Bringing water and soda aboard

JOHN 57

No one really knows what will or will not be permitted when Princess restarts ...

With their new-found environmental conscience, Princess may ban all beverages in plasric bottles and limit those in aluminum cans.

If they are sourcing non-plastic containers for the water they provide znd sell ... why allow pax to schlepp plastics onboard? 

I haven't personally had a soda in about 5 years but I do appreciate that Princess allows you to bring water onboard. It just so happened that we had bought a large bottle of water on a St Thomas stop about 7 years ago on Eastern Caribbean Cruise towards the end of the cruise and we came down with Norovirus on the sea day back to FLL. Having that large bottle of water available was really appreciated. We also enjoy bringing the 2 bottles of wine aboard with us and appreciate the cabin steward bringing us wine classes on a similar cruise this past February.

When we cruised on Norwegian a few years ago to Bermuda they don't permit anyone to bring anything on board with them and wanted you to sign up for a water package in which they delivered what looked like Costco cases of water bottles to people's rooms upon boarding. We also need to have water in our cabin to drink and so I can only assume that the ship provided it in some way or another but don't recall if they delivered pitchers of ice water on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, karylrocks said:

Would they allow a rolling cooler full of individual bottles of water and soda, or only sealed cases?

They've never required sealed cases for carry-on.  We used to check-in a sealed case of water after taping it up good and making a handle, but that's a while ago.  What with the Princess Plus package where you can get all the 500ml waters you want from any bar (one or two at a a time).  Plus the 12 pack of water for $6.80 is a good enough deal to make the hassle and schlepping not worth it to us.  Admittedly, the sodas in the package are fountain only not cans.  

The cooler itself may be an issue though.  The sizes allowed are pretty small unless you have dietary or baby food needs.  From the FAQ:

Coolers - only coolers approximately 12 x 12 x 12 in size (holds 6-12 cans of non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. Guests carrying larger sizes will be directed to return them to their vehicle. If the guest is without a vehicle, the cooler will be destroyed in the same manner as other prohibited items. Exception: if the cooler is larger and contains baby food/formula, kosher food/special diet food or medication - these must be hand-carried. Coolers cannot be accepted as checked baggage.

Edited by Ferd Berfle
coolers

34 minutes ago, karylrocks said:

That is great information, thanks. Mine is an insulated carry-on size roller bag that we have used on cruises before to fill with drinks and ice. This will be our first Princess cruise so I wasn't sure.

Yeah so it looks like a bag vs. a cooler -- you should be fine.  

On 8/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, Thrak said:

I used to drink a fair amount of Diet Mountain Dew when I was working. I got tired of it disappearing from the refrigerator so I just kept it in a file drawer in my office and drank it warm. Caffeine and IT go so well together. 😎

So true, it reminds of a day long ago at an IBM Technical Conference. When they opened the exhibit hall on the first day of the conference there were many tables by the entrance just piled with Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Candy Bars, Bags of Chips and Jolt Cola in troughs of ice. My thought was 'Ohhh, Programmer Food!' 🤪

So wish cell phones had existed at that point, so I would have a picture for posterity. 

Edited by drowelf

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

So true, it reminds of a day long ago at an IBM Technical Conference. When they opened the exhibit hall on the first day of the conference there were many tables by the entrance just piled with Twinkies, Ho-Hos, Candy Bars, Bags of Chips and Jolt Cola in troughs of ice. My thought was 'Ohhh, Programmer Food!' 🤪

So wish cell phones had existed at that point, so I would have a picture for posterity. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I remember drinking Jolt at one job. I was working crazy long hours and drank a lot of Jolt.  "All the sugar and twice the caffeine!"