What Criteria Will You Use to Conclude It Is Safe To Cruise Again

pappy1022

3 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

👍 Same here! We don't concern ourselves with 'catching' the virus... it's just the effects that it is having on life as we know/knew it and people as a whole that are upsetting to us.  

Are you not concerned that if you “caught” the virus and didn’t have symptoms that you might pass it along to someone else unknowingly who gets very sick or dies and you were the spreader? That is exactly what is happening now with some of the younger people who are unknowingly spreading  COVID to people at risk. Maybe I misunderstood your point and if so I am sorry. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pappy, I 100% agree with you. Everybody is at risk of catching the virus, regardless of age and physical condition. And the results of catching the virus range from nothing to death — and everything in between. Severity also doesn’t connect with age or physical condition. Ignoring masks, distancing, and crowd avoidance is like playing Russian roulette with yourself!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Are you not concerned that if you “caught” the virus and didn’t have symptoms that you might pass it along to someone else unknowingly who gets very sick or dies and you were the spreader? That is exactly what is happening now with some of the younger people who are unknowingly spreading  COVID to people at risk. Maybe I misunderstood your point and if so I am sorry. 

pappy1022 - we aren't exactly in the younger crowd, either - mid-60's for both of us. But we can't live our lives in total fear because some germ or other is out there in public.  There's always going to be a flu of one kind or another, or the common cold, or something one might ingest that causes digestive illness....but even a vaccine such as they have now for the flu or shingles (or a multitude of others) is not 100% efffective.  Seems as though some people are so paralyzed by the fear of catching this virus that they let it take over their lives - and I DO feel sorry for them.  These folks should definitely stay in their own homes and not venture out if that makes them uncomfortable - no judgement there.  Others, such as ourselves, feel that the best way (for US) to fight this thing is to continue a healthy lifestyle which includes physical activity/exercise (fortunately we are still able), proper diet, and keeping our immune systems a bit challenged by being out and about. Sure, we're going to take what we consider reasonable precautions including frequent handwashing and staying away from others (if we are not feeling up to snuff) but this whole episode just makes me feel that people avoid each other ass though they have the plague.  How much longer will this go on?  I MISS my Regent family.....

• Like 5

Fair enough. My wife and I are in our mid 60's as well, in good health and take all of the recommended precautions. My wife is a part time (1 day/week) cardiac rehab nurse and went back to work on Monday for the first time since March. She got the call today that one of the patients tested positive for COVID-19 that was there on Monday. He didn't have any symptoms and was checked for a fever before coming into rehab. He was wearing a mask. COVID-19 is everywhere and we are seeing more and more people testing positive that have no symptoms. With the positive COVID-19 cases on several cruise ships, I can't see us cruising anytime in the near future. I just can't get comfortable being anywhere that is confined and has a lot of people, knowing that any one of them might be COVID-19 positive and unknowingly spreading the virus. But that's me and your argument and position are reasonable for those willing to take the risk. I would like to think that I am not fearful of COVID but respectful of the beast that it is.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

pappy1022 - we aren't exactly in the younger crowd, either - mid-60's for both of us. But we can't live our lives in total fear because some germ or other is out there in public.  There's always going to be a flu of one kind or another, or the common cold, or something one might ingest that causes digestive illness....but even a vaccine such as they have now for the flu or shingles (or a multitude of others) is not 100% efffective.  Seems as though some people are so paralyzed by the fear of catching this virus that they let it take over their lives - and I DO feel sorry for them.  These folks should definitely stay in their own homes and not venture out if that makes them uncomfortable - no judgement there.  Others, such as ourselves, feel that the best way (for US) to fight this thing is to continue a healthy lifestyle which includes physical activity/exercise (fortunately we are still able), proper diet, and keeping our immune systems a bit challenged by being out and about. Sure, we're going to take what we consider reasonable precautions including frequent handwashing and staying away from others (if we are not feeling up to snuff) but this whole episode just makes me feel that people avoid each other ass though they have the plague.  How much longer will this go on?  I MISS my Regent family.....

Please I hope what you consider appropriate includes wearing a mask in indoor public settings.  If so, I have no problem with your point of view.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Fair enough. My wife and I are in our mid 60's as well, in good health and take all of the recommended precautions. My wife is a part time (1 day/week) cardiac rehab nurse and went back to work on Monday for the first time since March. She got the call today that one of the patients tested positive for COVID-19 that was there on Monday. He didn't have any symptoms and was checked for a fever before coming into rehab. He was wearing a mask. COVID-19 is everywhere and we are seeing more and more people testing positive that have no symptoms. With the positive COVID-19 cases on several cruise ships, I can't see us cruising anytime in the near future. I just can't get comfortable being anywhere that is confined and has a lot of people, knowing that any one of them might be COVID-19 positive and unknowingly spreading the virus. But that's me and your argument and position are reasonable for those willing to take the risk. I would like to think that I am not fearful of COVID but respectful of the beast that it is.

