller than the QE2 so no problem there.  

What's making me hold back from booking, is thinking that if we don't get there til 4 or 5 in the afternoon, there might be no tours, and I do want to take a boat tour to Vigur island to see the puffins.  

It occurs to me that - as in June sunset's not til midnight - tours might run in the evening.  

Just realised that neither the website nor brochure say whether you're scheduled to dock, or tender so they're no help.

On our last visit to Iceland in 2015 we couldn't get in to Ísafjörður because of the weather so can't tell you anything about it. Apparently this is not uncommon. There is a dock and Google Maps satellite view actually shows a cruise ship docked there but whether Fred plans to use it is anybody's guess.

Seyðisfjörður has the dock for the ferry to Denmark but whether it's suitable for, or used by, cruiseships I can't say.

Akureyri has a dock but we've docked once and tendered once so again I can't say what you're likely to do with any confidence.

Maybe Fred would tell you if you called them?

Not sure what you mean by "Has anyone done a cruise without a daytime stop ..." Like the dock/anchor situation I no longer see the definitions for the arrival departure times but it's along the lines of, Early PM = Midday to 4PM, Late PM = 4PM to 8PM. If I've completely missed the point just say.

10 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Not sure what you mean by "Has anyone done a cruise without a daytime stop ..." Like the dock/anchor situation I no longer see the definitions for the arrival departure times but it's along the lines of, Early PM = Midday to 4PM, Late PM = 4PM to 8PM. If I've completely missed the point just say.

My concern isn't tender or not - I don't mind either way.  It's getting there at a time allowing for tours to run.

Clearly my litle grey cells were still on lockdown.  I meant arriving late afternoon/early evening and leaving late evening.  I want to take a boat to Vigur island to see puffins, and wonder if there will still be tours, given that sunset isn't til midnight.

Ah! We both posted at the same time.

I've just noticed "anchor" symbols against some ports on other cruises suggesting that they are planning to dock at all your ports. So that's good news.

If they were doing evening tours and sailing very late (or even in the early hours) I'd expect to see the departure listed as "Late Night" rather than "Late PM" but anything's possible.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
And we posted at the same time again.

Yes, any tender ports are marked with an anchor (detailed anchor ports in the key).

I indeed see your point since Fred appears to have reduced his time slots from the times I have previously seen up to a year ago, although the following link does give a freephone number to ring for specific port times:-  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/faqs/general/how-long-will-we-be-docked-in-each-port-of-call  In fact we have often been in port shortly before midday when an early afternoon arrival has been detailed.

I can assure you Fred passengers will not like an evening sight seeing tour as some will be on a 6.15pm fixed dinner slot, so tours will be back by about 45 mins before then at the latest (unless there is a delay).  Also Fred will want to make cash from his shore tours, especially as not much else is spent on his smaller ships 🙂

If you go to Google Earth you will see both the ports you mention are very small places, so an afternoon is fine for both, though if you want a tour and time to stroll round as well it is perhaps better to consider other itineraries.  Be aware your spellings above are not correct, so check before any searches of the net or Google Earth.  Fred tends to do a fair bit of scenic cruising which he has put on itineraries of late, but has always been done - e.g. going up the coast of Norway has been in the inside channel, so a day at sea tended to be a day of scenic cruising when the other cruise lines will go out to sea.  I am not sure how much the bigger new ships may affect that sort of thing, though they will still have two of the original ones and even Balmoral can get into the Troll fjord, for instance, which is just about big enough to turn the ship around and get out again (weather and time dependent I think).

If you go to 'Destinations' on the section that appears to the LHS of Fred's homepage, you can get more info. about the ports - this is the Iceland ports from there:-  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/destination/iceland

I also find this website useful to look for ports, docking locations and potential trips as well as other ships in port when you are due to visit:-  https://www.whatsinport.com/ 

The problem with the less visited ports is that they can be somewhat difficult to find details for, especially on the more distant places, rather than just Europe etc., so travelling with Fred does make you quite resourceful,  but Iceland is looking OK from what I can see.  I have also found that once trips are available Fred's port tours dept have been very helpful regards the intended departure time of various trips, (which can also be useful if you want an idea of the docking time), so worth a phone call at times.

I do not know if you have been to Iceland before, but to see the more interesting parts (waterfalls, geysirs and bubbling mud pools etc.) you do need to go on trips of some kind from the larger ports of Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Happy searching,

Barbara   

Edited by tring

On 8/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, tring said:

Yes, any tender ports are marked with an anchor (detailed anchor ports in the key).

I indeed see your point since Fred appears to have reduced his time slots from the times I have previously seen up to a year ago, although the following link does give a freephone number to ring for specific port times:-  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/faqs/general/how-long-will-we-be-docked-in-each-port-of-call  In fact we have often been in port shortly before midday when an early afternoon arrival has been detailed.

