Enthusiasm for cruising

Is your cruise vacation enthusiasm the same as last year?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is your cruise vacation enthusiasm the same as last year?

• Absolutely - I plan to cruise more than ever in the future
    • About the same - I plan to cruise same as previously In the future
    • Less - I’ve realized there are other vacation options besides cruising and plan to add variety in the future.
    • Gone - I no longer plan on cruising in the future.

Going back a couple years, we started cruising 2x a year....school break in March and before returning to school end of August (and DH threw in an extra one.  So once cruising starts again, I put the same number of times.  Hated losing our cruise this past March, and now our summer plans are gone.  Having said that, for the first time, we booked Christmas next year....but that's more cause we lost this year and it was a replacement.  Don't think typically we will cruise Christmas (due to flight costs)....but fingers crossed next Dec it works.  I can't wait for things to get back to normal again where cruises start up and we don't live in fear of this virus (and of course, day to day life).  TO me, there really is no other vacation a good as a cruise.

I want to keep cruising, and am near heartbroken over the thought of our "Chairman's cruise" with Viking either not taking place or else that we might not feel safe enough to do it (if it goes as planned). My bucket list is entirely manageable without cruising, but I've really come to enjoy it as a means of traveling over the past 10 years or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapeGal said:

We are looking forward on getting back out there. Even if we just decide to enjoy our balcony and enjoy room service. emoji5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My sentiments exactly!!!  Someone said they'd be so bummed to have to wear a mask due to the decreased level of social interaction. I say...heck with all that. Just gimme the ocean, my balcony, being able to walk around the decks when it's not real crowded, and I'm good (although I DO very much like shore excursions since a key point of cruising for us IS to travel to and see new places). Given a choice though between giving up some of the latter and not cruising at all, I'll still go and take along some good books to read and spend time chilling on the patio. Would be nice to eat once in awhile though...  😁

Edited by OnTheJourney

49 minutes ago, island lady said:

I was missing it terribly at first....but now?  Eh, out of sight...out of mind I guess.  Have moved on.  Still want to cruise again someday..but not sure if or when that will happen now. 

That sums it up for us.  We shifted all reservations out to 15-19 months from now.  Have moved on and made other plans for next winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I was missing it terribly at first....but now?  Eh, out of sight...out of mind I guess.  Have moved on.  Still want to cruise again someday..but not sure if or when that will happen now. 

We feel the same.

The  thought of mask wearing and social distancing although important with Covid19 takes away the freedom appeal of cruising.

We have a cruise booked with P&O on their newest ship next spring but will wait till final payment is due to decide our course of action and will possibly cancel.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Pat, without a doubt, I agree. There are many other ways to travel, spend our money and enjoy our retirement. 🍷

• Like 1

I'm very enthusiastic about cruising--love it, but I'm not very optimistic about being able to do it again anytime soon.  My husband and I will do road trips as soon as we both feel comfortable again, and I will cruise solo as soon as I feel comfortable about doing that.  My "me" time is solo cruising, and my husband's "me" time is solo motorcycle road trips, and usually our "our" time is a combination of motorcycle trips, 4-wheeled trips and cruising, so we have other options.  We don't plan to waste our retirement unless we just have to.  I'm OK with Plan B for now.

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Pretty much agree.  We were fortunate enough to get our February cruise completed before the crap hit the fan. A June cruise was canceled and we L&S our November 2020 cruise to 2021.  Unless a miracle happens, I don't see cruising starting up until mid 2021, so I'm really in an "on hold" mode for at least a year.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not believe that I will ever cruise again.One of the largest Travel Agencies announced a few days ago that they are closing all their offices because they do not believe that cruising will ever return to what it was.

Len - I hope it turns out that you're wrong about not cruising again. We have a God of love, and He has good things in store for those who honor Him. God bless and protect you.

Our typical vacations were cruising and Disney - both which may take awhile to return to the same caliber.

This summer, after our Alaska cruise was canceled, we took a beach vacation. In the past, we'd rent out a condo in a high-rise in Destin, Florida, but we weren't comfortable with the idea of a populated beach and shared pool and amenities. So instead we booked a private home with a pool and a hot tub right on the water in New Port Richey, FL. Only left the house for groceries. It was almost like a cruise, except we weren't moving, and we had to cook our own meals (but better than MDR imo!!). We really enjoyed the privacy and not having any crowds. We're not so optimistic that cruising will return this year, so we're looking at this kind of alternative vacation for Christmas.... maybe someplace further south.

Also, BF's passport was sent in for renewal in March, and we're still waiting to get that back....

No interest in cruising with any restrictions , so i wont be cruising .

Its always too hot and humid in the caribbean anyway , lol .

I am of the opinion that they falsely report the temps  10 C degrees lower than they really are .