Europe 2021.... all canceled?

Cruisesfun65

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

With cruises "suddenly disappearing" as seems to be the case here, I can imagine the following scenario being the root cause of the "surprise":

Cruise Line: OK, let's limit capacity to 75% to help with social distancing.  We are currently 58% booked, so we can keep selling cabins.

Local Gov't (Europe, CDC, whatever): Hey, just to give you a heads up, we think we're going to mandate cruise lines operate at 50% capacity max.

Cruise Line: Shut. Down. Everything.

MSC is going with 70% capacity.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23333-msc-protocols-go-above-and-beyond-says-ceo-onorato.html

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Have you thought of flying there and exploring with a tour group? Americans aren't welcome at present, but maybe in time. Maybe leave the kids with grandma or something. 

You won't be able to fly there until European countries open back up to US travelers.  That could be next week or in 2121.  I would guess all EU countries would open at same time.  But all are experiencing different levels of CV19.    The Netherlands, for example has zero mask requirements and very very few, if any CV19 cases. Norway has a huge drop in cases, but France and Germany and the UK are still experiencing lockdowns and increased cases.

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The only two left.

The Spirit transpacific had been cancelled when Alaska was cancelled. Not sure if there was another.

Magic was supposed to go there and they already cancelled those.  

5 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Y'all are making me scared and sad.  Dreams of next summer in Europe is what has gotten me through the hell of this lockdown.  😢

Wishing you the best of luck with these possible cruises, but the latest setbacks, especially the one with the Norwegian based line in Norway, makes me think that the European countries will not make it easy for cruises to continue.

Such a tough decision. With my Oct. cruise cancelled I had planned to pay off my Transatlantic in 2021. May just take the refund. Booked the biggest suite for our 20th anniversary. I had remained in good spirits until this even after 4 other cancelled cruises. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, Cruisesfun65 said:

Can't book for any cruise in Europe voor 2021. Our existing ones are also not showing.

Kind of early to cancel the entire European season, don't you think???

You wanting the most  optimistic view or a realistic view based on what history and the current trend is? 

5 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

You wanting the most  optimistic view or a realistic view based on what history and the current trend is? 

I'm actually not looking for a view at this point, but for Carnival's announcement as to what is happening with the Legend sailings. 

6 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

. . .My theory: I think they are going to pull the Legend out of Europe and use her for some of the sailings in the US for ships they scrap/sell.  There is more risk in Europe, probably more regulations, and probably less profit.  Plus HAL and Princess go there.  They can probably simply make more money in the US with that ship with less hassle.  That's my theory anyway.  I bet the suits are at least considering it even if they haven't made the official decision. 

That's my theory, too.  Carnival hasn't had a big presence in Europe recently, and short cruises from U.S. ports may be more profitable for them.  Of course it's speculation, and none of know.   But for those of us booked on the Legend next year, it's normal to be thinking about the possibility and what we might do if Carnival cancels the 2021 sailings in Europe. Frankly, I will take a refund on my deposit and book nothing until cruising returns to a near-normal experience.    And, sadly, I am prepared for that to be several years away.  😢

• Like 2

I have copied the following from the October 2021 Transatlantic roll call

(   I just got off the phone with Carnival (3:20 pm PST August 6, 2021).  The representative stated that the cruise is still on.  The European and Trans-Atlantic sailings from March 5 thru May 21, 2021 have been cancelled.  This means our cruise is still (as of now) a go.  I asked the Carnival person to look at booking a new person on this cruise to verify what we are seeing online; the cruise is now unavailable.  After verifying that the cruise could not be booked, she explained that there is a limit now on the occupancy of the cruise, and that our cruise has reached (hopefully not exceeded - my input) this limit.  She did not know the exact occupancy percentage limit being placed.  Also, I asked if the venues would be reduced (number of eating places, shows, etc.)?  She did not have this information, but thought that Carnival is working out these details.  The way I see things right now (my interpretation), those that have a reservation still have one, but anyone else wanting to make a reservation can not - at least at this time.

Personally, my wife and I reserved 4 B2B (B2B2B2B) cruises on the Legend in the same stateroom starting 10/4/21 in Rome and ending in Baltimore.  At the time (before the virus), it seemed like a smart and economical decision to maximize the number of ports for the money, and have at least one Trans-Atlantic cruise to reduce air travel (I am not a fan of).

I will be putting this same post on other Roll Calls, so some of you with overlapping B2B cruises will see the same thing (I am being lazy, but trying to spread what I found today).  As always, things are subject to change, so keep fingers crossed.  Also, we will be holding off on making air and travel reservations for the near future.)

Edited by maryann2

As I mentioned on the TA roll call hold off booking flights hotels and tours for now.

Carnival has said this before, unable to book as they are reducing capacity,  before they cancelled the cruise.

The Legend needs to have a TA to get to Europe so now in May ???

Thanks for the update. I hope that everything you have been told is correct. We will be on the August 6, 2021 Legend with you. I could understand Carnival not letting you book a particular ship because of limitations, but why would they pull ALL European bookings?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

As I mentioned on the TA roll call hold off booking flights hotels and tours for now.

Carnival has said this before, unable to book as they are reducing capacity,  before they cancelled the cruise.

The Legend needs to have a TA to get to Europe so now in May ???

Maybe they are going to swap ships. A Fantasy class ship is already there. What other ships?

Just now, mark316 said:

Thanks for the update. I hope that everything you have been told is correct. We will be on the August 6, 2021 Legend with you. I could understand Carnival not letting you book a particular ship because of limitations, but why would they pull ALL European bookings?

Sorry for the confusion.

I copied the above post by Engr2cruz.

I am just doing the TA.  I agree though why would they pull all European bookings.

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

After verifying that the cruise could not be booked, she explained that there is a limit now on the occupancy of the cruise, and that our cruise has reached (hopefully not exceeded - my input) this limit. 

Now, where have I heard this before??

Oh right!!! Before every single cancelation round this year.

This has been the go-to excuse and it's getting old.

2 hours ago, mark316 said:

We are on the Legend August 6th as well and have some friends that want to book, but there is no way possible. I asked John Heald about the cruises and he responded.....

"Hello, yes these were so popular they reach capacity very quickly so we have removed them but we have not canceled them and if we are able to add any more guests we will let you know. I am sorry but I hope we see you as planned having fun"

Carnival Europe Cruises.png

Has anyone contacted Carnival about booking their flights to Europe for the 2021 Legend sailings?  I believe flights can be booked approximately 330 days beforehand, so should be able for the June and  early July sailings.  If Carnival won't book the flights maybe that is the proverbial "writing on the wall".

On 8/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, maryann2 said:

Don't believe John Heald!

They are no longer open for booking.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:47 AM, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, John works for Carnival, why would we believe him.....

1 hour ago, Gone Cruising said:

We are on the Legend August 6th as well and have some friends that want to book, but there is no way possible. I asked John Heald about the cruises and he responded.....

"Hello, yes these were so popular they reach capacity very quickly so we have removed them but we have not canceled them and if we are able to add any more guests we will let you know. I am sorry but I hope we see you as planned having fun"

Carnival Europe Cruises.png

Yes why would we believe him.

1 hour ago, SwissMrs said:

Has anyone contacted Carnival about booking their flights to Europe for the 2021 Legend sailings?  I believe flights can be booked approximately 330 days beforehand, so should be able for the June and  early July sailings.  If Carnival won't book the flights maybe that is the proverbial "writing on the wall".

You hit the nail on the head.