Very cautious but desperate to cruise

1 hour ago, BND said:

Most of the stories here are what people have heard or seen on tv.  But, that doesn't change the fact, the refusal to wear masks and challenging restaurant workers is not the norm and is very rare.  Just because you hear about it or see it on tv, doesn't mean it happens a lot. 

Oh I have seen people of all ages refuse to masks on at very places.  My first one was at local produce store in may.  Then we went to shore house at LBI NJ and there were several teenagers trying to get into a retail store had just reopened.  These girls made such a scene I would be so ashamed if that was my Daughter.  I have seen lots of people walking in and out of shops at this shore town without masks.    We left the island right before 4th of july as it was getting too busy for our liking.  There was one girl at a fudge shop who was uber eats driver she went in holding her hand over her mouth.  They told her to leave and she insisted she had to pick up her order for her customer.  They refused.   She threw a fit.  Im sure she didnt explain to customer who ordered thru uber eats. 

I recently saw a mother and her daughters try to go into walmart refusing.  Oh I have seen all kinds.  Not just those stories on local news.

And every time I see it I say to my Dh there is no way we will ever to be able to cruise with this behavior from people.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm thinking of the cruises to nowhere or to private islands only, initially.

That would be great but you still have to mingle with the locals that work on the private islands. We are booked for Oct 2021 and unless there is a vaccine or the virus is gone I will be rescheduling.

4 minutes ago, Espn said:

That would be great but you still have to mingle with the locals that work on the private islands. We are booked for Oct 2021 and unless there is a vaccine or the virus is gone I will be rescheduling.

With refuced passenger numbers, whose to say they can't use ships staff to cover most of the workers on Coco Cay and Labadee. 

I mean, some activities might not be operational, but changes might be needed in short term

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

With refuced passenger numbers, whose to say they can't use ships staff to cover most of the workers on Coco Cay and Labadee. 

I mean, some activities might not be operational, but changes might be needed in short term

That's what I was thinking. Staff the island with ship crew. Locals are sequestered from the guests. At this point I'm sure the folks in the C-suite are thinking outside of the box.

7 hours ago, budmeister said:

If you are a 100% mask wearing, only go to work groceries, and appointments, and wash/sanitize your hands a million or so times a day person, what would it take for you to cruise? I am that person, but I am so desperate  to get back on a ship!   I am thinking masks and face shields in airports, and no airport restaurants. I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

We would all love to cruise but if travel and cruising come down to having to learn to live with virus.   I definitely would not fly to a cruise port.  I would only do it if able to drive to port and 100% guaranteed everyone on board will follow masks and social distancing.  That includes the cruise line protecting the crew and not cramming them into tight quarters for everyone's protection.

I would not book b2bs. I would only book balconies or suites.  I would enjoy my balcony as much as possible while still enjoying other activities.    

If it was just me sure I would get on a ship as I have the ability to work wherever I am as long as I have good wifi.  I work on every single cruise anyway.  Not all the time but a couple hours a day, except weekends.

But since I have a DH that is a transplant recipient and considered to be high risk due to immunosuppressant meds he takes.  I do all the shopping for my MIL and one elderly neighbor I cannot risk infecting any of these people or anyone else.   So till there is a solution to our problems I will continue to appreciate what I have and enjoy the shore house after the crowds leave.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Quite possible, however until Bahamas allows visitors it is still a no go. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

38 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That's what I was thinking. Staff the island with ship crew. Locals are sequestered from the guests. At this point I'm sure the folks in the C-suite are thinking outside of the box.

Ok I like that thinking and could go with that. That would work perfectly for out next cruise that is scheduled to go to CocoCay and Labadee, don’t even plan to get off the ship in Nassau or Falmouth. 

Edited by Espn
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

If you wear your mask and socially distance and someone else doesn't, they're the ones at a much higher risk, not you.

How did you come to this conclusion? The one's not wearing the mask are the very one's emanating droplets and vapors into the air that can enter through your eyes or land on your hands or other exposed body parts. This is the mentality that will prevent me from stepping on a cruise ship until I see how it plays out. Masks only work when everyone is in compliance and I can't be sure that my fellow cruisers who don't wash their hand after using the toilet will comply to other precautions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

I'm thinking of the cruises to nowhere or to private islands only, initially.

I didn't think cruises to nowhere were allowed, at least from the US, with the way cruise ships are typically staffed. Also the private islands' respective countries would have to be willing to allow cruise ship visitors.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, budmeister said:

If you are a 100% mask wearing, only go to work groceries, and appointments, and wash/sanitize your hands a million or so times a day person, what would it take for you to cruise? I am that person, but I am so desperate  to get back on a ship!   I am thinking masks and face shields in airports, and no airport restaurants. I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

What did you do before you discovered cruising ? My thinking is that many people had enjoyable vacations in the state in which they reside or neighboring states.

• Like 1

Went to restaurant for the first time today (Michigan ), tables were spread apart and wait staff wore masks but I just didn’t enjoy the experience. I can’t imagine going on a cruise anytime soon but if there’s an effective vaccine then maybe we won’t lose our lift and shift deposit for November 2021.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

People not wearing masks don't bother me a bit.  I put one on to grocery shop, but it doesn't bother me if others wear masks or not.  I think the big spreaders are the people who congregate very close together in masses on the streets, beaches, or at parties, whether they are wearing masks or not.  Of course, opening up after a lockdown it's obvious that cases would increase anyway.  You can slow the spread, but as long as there are people traveling from one area to another, it's going to continue to spread.

