Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MsSoCalCruiser

Majestic Princess

I booked a cruise for next year on the Majestic Princess.  I see a few different dining venues that sounds absolutely wonderful (a noodle bar and a lobster bar). If you have tried those venues, did you like them? Are they as good as they sound? 

Do you think that Princess will leave the same restaurants on the ship when they bring it over to the West Coast?  I hope so!

I know, you don’t have a crystal ball.  I’m just wondering what everybody thinks about it.  Just spending time thinking about cruises and waiting for this pandemic to end. I truly miss my happy place!

We were  on the first two Majestic Princess cruises when she launched in 2017. We tried the Noodle bar and Lobster Grill once - the food in both cases was tasty but didn't think the Lobster dish upcharge was worth it (see review in signature below). Love the Harmony Chinese restaurant too. I'm hoping they don't swap out all these offerings for the US market as we want to come over and cruise on her again!

Sandra

2 hours ago, dides said:

We were  on the first two Majestic Princess cruises when she launched in 2017. We tried the Noodle bar and Lobster Grill once - the food in both cases was tasty but didn't think the Lobster dish upcharge was worth it (see review in signature below). Love the Harmony Chinese restaurant too. I'm hoping they don't swap out all these offerings for the US market as we want to come over and cruise on her again!

Sandra

I loved your review. The food all looks so good.   Thank you for sharing it with me!

Hi! Your question about whether Majestic will keep or switch out her existing restaurants is actually a good one; I never thought about it and that would mean no Sabatini's, which is popular for many, especially now that she'll be US-based. But I've heard good reviews of Harmony so I'd hope it can stay. If you're talking about the noodle bar on the pool deck, I can definitely vouch for it's "delectableness"! It's nice to have alternatives on the pool deck from the traditional burger and pizza fare. But the existence of the noodle bar also means the pizza area is missing, so I'm thinking they could have repurposed it or some other area on the pool deck for pizza during the dry dock this past February. Anyways, overall, I think you'll be pleased if you remember you're on a cruise ship and the quality probably won't exactly match fine dining landside. Good thoughts and best wishes on planning for your Majestic cruise!

I'm thinking that the Lobster Grill will have some of the American favorites found on other ships. The Noodle Bar would have to install pizza ovens to switch to pizza. My guess is not much of a change there. 

Noodle bar is a great alternative and the food was very good.

One thing that a lot of people miss on the Majestic is that at the back of the World Fresh Marketplace is a Mongolian Grill.  I believe every second day at lunch you can pick your ingredients - vegetables, noodles, type of meat, sauce, and then give the bowl to the chef and they cook each dish separately on a Mongolian Grill.  Absolutely the best!

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I'm thinking that the Lobster Grill will have some of the American favorites found on other ships. The Noodle Bar would have to install pizza ovens to switch to pizza. My guess is not much of a change there. 

Yes, the Lobster Grill already has the basic burger, hot dog offerings

lobgrill.jpg.935209cba93d5b487355f1d50817ea67.jpg

18 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hi! Your question about whether Majestic will keep or switch out her existing restaurants is actually a good one; I never thought about it and that would mean no Sabatini's, which is popular for many, especially now that she'll be US-based. But I've heard good reviews of Harmony so I'd hope it can stay. If you're talking about the noodle bar on the pool deck, I can definitely vouch for it's "delectableness"! It's nice to have alternatives on the pool deck from the traditional burger and pizza fare. But the existence of the noodle bar also means the pizza area is missing, so I'm thinking they could have repurposed it or some other area on the pool deck for pizza during the dry dock this past February. Anyways, overall, I think you'll be pleased if you remember you're on a cruise ship and the quality probably won't exactly match fine dining landside. Good thoughts and best wishes on planning for your Majestic cruise!

Thank you!  I love noodles and can’t have pizza due to allergies so I would be really happy to have a noodle bar.  I can’t wait to cruise again!

Have you ever sailed on HAL?  We were on the Eurodam and they had a Lido deck burger restaurant called the Dive In.  Those were better than most burger places on land. I wish they would put that on Princess ships in addition to the noodle bar.  I think I’m hungry.😊

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you!  I love noodles and can’t have pizza due to allergies so I would be really happy to have a noodle bar.  I can’t wait to cruise again!

Have you ever sailed on HAL?  We were on the Eurodam and they had a Lido deck burger restaurant called the Dive In.  Those were better than most burger places on land. I wish they would put that on Princess ships in addition to the noodle bar.  I think I’m hungry.😊

On Princess ships which have the poolside grill to the Salty Dog Grill in addition to the expanded free selections there is a a Salty Dog Burger, $5 surcharge or $8 with a beer. Some ships also have the Salty Dog Gastropub open in the evening. Special burgers are served along with other menu items. Surcharge $12. You can find these menus on line.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

On Princess ships which have the poolside grill to the Salty Dog Grill in addition to the expanded free selections there is a a Salty Dog Burger, $5 surcharge or $8 with a beer. Some ships also have the Salty Dog Gastropub open in the evening. Special burgers are served along with other menu items. Surcharge $12. You can find these menus on line.

They were complementary on HAL but if the Salty Dog Grill is as good as the Dive In then I would be willing to pay a five dollar surcharge.  I think I saw that grill on the Royal Princess Lido deck.  

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

They were complementary on HAL but if the Salty Dog Grill is as good as the Dive In then I would be willing to pay a five dollar surcharge.  I think I saw that grill on the Royal Princess Lido deck.  

There is no charge for tasty fresh grilled burgers and other menu items at the Salty Dog Grill. Only the Ernesto Burger has a charge. Here is the menu. 

Screenshot_20170421-201621.png 

Posted (edited)

We were on the Third Phase of their Maiden Voyage and here are the menu for the Lobster Bar and Noodle Bar.   But as for the Salty Dog Grill, they serve a free Triple Smoked Burger. For me, it was a winner.  Beef patty, made with hickory smoked bacon jam, bbq smoked onions and smoked gouda cheese.  I always had them add extra bacon jam and bbq onions.  Yummy !  If you are a beer drinker, then the Ernesto burger is a great deal.  Beer alone cost about 5 to 7 bucks.  The Ernesto combo cost 8 bucks, which makes it cheap for a rib eye burger.  Dos XX cost 6.95, and so the burger is only $1.05.   

Lobster .jpg

Noodles .jpg

Edited by Gimer
add photos

16 hours ago, skynight said:

There is no charge for tasty fresh grilled burgers and other menu items at the Salty Dog Grill. Only the Ernesto Burger has a charge. Here is the menu. 

Screenshot_20170421-201621.png 

Thank you for sharing!

11 hours ago, Gimer said:

We were on the Third Phase of their Maiden Voyage and here are the menu for the Lobster Bar and Noodle Bar.   But as for the Salty Dog Grill, they serve a free Triple Smoked Burger. For me, it was a winner.  Beef patty, made with hickory smoked bacon jam, bbq smoked onions and smoked gouda cheese.  I always had them add extra bacon jam and bbq onions.  Yummy !  If you are a beer drinker, then the Ernesto burger is a great deal.  Beer alone cost about 5 to 7 bucks.  The Ernesto combo cost 8 bucks, which makes it cheap for a rib eye burger.  Dos XX cost 6.95, and so the burger is only $1.05.   

Lobster .jpg

Noodles .jpg

Thank you!  Everything looks so good!