Respectful.....I like that. Good description of your approach to this illness.

3 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Please I hope what you consider appropriate includes wearing a mask in indoor public settings.  If so, I have no problem with your point of view.

We will wear a mask where mandated but have to chuckle when we see a person ALONE in a car wearing one.  😄

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

We will wear a mask where mandated but have to chuckle when we see a person ALONE in a car wearing one.  😄

They may be on their way somewhere where they must wear one--and are more comfortable fitting the mask at home.  Just a for instance.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

BTW, I'm sure I've said this before, but perhaps it bears repeating.  We are of the demographic where we're likely to be severely impacted by this virus if we contract it.  But I must say that hidden in all the statistics it seems clear that many people, middle-aged people, are being quite medically damaged by the virus in ways that weren't clear back in February or March when we thought it was a mere respiratory virus.  And it's also fairly clear that a strong immune system doesn't necessarily protect you--in fact the virus can have the effect of your immune system running amok and attacking you.

We would need something similar to what flossie009 said in Post # 51. Maybe I'm missing something here, (if so please enlighten me) but why are people so worried about a virus which has infected 0.26% of people world-wide, & 1.5% of the population of the US?? I fully realise that the media portrays it as a combination of Ebola, The Black Death, & The Zombie Apocalypse, but do we really need to be so scared?? 5 flights, 7 airports, numerous restaurant visits, too many shopping trips to count etc. etc. & we're still here, living our lives as normally as possible...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Very true words. Even though I come from a country ( Germany) which has never been affected that hard you can feel the fear everywhere. It is completely paralyzing the whole society in a way that there is no more space for reasonable discussions. 

No matter if you talk about traveling or returning to the schools you will be immediately accused of endangering others. No idea how long this will last but even when the virus might disappear It still will be a long way back to normalcy. And an even longer way to cruising like it used to be....

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 7:40 AM, mrlevin said:

According to someone onboard reporting on the roll call they were all supposed to be on yesterday's ATN flight to LAX.

edited to add:  Saw the report from FP tourism that said they were to remain a week; so. now I am confused.

I agree it is confusing. Over on the roll call for the affected cruise one of the passengers said they were given the option of going straight to the airport to fly home or stay in Papeete under seven day quarantine. The writer went to the airport but states they were responsible for the change fee. They also said the cruise line giving them 200% refund though is being asked to verify refund and not FCC. Only 16 international passengers, cannot imagine the havoc if numbers were more typical. In other news there is now a report of an air tahiti nui flight attendant testing positive.

The "endangering others" comments should be applied appropriately.  The people that are attending parties or events where they're are a lot of people not wearing masks is endangering others.  Not wearing a mask in any environment where you are less than 6' from another person is putting them in danger.  However, properly wearing a masks (not having it sit beneath your nose) and distancing is not "endangering others".

Going on a a cruise before a vaccine is developed and administered worldwide does have a risk.  Some of us are willing to take that risk and others are not.  I expect 100% enforcement of the protocols on Regent.  However, if that is not enough, you can try to take a vacation where you do not have to fly or visit places in the U.S. where masks and social distancing is or is not required - depending if you wish to put others at risk or not.

10 minutes ago, sita said:
On 8/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, mrlevin said:

According to someone onboard reporting on the roll call they were all supposed to be on yesterday's ATN flight to LAX.

edited to add:  Saw the report from FP tourism that said they were to remain a week; so. now I am confused.

I agree it is confusing. Over on the roll call for the affected cruise one of the passengers said they were given the option of going straight to the airport to fly home or stay in Papeete under seven day quarantine. The writer went to the airport but states they were responsible for the change fee. They also said the cruise line giving them 200% refund though is being asked to verify refund and not FCC. Only 16 international passengers, cannot imagine the havoc if numbers were more typical. In other news there is now a report of an air tahiti nui flight attendant testing positive.

Yes, very confusing and from what I have found following the Roll Call and Paul Gauguin board,, a person with the CC name Jimmy said yesterday he was home and that the Cruise Director told him he had a choice of quarantining for 7 days in Tahiti or going to the airport to fly home if an available seat or seats.   We are talking about a total of 5 people who flew in from Los Angeles..  The 22 year old lady plus her Mom plus Jimmy leave 2 more and not sure if they both or one were with Jimmy or??  In any case the people living in Tahiti were supposedly allowed to go home and quarantine at home and have no idea about the other 11 of 16 International travelers.

