Dear RCCL - can Los Angeles have one measly ship?

Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line but you abandoned us here in .California.  I notice you are currently scrapping some of our favorite ships.  So I ask, can’t you send just one to us out here on the West Coast? Just one?

I’m sure there are tons of other people like me that would love to sail on Royal Caribbean from Southern California again.

Edited by wblynch
Spelling
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, wblynch said:

Royal Caribbean is my favorite cruise line but you abandoned us here in .California.  I notice you are currently scrapping some of our favorite ships.  So I ask, can’t you send just one to us out here on the West Coast? Just one?

I’m sure there are tons of other people like me that would love to sail on Royal Caribbean from Southern California again.

Maybe you should lobby your local governments 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The main reason RCCL. I mean RCI, opps... RCG (is that it now?😁) is not in California is CARB.  Not the carbohydrate kind, but the government kind as in California Air Resource Board.  Right now Royal is taking advantage of a exemption in the CARB regs that permits a passenger ship about 5 calls at a California port without the ability to shut the ship's engine down and plug into shore power.  The last I was aware the cost to enable a ship to go cold iron and use shore power is upwards of $2 million.  In these times I don't think you are going to find much willingness on the company's part to invest in that project.

Maybe the suggestion to lobby your local government would be the way to go.

Edited by BillB48
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wblynch said:

Why not contact Royal Caribbean directly instead of doing so through a message board? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wblynch said:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see many ports that look attractive to me.  Perhaps the market is satisfied by the cruise lines currently operating out of Los Angeles.

6 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

People realize that they don't have to post in every thread, right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Its fine to post in every thread if you have something valuable to say.😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Good Advice.  I'm just working to get to graduate from Cool Cruiser and get to the 3000+ Club.  Maybe today????🤞

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good Advice.  I'm just working to get to graduate from Cool Cruiser and get to the 3000+ Club.  Maybe today????🤞

Just go do a bunch of +1, following, or thanks🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Why not contact Royal Caribbean directly instead of doing so through a message board? 

A representative from RCG spoke at the travel agency I use and I asked him that same question.  He told me something would be happening this past spring . Obviously, it didn’t.  Meanwhile , he told me Galveston was not that far.  

Edited by NHProud

2 hours ago, cruisefan0110 said:

The last I heard was that due to maritime law and the drug/gang violence in Mexico,  west coast cruising stopped. 

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That was my impression.  Not my idea of a vacation

Maritime law?  Yet other cruise lines continued on the West coast without guest incidents.  

Granted that was one of of Royal's stated reasons but other lines stayed.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

A representative from RCG spoke at the travel agency I use and I asked him that same question.  He told me something would be happening this past spring . Obviously, it didn’t.  Meanwhile , he told me Galveston was not that far.  

If something was going to happen...that has been put off for now due to the virus.

3 hours ago, cruisefan0110 said:

The last I heard was that due to maritime law and the drug/gang violence in Mexico,  west coast cruising stopped. 

The H1N1 in Mexico was the start of RCI pulling out of San Pedro then the violence in Mexico.

There's violence everywhere even in RCI's beloved Caribbean ports. 

I am hoping RCI returns at some point in time to our coast...nothing wrong with hope.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Much like food or beauty, "valuable" seems to be very subjective. 😉

• Like 1

The drug violence is BS.  West coast Mexico ports are just as safe as many of the Caribbean ports.  I will say that for cruise ships, I think the Mexican ports from LA are boring.  We love Cabo, but it is the night life, bars and restaurant.  The beach is not Caribbean and water activities are not as good as east coast options.  Plus, the ports are limited and many require tenders.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wblynch said:

No doubt the demand is there. But the reason I keep hearing is "profit".

It's not that Royal can not make a profit sailing from SoCal....it's just that they can make even more profit sailing that ship elsewhere.  And with a scaled down fleet in the future, I would expect RCG to be even more choosy about where they are sailing, so it may be a long time before you see a Royal ship again.

None of which will ease the disappointment as  see some of the the older ships continue to be scrapped.  So yeah, it sucks,

7 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

The drug violence is BS.  West coast Mexico ports are just as safe as many of the Caribbean ports.  I will say that for cruise ships, I think the Mexican ports from LA are boring.  We love Cabo, but it is the night life, bars and restaurant.  The beach is not Caribbean and water activities are not as good as east coast options.  Plus, the ports are limited and many require tenders.  

Boring ports, poor beaches, limited water activities and tendering.  So tell me again, why should RCCL move ships to the West Coast?