Which Norway Itinerary is Better?

After our Norway itinerary was cancelled for next year, I am scrambling to consider other options. Please compare and critique these two itineraries.

A) 7 Nights

Amsterdam

Eidfjord

Molde

Geiranger

Bergen

Amsterdam

B) 8 Nights

Amsterdam

Flam

Alesund

Skjolden

Olden

Bergen

Amsterdam

In your opinion, which one wins? Is Geiranger that much of a must-see that it automatically wins out over Itinerary B?

Thanks in advance!

Flåm is also a ‘must see’ - Skjolden and Olden are also good locations - and Ålesund - ‘B’ is not  bad either.

For ‘A’ only highlight is Geiranger - Bergen at both itineraries.

Why this new topic?  What’s wrong with this:

Edited by hallasm

Flåm is also a ‘must see’ - Skjolden and Olden are also good locations - and Ålesund - ‘B’ is not  bad either.
For ‘A’ only highlight is Geiranger - Bergen at both itineraries.

Why this new topic?  What’s wrong with this:

Thanks for the reply! I was unable to delete the old topic. And they do ask different questions.

Skjolden was my least favorite port. Unfortunately - they are not setup well to handle large ships tourism wise. There wasn't enough tours for people to go on. Unless everyone wants to go to a Stave church.

Geiranger by far is the most beautiful sailing into and from the fjord. So any sailing with Geiranger as stop it the best! https://www.fjordnorway.com/geiranger

I think we can get a ‘private’ sailing in and out of Geiranger from Alesund, a stop in Itinerary B. So I’m not sure Geiranger automatically wins in this case.

2 hours ago, stickey_mouse said:

I think we can get a ‘private’ sailing in and out of Geiranger from Alesund, a stop in Itinerary B. So I’m not sure Geiranger automatically wins in this case.

Sailing into or from Alesund is by far not as great as sailing into/from Geiranger. Saling B doesnot get into Geiranger. Your option might indeed be a  privatetour from Alesund to Geiranger, but that is mostly a combination of land and ferries to cross the water and not realy sail through the Geiranger fjord. Another option from Alesund is the  land tour (by rental car or private driver) to Trollstigen.

Edited by Ine

1 minute ago, Ine said:

Sailing into or from Alesund is by far not as great as sailing into/from Geiranger.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. From Alesund, you can get a private excursion on a smaller boat that sails to and from Geiranger. It's a day trip, from Alesund.

1 minute ago, stickey_mouse said:

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. From Alesund, you can get a private excursion on a smaller boat that sails to and from Geiranger. It's a day trip, from Alesund.

That depends how long your ship will be in Alesund and if you will have plenty of time.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

There is a boat trip from Ålesund to Geiranger leaving Ålesund at 9 am and back at 5 pm  - two hours stop inGeiranger. Price NOK 1,160.

Sounds great, but  duble check the exact arival and departure times. Some ships leave around that time and back on board is at least 30 minutes earlier. So it really depends on the hours the ship is in port. 

• 2 weeks later...

Flam has the railway ...... world class excursion .....  

For us Ger' was VERY crowded ... PACKED .... we went to Flam on our own after our cruise which ended in Bergen.  Did Norway in a Nutshell with train /bus / ferry to Flam, spent a nite there (sleepy town when the ships leave for the day) then next day Flam railway to meet the train to Oslo .....

100_0399.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, Capt_BJ said:

Flam has the railway ...... world class excursion .....  

For us Ger' was VERY crowded ... PACKED .... we went to Flam on our own after our cruise which ended in Bergen.  Did Norway in a Nutshell with train /bus / ferry to Flam, spent a nite there (sleepy town when the ships leave for the day) then next day Flam railway to meet the train to Oslo .....

100_0399.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

Capt_BJ, awesome pics! What time of the year was it? Summer? Does not look too sunny over there 🙂

• 1 month later...

we did nutshell when our cruise ended on Bergen and did drag our bags .... it was a bit of a PITA but WAS doable. Every leg of the trip there WAS someplace to put bags ... special racks or the typical bus storage area ... they were never 'underfoot'

We made the post cruise a long leg .. spent two extra days in Bergen then booked via nutshell and stayed a night in Flam (become a quiet place when the cruisers leave), then the remaining train to Oslo for 3 nites before flight home.

Nutshell Bergen to Oslo is a LONG day .... just the direct train Oslo/Bergen is a long day (did that previously). Breaking it up with  the nite in Flam was restful .....

If we do it again I WILL consider use the baggage shipping tho .. altho we've had good luck with AirB&B which does not get this service .... decisions decisions ....

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.d1df1c4a7f96b2bf282074832379146f.JPG

Flam after the cruise ship left . . . it is in the distance

• 9 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 2:23 PM, Capt_BJ said:

we did nutshell when our cruise ended on Bergen and did drag our bags .... it was a bit of a PITA but WAS doable. Every leg of the trip there WAS someplace to put bags ... special racks or the typical bus storage area ... they were never 'underfoot'

Capt_BJ .....If you had to choose between a DIY Nutshell with overnights in Oslo, Flam and Bergen or a 7 day fjord cruise which includes Bergen (but not Flam and Olso)  which would you choose?

@MDTrip - I’m not Capt_BJ but in order to provide a qualified answer please provide full Itinerary of your  7 day cruise - Flåm is not the only port of interesse at a Norwegian Fjord Cruise - However important that some of the deep fjord ports like Geiranger and/or Olden are included - Oslo is not normally included in a Norwegian fjord cruise.

Difficult to directly compare Norway in a Nutshell and a cruise.

22 hours ago, hallasm said:

@MDTrip - I’m not Capt_BJ but in order to provide a qualified answer please provide full Itinerary of your  7 day cruise - Flåm is not the only port of interesse at a Norwegian Fjord Cruise - However important that some of the deep fjord ports like Geiranger and/or Olden are included - Oslo is not normally included in a Norwegian fjord cruise.

Difficult to directly compare Norway in a Nutshell and a cruise.

Our 7 day cruise itinerary is : Amsterdam - Alesund - Bergen -Geiranger - Stavanger - Amsterdam. I would appreciate your thoughts on doing the cruise versus spending about 4-5 nights doing Norway in a Nutshell with an overnight stop in the middle of the trip (Flam or nearby.) We are in our late 60s and do not plan to hike.

Norway in a Nutshell is a much more active tour than a cruise - Train from Oslo to Myrdal -  change to Flåm train - boat trips on the fjords, bus and overnight stay in the area before continuing to Bergen by bus or train. You can buy a ‘Norway in Nutshell’ package by most people are booking train, hotel, bus and boat trips separately. 
Flåm is primarily know from the train and possible a bike back downhill from Myrdal - from a cruise perspective Geiranger is much better - long scenic sailing and then multiple view points with an amazing views - several bus options in Geiranger for the view points.

Ålesund is a very picturesque city.

I’ll suggest the cruise from Amsterdam - Geiranger is a worthy substitute for Flåm. You must be up early to enjoy the scenic sailing through the fjords into Geiranger.

As I mentioned in another post (other subject)  Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes in combination with the train ride Oslo to Bergen might be an alternative. A different experience.