Tradewind Voyages / Golden Horizon

For anyone interested the new Clipper ship 'Golden Dawn' will be on sale next month. Looks some great cruises including one around the UK so will be interested to see how they price it. "After spending next Spring cruising from the UK, Golden Horizon will then follow the trade winds east along the Maritime Silk Route, from the Mediterranean to Asia and the Indian Ocean with a fantastic collection of sailing cruises"

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a brochure from Trailfinders. A whole page spread on the Golden Horizon. Very definately she is the Flying Clipper. Cruises from May 2021, to and from the UK. 7 from Harwich and 2 from Glasgow.  My question is who will sail her? The Star Clipper crew are amazing, loads of experience and expertise. No one else will have that unless they poach crew. Will a Captain jump ship?

No photos of the inside or details re dining etc.  They mention going down the Suez canal  later in 2021. Lets hope the pirates are holed up then. When the Star Clipper did that last time they took her empty with barbed wire around the deck and machine gunners on the sides.

We would feel sad abandoning the Star Clipper fleet but I guess some will be happy to jump ship!  Interesting to see how they cope sailing to Iceland, Norway and the Baltics. SC tried it but the Tropical bar isnt great in a westerly gale and rain! Cabins are smaller than on normal cruises and space inside limited. Something she is bound to encounter in these waters.

Edited by Ional
On 8/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Ional said:

Interesting to see how they cope sailing to Iceland, Norway and the Baltics. SC tried it but the Tropical bar isnt great in a westerly gale and rain! Cabins are smaller than on normal cruises and space inside limited. Something she is bound to encounter in these water

That was my first takeaway also...   Even in the summer, the North Sea and the Baltic can be ..... "questionable".  300 passengers crammed into the main lounge?  Also, those waters for an inaugural years sail for an inexperienced(at least with a 60 sail tall ship) crew?   An "adventure" may not be appropriate enough a description.  

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I've been considering taking the around Britain and Ireland cruise with the Golden Horizon next May but your comments would suggest that this might be a bad idea? Do you think it would be better to wait? They're only doing that particular cruise (with the stop-offs I want to visit) once.

Thanks for any advice you could give.

Regards

Audrey

• 4 weeks later...

Last Saturday there was a 6 page supplement in the Daily Telegraph, a major paper in the Uk advertising lots of cruises on the Golden Horrizon. Including through the Suez canal and around Australia.  

My feeling is thats its so sad its not being operated by Star Clippers who know how to sail these ships.  It looks like a Clipper ship, but it isnt going to be run like one.

Hopefully the new crew will learn, but not sure a N European summer will be as nice as tropical seas. Iceland????  Take thermals!

Like other posts I would just say that if the weather is hot and sunny it will be great. However the Tropical bar, or whatever they call it, is open sided and very wet in rain. The deck  open......so take waterproofs! and it will be crowded in the one large inside lounge for everyone to shelter inside.