I can assure you Fred passengers will not like an evening sight seeing tour as some will be on a 6.15pm fixed dinner slot, so tours will be back by about 45 mins before then at the latest (unless there is a delay).  Also Fred will want to make cash from his shore tours, especially as not much else is spent on his smaller ships 🙂

If you go to Google Earth you will see both the ports you mention are very small places, so an afternoon is fine for both, though if you want a tour and time to stroll round as well it is perhaps better to consider other itineraries.  Be aware your spellings above are not correct, so check before any searches of the net or Google Earth.  Fred tends to do a fair bit of scenic cruising which he has put on itineraries of late, but has always been done - e.g. going up the coast of Norway has been in the inside channel, so a day at sea tended to be a day of scenic cruising when the other cruise lines will go out to sea.  I am not sure how much the bigger new ships may affect that sort of thing, though they will still have two of the original ones and even Balmoral can get into the Troll fjord, for instance, which is just about big enough to turn the ship around and get out again (weather and time dependent I think).

If you go to 'Destinations' on the section that appears to the LHS of Fred's homepage, you can get more info. about the ports - this is the Iceland ports from there:-  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/destination/iceland

I also find this website useful to look for ports, docking locations and potential trips as well as other ships in port when you are due to visit:-  https://www.whatsinport.com/ 

The problem with the less visited ports is that they can be somewhat difficult to find details for, especially on the more distant places, rather than just Europe etc., so travelling with Fred does make you quite resourceful,  but Iceland is looking OK from what I can see.  I have also found that once trips are available Fred's port tours dept have been very helpful regards the intended departure time of various trips, (which can also be useful if you want an idea of the docking time), so worth a phone call at times.

I do not know if you have been to Iceland before, but to see the more interesting parts (waterfalls, geysirs and bubbling mud pools etc.) you do need to go on trips of some kind from the larger ports of Reykjavik and Akureyri.

Happy searching,

Barbara   

Thank you, Barbara.  I've already done a lot of research -  I wouldn't book a cruise without it - and know what I want to see/do.  All I wanted to know was the likelihood of Fred running excursions/tours if the ship arrives quite late in the day.   I've actually managed to get port times and the two PM arrivals turn out to be 12.30 and 1.00  so I'm now able to plan further.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that although you arrive early PM and depart late PM it does not get dark that for north until very late if at all so any trips would probably be limited to 3 or max 4 hours to get you back for dinner.. I did this cruise a few years ago and do remember walking tours but for the life of me I can't remember which town. My wife is also drawing a blank.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Bear in mind that although you arrive early PM and depart late PM it does not get dark that for north until very late if at all so any trips would probably be limited to 3 or max 4 hours to get you back for dinner.. I did this cruise a few years ago and do remember walking tours but for the life of me I can't remember which town. My wife is also drawing a blank.

I think both those ports only have trips to the local places.  We have done a coach tour from Isafjordur with SWan who included excursions and visited local villages, a church a small coastal area set up to display the historic Whaling "industry" (basically a hut and a boat with a man who explained how it was then).  Seydisfjordur is less commonly visited so possibly not a lot more than a walking tour available, but I have not been there.  I love going north on cruise ships and had some good times in Iceland. 

Edited by tring

16 hours ago, jantoby said:

Thank you, Barbara.  I've already done a lot of research -  I wouldn't book a cruise without it - and know what I want to see/do.  All I wanted to know was the likelihood of Fred running excursions/tours if the ship arrives quite late in the day.   I've actually managed to get port times and the two PM arrivals turn out to be 12.30 and 1.00  so I'm now able to plan further.

Glad you are sorted, they are the sort of arrival times I would have expected.  Fred will not be late as some tour departures can be scheduled  to start within half an hour of that, but times can always change of course.  Likely you will already have been in Iceland so formalities will not take long.

Boat trips or other short tours are likely all that any cruise line would do in those ports, so half day is fine, though with an early pm arrival, they often stay a bit longer that evening so you may well have time to pop ashore for a walk round the local area as well, either before or after dinner.  We often use room service for our evening meal in cases like that which makes it easier to get ashore again.  Fred does not offer hot food on room service, but you can order a soup and small sweet to make a cold meal more substantial, though of course you will never starve on a cruise ship 🙂

I did not mean to sound like I was trying to teach you to "suck eggs" in my previous post, but some people do find that sort of information useful.  I gather you are an experienced cruiser though - enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by tring

• 4 weeks later...

The Seydisfjordur terminal is used by cruise ships when the Smyril Line ferry Norrona is not in port - she obviously takes priority as she is one of the main points of entry for freight into Iceland.  During the winter & shoulder seasons Norrona is in port 2 days, normally Tuesday & Wednesday, but in the peak summer, when there are 2 Denmark/Faroe round trips a week, then the ferry is only there for a day.......I'll leave a link for the Smyril schedule below.  Seydisfjordur is a pretty little village, quite arty, but you will have run out of things to do after 2-3 hours, so an excursion is the way forward.  The east of Iceland is quite sparsely populated, so you will need to travel quite a distance to get to some places i.e. all day excursions.  Nearby "county" town Egilstaddir, has some amazing new baths at a lake just outside town, https://vok-baths.is/en/ , but a ships tour will probably take you to Myvatn Nature Baths, which is quite a bit further - they are bigger, but not like the human soup at the Blue Lagoon! 

Scroll down on this page & you'll see the 2 excursions Smyril Line offer from Seydisfjordur......local tour operators would offer pretty similar packages I imagine....  https://www.smyrilline.com/cruise/north-atlantic-cruise-2021

https://www.smyrilline.com/sailing-schedule/sailing-schedule-2021

Edited by LaCroisiereS'amuse
  • Like 2