Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MsCrystalina

Amenities on River Cruises

Hi to all,

Moved my Mahler 16 day cruise to June 2021.  Are there salon and spa services onboard?   Have on board credit and not sure how to use it.

23 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

Hi to all,

Moved my Mahler 16 day cruise to June 2021.  Are there salon and spa services onboard?   Have on board credit and not sure how to use it.

No salon and there's one person who does massages. I don't know if there are other spa services. There are a few excursions that have an extra charge. You can order one of the extra charge wines. There's always extra gratuities.

Patty

5 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

No salon and there's one person who does massages. I don't know if there are other spa services. There are a few excursions that have an extra charge. You can order one of the extra charge wines. There's always extra gratuities.

Do they have connoisseur wine tasting lunches/dinners?

55 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

All Crystal river boats have the Vintage Room.  I've only seen the VR Dinner offered but Crystal advertises that they also have a VR Lunch.  Both are multi-course meals with paired wines and champagne.

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

With 106 passengers max, it is my understanding that there is a Vintage Room function very infrequently. Just not enough interest. Remember that they sometimes can't get a "quorum" with 700 to 900 passengers on the ocean ships.

Patty

It would probably make sense to use the VR space for something else given that space on board is at a premium and it seems to be used so infrequently.

I went to one last Fall on a 16-day Mahler cruise. Fabulous. Some of the guests enjoyed it so much that they requested a second VR dinner thus stressing out the chef who’d never had to come up with a second menu before. They reported that the second dinner was as good as the first. 

Posted (edited)

I had problems spending my OBC. I think I had some laundry done with clothes from my pre-cruise stay and gave the rest as "extra tips". All of my tours were included. They did not have dinner in the Vintage Room on my cruise.

Many people who had a lot of OBC organized a private tour or a private car to the airport.

Edited by Coral

As mentioned Vintage Room is likely an option.

You can also purchase bottles of Wine as you can on the ocean vessels.

While there are inclusive tours there are also tours which are offered which have a cost.

You can also use it for gratuities should you wish to give gratuities to individuals or to the entire crew such as the crew welfare fund.

When the River Cruise ends you could use it for a private transfer to hotel or the airport.

Keith

8 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

It would probably make sense to use the VR space for something else given that space on board is at a premium and it seems to be used so infrequently.

The VR on the river boats is there primarily as function space for groups and other private functions...  I think the VR offerings are more of a side job for that room.  My company’s corporate incentive arm seemed to have been doing a lot of luxury river cruises pre-COVID, so there SHOULD have been enough enough use for rooms like that to justify their existence, since there are a variety of uses for a small meeting room/private dining room.  Just a hunch though, I obviously don’t have access to that data from Crystal’s end.

Vince

We were on the Debussy in June 2019, and we had extra shipboard credits because we chose to use cash for gratuities.  The onboard excursion person helped us arrange a private car and driver for three of us, and it was our favorite day of the entire cruise.  If there is a day that the excursions all seem more for larger groups or if you have already been to certain towns, I highly recommend having a private excursion, because you can get off the beaten path and have a very memorable experience.  We had a van with a driver and a guide, and we went into the countryside and the guide was very good at planning most of the day as we went along, based on our input.  We had lunch at a darling place where we were the only tourists, we toured a winery operated by a family the guide knew personally, and we visited an herb farm that also had fields of lavender.  The guide was very knowledgeable and engaged us in conversations while we were riding, so it was truly a special day and very immersive in German history and culture.  I'm also love a massage, but I would much prefer to spend time with a delightful German couple in their gorgeous countryside!