hotels San Diego

Michelle c

I have narrowed my choices of hotels in San Diego and was hoping someone could help me rank them? I have never been to San Diego so not familiar with area. We will be staying for 2 nights. I have read reviews on Tripadvisor and all seem to be decent choices. 

Embassy Suites

Homewood Suites (Pacific Hwy)

Hampton Inn (Pacific Hwy)

Carte

Hotel Republic

I believe my choices all are within walking distance to restaurants. Help me pick a hotel please?

What's important to you? I'd pick the Carte or Hotel Republic first because they are great boutique hotels.

I would not pick the Embassy Suites or Hampton Inn (unless they were the only ones available and I was using Hilton points).

I like the Homewood Suites, but I like the other two better.

Why is the Intercontinental not on the list? Or the Residence Inn/SpringHill Suites? Those might be my top three based on location and amenities.

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy. numerous times.  Once I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Pacific Hwy. which shares space with the Homewood Suites.  I like both hotels.  The Hampton Inn is closer to the cruise terminal, and most times I just walk over there on embarkation day.

We just returned from a long weekend at the Hilton Gaslamp.  We have visited SD for many years and many times a year.  This hotel has become our go to place to stay.  In these times you can be lucky to get a room in the loft tower for $175 that last year would have cost you $450.  There are many many excellent places to eat just out the door, Tuscano, Lou and Mickey's, Union Kitchen, and Tin Fish to name a few.  The only one on your list we have stayed at recently is ES.  It was a little worn around the edges last time we were there.  It did have some decent places to eat within walking distance.  There are more sightseeing locations close by like USS Midway and bay cruises or ferry over to Coronado.  We go to just relax, eat, and walk.  If it's your first time to SD and you want to sightsee then something closer to ES, Seaport Village, USS Midway would probably better serve you.      

9 minutes ago, Roz said:

How is it a dump?  Please elaborate.

It's not a coporate owned propertyt, it's private. The wife and I stay at Hamptons when we can because we enjoy the free breakfast in the morning and most are very nice.

This property is very dirty. Very small. Pool area was filled with old patio furniture and dead plants and palm trees.

Staff were not helpful when I smelled smoke in our room. We were going to stay there for a couple nights for a staycation but we checked out after one.

If you like Hampton properties, there is a brand new, nice Hampton about two miles from this one. It is right next to the airport on North Harbor Drive and Lee Court. Right next to it is a brand new Towne Place Suites by Marriot and across a small bridge is both a Homewood Suites and a Courtyard by Marriot.

11 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

It's not a coporate owned propertyt, it's private. The wife and I stay at Hamptons when we can because we enjoy the free breakfast in the morning and most are very nice.

This property is very dirty. Very small. Pool area was filled with old patio furniture and dead plants and palm trees.

Staff were not helpful when I smelled smoke in our room. We were going to stay there for a couple nights for a staycation but we checked out after one.

If you like Hampton properties, there is a brand new, nice Hampton about two miles from this one. It is right next to the airport on North Harbor Drive and Lee Court. Right next to it is a brand new Towne Place Suites by Marriot and across a small bridge is both a Homewood Suites and a Courtyard by Marriot.

I've stayed there several times, most recently this past January.  Did not find it to be dirty at all.  Guess I have low standards.  I wouldn't keep booking it for cruises out of SD if it was so bad.

• Like 1

The Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway would be my last choice in the area, but it has nothing to do with the property itself (other than train tracks). I just think there are newer hotels in better locations. If I HAD to stay there (everything else was booked or was too expensive) I would with zero concerns.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:42 PM, scottca075 said:

The trolley and trolley crossing would drive me nuts at the Hilton Gaslamp.

The newer hotels in the Columbia neighborhood are in a better area and you have all the restaurants of Little Italy right there.

Never been a problem for us.  But we try to book on the Loft side facing Hard Rock and not the regular side facing the dog park.  We had the windows open every night and never heard the Trolley during the night and only the horn a few times in the AM.  They are now closing down 5th street between L and J allowing restaurants to have more outside seating.  We had a huge selection of places to eat.  Not sure what they are doing in other parts of downtown.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this hotel is in your price range or if you have hotel points;  but I have stayed at both the Hyatt that is close to cruise port and Seaport Village;  with lots of dining choices;  or the Marriott that sits right on the water at Seaport Village

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:57 AM, bcwife76 said:

We always stay at the Wyndham Bayside, it's right across the street from the port and quite central.

Us too.  Walk to Little Italy for dinner, walk to drug store or grocery store if need be, walk to the pier in the morning. We paid a little more to be in the tower - great view.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 8:57 AM, bcwife76 said:

We always stay at the Wyndham Bayside, it's right across the street from the port and quite central.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:10 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

Us too.  Walk to Little Italy for dinner, walk to drug store or grocery store if need be, walk to the pier in the morning. We paid a little more to be in the tower - great view.

Not sure when you were last in San Diego, but there are three new hotels directly across from the cruise terminal. There is the Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront and Hotel Intercontinental San Diego. The Wyndham looks rather long in the tooth by comparison. Here is the map showing the new hotels at street level I posted before.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZjFJguZtp3n6Bubb7

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

How far is the drug store?  CVS or Walgreens?  Does the hotel transfer your luggage to the ship?