Final payment date now is 60 days for remaining 2020 cruises

DaveFr

We book direct with Regent and facing a similar situation recently, we spoke to the UK office in Southampton who were most helpful and advised that, at that time Regent were not chasing payments and that we should hold off making that final payment until they got back to us, which they did, some 48 hours later.  Sadly, that was with news of the cancellation, but the impression we had was one of flexibility and of understanding our situation.  II see no reason whatsoever to work through a third party - the more so having read your story @swansong.  I hope you are able to resolve your situation sooner rather than later.

I find it very interesting how different TA’s work in different ways. My main grouse over here in Guernsey is that you cannot use your credit card for all or even part of your holiday. I think that some may allow it but charge a fee (maybe 4%), so that means no protection from the card companies.

I feel sorry for everyone trapped in all this current situation and can’t wait for things to improve. 

13 minutes ago, anniesh said:

Thank you all for your prompt comments.

I have spoken to the TA .

We have been given an extension.

Glad to hear, anniesh!  In the United States, Regent forced payment for that same cruise on Explorer (Singapore to Sydney) in July--the usual 150 days out.  We asked for--and were refused--an extension given conditions in the world.

Given quarantines or outright bans on foreigners entering any of the ports on our cruise for the rest of 2020, it is unbelievable Regent hasn't cancelled--and is, in fact, still selling space on that cruise.  As a first-time cruiser with Regent, this is providing a poor customer-service experience before we even have the opportunity to set foot on a Regent ship.  Time for  Regent to cancel all remaining cruises for 2020 and let us all move on with plans for 2021.

• Like 3

It must be very difficult balancing between customers, shareholders, employees and all of the support staff around the world whilst trying not to upset too many people. 

According to UK press P&O have cancelled all cruises until early next year. It would be interesting to see how they have managed that with their customers. 

46 minutes ago, Guerncruising said:

I find it very interesting how different TA’s work in different ways. My main grouse over here in Guernsey is that you cannot use your credit card for all or even part of your holiday. I think that some may allow it but charge a fee (maybe 4%), so that means no protection from the card companies.

I feel sorry for everyone trapped in all this current situation and can’t wait for things to improve. 

This indicates to me that those TA's charging that fee for using a credit card are those who take the payment early and use the money for themselves before forwarding the payment to Regent on the required due date.  They charge this since they are charged a percentage by the credit card company.  Believe all cruise lines accept credit card payments as the fees the credit card companies charge is included in the cruise fare and they earn by keeping your money in their hands while possibly also paying the cruise line with their credit card which means they actually pay up to almost 2 month later plus possibly earn cash back or points from their use of their credit cards.  And don't forget you also delay payment when using a credit card up to almost 2 months plus using a debit card or cash/check gives you none of the protections a credit card provides.

So in this case you might actually pay that credit card charge twice, once included in your fare and the other to your TA who might just use a corporate credit card that earns points to pay the cruise line when due.  An extremely devious way for TA's to earn more profits.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

We now have different rules in the UK, TA’s  are not allowed to charge a fee for credit cards. But many only allow Visa and MC, I prefer Amex so I always insisted (at the time of booking) that they allow me to pay Regent directly, it generally works. Perhaps you can try that approach?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, redmaid said:

Such a shame that Cruise Critic rules forbid your naming them.  People need to be warned against them

I’d try Cryptic clues or a couple of posts with names in them. Or using the RSSC FB page!

9 hours ago, Guerncruising said:

Remember than Guernsey is viewed as a different country and not the UK re credit cards banking rules

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

It used to be against VISA rules for a USA vendor to charge a surcharge for using a credit credit...not sure if it still is.

Believe it was a law when US gas stations would show a price and then upcharge for credit cards (all).  The law was on all credit card types not just visa so gas stations and other businesses simply raised prices and discounted for cash same result just different way to get there.

The law went away and now gas stations simply post two prices, credit and cash.  And stores have stopped upcharging and sometimes discount for gas.   Wasn't from Visa or any particular credit card type.

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I was from VISA for VISA merchants. I know because I worked there. Merchant credit card services at banks would drop vendors who surcharged for credit cards.

Well actually we are both right as I was incorrect, there are state laws regarding upcharges for credit cards and I live in one of those states.

Eleven states—California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas—and Puerto Rico have laws that prohibit merchants from charging consumers with surcharges on credit card transactions.Oct 13, 2016

11 hours ago, JMARINER said:

Here is  good explanation of how credit card vs cash surcharging works and where it is legal.

Your Complete Guide To Credit Card Surcharges

J

Thanks JMARINER,

Great help with the ardticle and confirms a lot more than just the Visa policy is involved and both Pcardad  and I were correct in our analysis and not a simple issue.  Plus flossie009 added the law in UK to the laws in various US States and Territories

Bottom line is be carful when a cruise line, TA, or any business wants to charge extra for using your credit card for a purchase..

• Like 2

That is odd, (US booking), we've always used a TA, we always use a credit card.  TA takes the number and forwqrds it to
Regent, Regent charges the card--not the TA.  Never had a % charged for using--If someone wants to charge a %-it's time to move on.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, redmaid said:

Now extended to cruises departing up to 31 March 

Final payment was delayed until 60 days prior to sailing for cruises through 31 March.  Next week the 2 April Navigator Amazon cruise will be first one that is requiring final payment 150 days in advance.  Has anyone heard yet  if final payment has been delayed for cruises after 31 March?  Our 31 May Navigator cruise final payment still listed as 1 January and I am hopeful for a delay.

Marc

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Final payment was delayed until 60 days prior to sailing for cruises through 31 March.  Next week the 2 April Navigator Amazon cruise will be first one that is requiring final payment 150 days in advance.  Has anyone heard yet  if final payment has been delayed for cruises after 31 March?  Our 31 May Navigator cruise final payment still listed as 1 January and I am hopeful for a delay.

Marc

They are still requiring payment for the April 2 Navigator cruise on Monday which is RIDICULOUS with not 1 boat in the water from any cruise company, or even a firm start date from US ports yet.

I want to cancel and just not pay but my husband wants to consider over the weekend. They REALLY need to fix this now to 60 or 90 days prior; I’ve noticed that other people are NOT paying for the cruise as well since several waitlisted categories late last week are no longer waitlisted as of today.