Would you fly to Cruise?

janewe

53 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is plenty which is silly about the masks.  They are not capable of stopping aerosolized vitus particles, for openers.  The HEPA filters are.

Stopping the spread completely? No.

Reducing the spread distance and possibility of transmission? Most definitely.  

Your position is akin to saying that vaccines are silly because they don't provide 100% protection.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Stopping the spread completely? No.

Reducing the spread distance and possibility of transmission? Most definitely.  

Your position is akin to saying that vaccines are silly because they don't provide 100% protection.

And your position is not backed up by the science, so let us agree to disagree.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Actually, it is, but I doubt that at this point you are open to the proven facts. As you say, let's agree to disagree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Actually, it is, but I doubt that at this point you are open to the proven facts. As you say, let's agree to disagree.

There is a great graphic out there that I see in news stories from time to time. It shows two people talking X feet apart and the difference between no masks, one person with a mask, and two people with a mask. The point is the mask contains it better by a lot vs no mask. Essentially the unmasked ones are protected from masked people, but the masked people are screwed.

It is like covering your sneeze with you hands or shoulder. Is it 100% perfect, no, but a heck of a lot better than not covering your nose and mouth at all. There is a lot of science behind all this, the problem is they are learning new things everyday and some past misteps and misinformation from many sources has really confused the issue and caused some to lose faith in places they should be listening to. Heck even I have issues with how the CDC handles cruise lines, but that doesn't mean I tune out everything that they say. 

Who knows maybe we do need another lock down, seeing how people behave locally there are days I think it is needed. Too many people acting like the virus doesn't exist are just extending how long that we don't get to do nice things like cruising. Hate my comments if you want, but doesn't make em wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Not according to UCSF and other institutions.

This explains it fairly well as to how the current recommendations came about

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ighten said:

If your not prepared to partake in the slow start up , fine but at least have an alternative answer.

I had an answer--- we will wait until it's relatively safe and cruising will be fun again.

At this time we don't want to risk getting sick or other passengers becoming ill and everyone being quarantined.

Another thing to consider, our " Out of Country " Travel Insurance does not cover Covid-19 . 

As a previous poster said "  Some may believe in nothing ventured, nothing gained."

No problem -- Go , enjoy and hope all is well.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:05 AM, rhblake said:

To all the people willing to fly. How do you think the virus arrived in the USA? How do you think the virus got from state to state and city to city so quickly? It would seem to me it was because people were using airlines to travel from location to location. I think I will wait for a while before flying again.

And at that time was mask wearing required?  No.  Was extra sanitation going on?  No.  Were middle seats blocked off?  No.  It may or may not be safe to fly, but to compare that period of time with the extra precautions taking place now is just not a fair nor logical comparison.  And IMHO it is still WAY safer to fly than to cruise.  The initial question assumes people are willing to cruise, putting themselves in close proximity to more than a thousand other cruisers for days on end, sharing dining rooms, bars, hallways, elevators, theaters, etc...  Why someone would risk one and not the other makes zero sense to me when the facts are considered.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And at that time was mask wearing required?  No.  Was extra sanitation going on?  No.  Were middle seats blocked off?  No.  It may or may not be safe to fly, but to compare that period of time with the extra precautions taking place now is just not a fair nor logical comparison.  And IMHO it is still WAY safer to fly than to cruise.  The initial question assumes people are willing to cruise, putting themselves in close proximity to more than a thousand other cruisers for days on end, sharing dining rooms, bars, hallways, elevators, theaters, etc...  Why someone would risk one and not the other makes zero sense to me when the facts are considered.

Transporting a sick person from one place to another where they then proceed to infect others will not be impacted by mask wearing.  There is not doubt COVID  is moving by plane from one part of the country to another. If someone is ill when they get on the plane they will still be ill when they get off.

You also have a lot of COVID getting transferred from one place to another via road trips.  In the county where I volunteer contact tracing a little bit more than half of all of our infections since June 1 are the result of someone driving here from out of state then visiting friends or family.  Often with others gathered for a party, without social distancing.

That is not the same as saying that a large number of people got infected when on a plane. Clearly some have gotten infected, but still the numbers infected on a plane appear to be pretty small compared to the number that have flown. Especially since they have required everyone to wear masks.