Cruising with a mask and social distancing sounds miserable to me.   I can wait.  I can barely tolerate wearing a mask to the grocery store.  As soon as I am at my car, my mask comes off.  It's much too hot and humid to wear one outside.

Just imagine taking a Caribbean cruise and being in ports in 90 degree weather and wearing a mask.That is not for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh I have seen people of all ages refuse to masks on at very places.  My first one was at local produce store in may.  Then we went to shore house at LBI NJ and there were several teenagers trying to get into a retail store had just reopened.  These girls made such a scene I would be so ashamed if that was my Daughter.  I have seen lots of people walking in and out of shops at this shore town without masks.    We left the island right before 4th of july as it was getting too busy for our liking.  There was one girl at a fudge shop who was uber eats driver she went in holding her hand over her mouth.  They told her to leave and she insisted she had to pick up her order for her customer.  They refused.   She threw a fit.  Im sure she didnt explain to customer who ordered thru uber eats. 

I recently saw a mother and her daughters try to go into walmart refusing.  Oh I have seen all kinds.  Not just those stories on local news.

And every time I see it I say to my Dh there is no way we will ever to be able to cruise with this behavior from people.

A few days ago 2 guys entered a Trader Joe’s in Manhattan without wearing masks.A store employee told them they would have to leave the store.The approached the employee and pulled off his mask.

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

🙂

Also the pool is a salt water pool,  but no sand on our feet which is also a good thing.

What are the advantages of a salt water pool compared to city water?

Edited by Etta1213

9 hours ago, budmeister said:

I think I'm tired of people thinking there will be a safe way to cruise before a vaccine is available or proven treatments that prevent people from getting to the critical stage are developed.  Unless C19 suddenly just magically disappears overnight cruising isn't going to happen until next spring or summer at the earliest. Recent failures in Europe have proven that.

There is more to life than cruising - I want to be with my family and have my grandson spend overnights again.  I would trade all future cruises to be able to do that right now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

What are the advantages of a salt water pool compared to city water?

It's a chemical free pool, no chlorine.     This salt water system is used by putting bags of salt into the water I put in my pool.(in my case well water).

Then you hook up this machine inline with your pools filter system. What is does is put a  low voltage electric charge through the water that then produces chlorine gases that keeps your pool clear and clean just like regular chlorine does.

Advantages though, much cheaper then buying chlorine all summer, my pool has no chlorine smell, plus it doesn't fade your swim suit or do havoc on your hair like regular chlorine does.

Much more cost effective for running a pool. 

Edited by Jimbo

While we are anxious to cruise and truly enjoy sailing, we will wait until the all clear sign is given.  In addition, we want to wait a few months after people sail to be sure sailing is safe.  As somebody said, my life is more important then a cruise.  Probably when the vaccine is readily available to all guests, staff and people at the ports.  We will still practice social distancing.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

It's a chemical free pool, no chlorine.     This salt water system is used by putting bags of salt into the water I put in my pool.(in my case well water).

Then you hook up this machine inline with your pools filter system. What is does is put a  low voltage electric charge through the water that then produces chlorine gases that keeps your pool clear and clean just like regular chlorine does.

Advantages though, much cheaper then buying chlorine all summer, my pool has no chlorine smell, plus it doesn't fade your swim suit or do havoc on your hair like regular chlorine does.

Much more cost effective for running a pool. 

Fun fact, if a pool has a strong chlorine smell it's not from the chlorine but rather too much urine. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, budmeister said:

I am struggling with what cruise safety procedures I think would make me feel that we could go. What do you think?

One way to think about is not from the 'safety' perspective.  There are reasons all the measures are debated.

Are you comfortable complying with the operators rules?  If so, that's one hurdle.

But, by far, the most important consideration is your personal risk factors and what you're comfortable sailing with.  This is between you and your doctor.  Happy cruising!

17 hours ago, Pratique said:

I have been thinking about it and I would feel safer in the controlled environment of a cruise ship than at a land-based resort where guests and employees are constantly coming and going from who knows where.

That being said, right now I'm in no rush to go anywhere beyond day trips to places where I can find plenty of open space and an open restroom.

I don't really find any comfort in being in the "controlled" environment of a cruise ship.  First you have thousands of people from who knows where coming together to live in an environment that allows very little personal space. Then I envision people wearing masks and eyeing everyone they encounter with suspicion much like what happens when you go in the grocery store. Then there is always the potential for an outbreak and quarentine. What a stressful atmosphere to drop a few thousand dollars on and to leave the comforts of my own home for.

• Like 4

Reading this thread (and dozens of others here) I really fear that at least at the beginning, the early sailings are going to be an incredibly hard sell.

Yes, you have a handful of people who seem ready to jump on a ship the minute they are available. When you contrast that, however, with the numbers that 1) Want to wait for a vaccine and 2) Want to watch closely how things are being handled before sailing and 3)Those who are pretty certain they will never cruise again I don't think the cruise lines will have a problem sailing with lower capacity.  And that spells big financial trouble.

That does not even take into account for a big chunk of the general populace, who literally is laughing hysterically at anyone who would even think of sailing. And that was the "conquest demographic" that the lines were certain they could capture (and the reason why the industry over built for years). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What did you do before you discovered cruising ? My thinking is that many people had enjoyable vacations in the state in which they reside or neighboring states.

Over 300 million Americans still do