REFUNDED PROBLEM

B113

We booked an Alaskan cruise which should have sailed on June 04 but it was canceled with all other cruises. This is when the problem started. We chose to have our money refunded in March and received our deposit back in about 4 weeks. We expected the rest of our money to be refunded shortly after we received the deposit but it never showed on our bank card. I checked with RCI and of course couldn't get any info since it was a group booking through a TA. Checked with the TA who checked with RCI and they sent us a list of 5 different credit card numbers with different amounts of refunds and said that was our refund. Only problem was only one credit card number belonged to us and the deposit was all that was refunded. Finally last week I found one of the TA agents who was willing to help check into it. Come to find out the cruise was refunded and it went into the TA's account instead of refunding us. So we are out 4K for 6 more weeks while the TA is issuing the refund. All's well that ends will but it shouldn't have happened.

Edited by B113

I think your TA anticipated that The Cruise would be cancelled.

So he did not pay the balance money to Royal but kept it in his own account to get some free cash flow.

What is the great motivation to use this particular TA? Is he your best friend or relative?

Does he give you OBC of more than 10% of the basic fare?

7 minutes ago, drsel said:

I think your TA anticipated that The Cruise would be cancelled.

So he did not pay the balance money to Royal but kept it in his own account to get some free cash flow.

What is the great motivation to use this particular TA? Is he your best friend or relative?

Does he give you OBC of more than 10% of the basic fare?

Have used in the past without any problems. No friend or relative but does give more OBC than10 percent on this cruise. Repeat customers get extra OBC for repeat bookings.

52 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Group bookings are often not done this way

I would never use a TA who charged my card directly rather than have the cruise line charge me.    Group bookings or standard FIT bookings are all handled the same with regards to payments to all cruise lines

• Like 1

I would never use a TA who charged my card directly rather than have the cruise line charge me.    Group bookings or standard FIT bookings are all handled the same with regards to payments to all cruise lines
PO UK is the exception, because they need payment in British pounds, whereas the US travel agents charge you only in US dollars.
So the US travel agent may take your money into his own account in US dollars and then wire the money to PO in British pounds

Have used in the past without any problems. No friend or relative but does give more OBC than10 percent on this cruise. Repeat customers get extra OBC for repeat bookings.
If the OBC was more than 10% of the basic fare (without port fees and taxes) then you must have booked a balcony or a suite

Far too many stories of bad stuff happening when using a TA.

Bottom Line... once you give them control, you lose even your ability to speak with RCCL.

Yes, I know, they give nice perks, but if something happens you had better hope they are around or even still in business.

• Like 1

Our TA are friends of ours.  Ours is charged directly from our card to RCI.  Why is it going to take 6 weeks to get your refund from the TA?  They should process them immediately.  So, they're sitting on your money, probably earning interest that they will never pay you.  Nice.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BND said:

Our TA are friends of ours.  Ours is charged directly from our card to RCI.  Why is it going to take 6 weeks to get your refund from the TA?  They should process them immediately.  So, they're sitting on your money, probably earning interest that they will never pay you.  Nice.  

I agree 1,000% that the TA should refund you YESTERDAY.  Very suspicious.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BND said:

Don't mix business with friendship.

8 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Don't mix business with friendship.

They've been our TA's for 15 years and friends for just a bit longer.  Not a problem.  But, thanks for advice I didn't ask for.

19 minutes ago, BND said:

They've been our TA's for 15 years and friends for just a bit longer.  Not a problem.  But, thanks for advice I didn't ask for.

Then don't post a complaint about your TA if you don't want feedback :classic_rolleyes:

It's interesting to note that your TA gives more than 10% and even increases the percentage for repeat bookings.

A large, high volume TA earns 10 to 16 per cent on the basic fare ( excluding port fees and taxes), depending on the cabin category.

If you don't mind, which cabin category did you book and what is the maximum percentage (on basic fare, excluding port fees and taxes) he has ever given you as OBC?

Unfortunately TA's are no different than plumbers, lawyers or any other other service providers:  there are good ones and bad ones.  The good ones can provide a valuable service and save you money.  This whole refund issue that really hasn't been handled well by any of the cruise lines has been made worse by TA's that aren't truly service providers but merely "order processors".  Sorry for your difficulty, but don't let it cloud your perception of all TA's, there are many that provide a valuable service to the the traveler and truly care about the customer experience and value. 

• Like 1