Not impressed at all with how this was handled by the Tahitian authorities in this situation and no idea if the Air Tahiti Nui Flight Attendent got the virus from any of the Paul Gauguin cruiser.   Too many options and questions that remain unanswered.

PG is not Regent and Air Tahiti does not represent all airlines.  One can not make valid assumptions without knowing the facts.  Was the flight attendant wearing a mask?  Were people sitting next to each other or was the middle seat left vacant?  What were the protocols on the ship?  

9 minutes ago, sita said:

Not assuming anything, just informational. Would want to know (operationally) what happens with a positive test onboard on Regent or any line.

I can't confirm this but I heard the new CDC policy was for the ship's crew to launch the infected passenger over the rail after allowing them one final specialty cocktail from the bar...

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

Herb and I were just discussing several new covid cases in our Senior community.  We are an older community so ages are up there. 
We know several of the folks recently infected. The people we know have all had very mild cases, no hospitalization required. 
Perhaps, here in Florida, the virus may have mutated, not causing the serious illness we saw just several months ago. 
Just guessing....
We have children and grandchildren who all understand our reasoning regarding cruising. We are in our eighties and have a limited time to enjoy living. 

We will sail again, whenever the CDC gives permission. Hope it’s sooner than later. And... hope Regent survives. 🙏🤞👍🚢🥂

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, sita said:

Not assuming anything, just informational. Would want to know (operationally) what happens with a positive test onboard on Regent or any line.

Don't believe anyone can answer your question at this point and won't be able to answer until the CDC puts out the final requirements and Regent as well as all other cruise lines develop and implement their protocols.

And in response to an expectation that Regent will provide 100% enforcement of all protocols; based on my past Regent cruises plus reports on this CC board, difficult to believe there will be 100% enforcement.  Just too many reports of lack of enforcement of various rules and protocols.  Sincerely hoping this belief is incorrect and that all the cruise lines make sure that all protocols are religiously followed and enforced.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

PG is not Regent and Air Tahiti does not represent all airlines.  One can not make valid assumptions without knowing the facts.  Was the flight attendant wearing a mask?  Were people sitting next to each other or was the middle seat left vacant?  What were the protocols on the ship?  

My comments were in regards to the Tahitian Government actions which are known and have nothing to do with the unknown Air Tahiti Nui and Paul Gauguin rules, protocols and situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Don't believe anyone can answer your question at this point and won't be able to answer until the CDC puts out the final requirements and Regent as well as all other cruise lines develop and implement their protocols.

And in response to an expectation that Regent will provide 100% enforcement of all protocols; based on my past Regent cruises plus reports on this CC board, difficult to believe there will be 100% enforcement.  Just too many reports of lack of enforcement of various rules and protocols.  Sincerely hoping this belief is incorrect and that all the cruise lines make sure that all protocols are religiously followed and enforced.

I question your response. This is not about chair hogging, dress code, or any of the first world problems we might encounter on a Regent ship. Rules for this virus will be vital to be enforced. 
All protocols must be followed if Regent expects  to survive this crisis. 
sheila

1 minute ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

All protocols must be followed if Regent expects  to survive this crisis.

Agree with you Sheila but, am concerned if a company does not follow fairly simple rules like you described, how can they be expected to follow the critical protocols that are coming.

As I said, hope I am incorrect and ready to be proven wrong once cruising begins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gb58 said:

We would need something similar to what flossie009 said in Post # 51. Maybe I'm missing something here, (if so please enlighten me) but why are people so worried about a virus which has infected 0.26% of people world-wide, & 1.5% of the population of the US?? I fully realise that the media portrays it as a combination of Ebola, The Black Death, & The Zombie Apocalypse, but do we really need to be so scared?? 5 flights, 7 airports, numerous restaurant visits, too many shopping trips to count etc. etc. & we're still here, living our lives as normally as possible...

Where do you reside and what’s your age. Makes a big difference. Just follow the numbers. When it was 40% positive rate I was petrified my Mom was going to get it. Now that it hovers around 1% in NY I feel more relaxed that with the proper precautions. 

1 hour ago, Balian65 said:

Very true words. Even though I come from a country ( Germany) which has never been affected that hard you can feel the fear everywhere. It is completely paralyzing the whole society in a way that there is no more space for reasonable discussions. 

No matter if you talk about traveling or returning to the schools you will be immediately accused of endangering others. No idea how long this will last but even when the virus might disappear It still will be a long way back to normalcy. And an even longer way to cruising like it used to be....

You are so right.....