Cruise Critic Community
richwmn

The Daily for Wednesday Aug 5, 2020

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the Daily Report.  Love the maps.

I will wear underwear, but I will not work like a dog today.  Love Vonnegut.

The dinner suggestion and wine sounds great.

Sending prayers to everyone on the Care List.  Good luck with the dentist Roy.

And thanks to those who post pictures.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Stay safe. 

Edited by puppycanducruise

2 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Our fire continues to grow and air quality is horrible.  Of course no rain.

Many of us wish we could have sent you a couple of inches yesterday, but fortunately for us our trouble was brief.

Roy

I wonder if Westerdam is planning to go through the Suez Canal and into the Med?  I can't think of why else she would be visiting Mombasa.  I don't imagine anyone will be going ashore - and Mombasa has endemic malaria, we always had to take a prophylaxis before we went there when we lived in Nairobi.

And I wonder if Koningsdam is sitting in Balboa waiting to see if there is going to be a Caribbean season, or if she will just wait for the Spring and stay in the Pacific.

Roy, good luck with the extraction, and thank you, Rich, for the Daily.  It is nice to keep in touch with cruising news and friends!

15 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

And I wonder if Koningsdam is sitting in Balboa waiting to see if there is going to be a Caribbean season, or if she will just wait for the Spring and stay in the Pacific.

Except she's due for Mexican Rivera cruises this winter.,  Copper thought she was due to go through the Panama Canal but I can't figure out why that would happen.

Roy

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Good news.  Got my refund back for my deposit on my October cruise that was cancelled.   Nice for it now as my car repair bill yesterday was larger than expected.

That is good news.  I’m hoping my airfare refunds appear as promised this month as we are putting in a new kitchen counter (and sink of course).  

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’m late this morning as I have been outside cleaning up and trying to salvage my smashed chilies and broken dahlias.  No serious damage other than some branches that I can see so far so all is good.  So, I guess I am celebrating Work like a Dog day before I knew it was that day 🙂 

Underwear day?  No comment from me on that one either 😉 

Yum on oysters and seafood salad ❤️. That Portuguese wine sounds lovely.  Thanks for the description @cat shepard and for the inquiry.

@rafinmd sorry to hear about the tooth. I hope it comes out easily and is not too painful after for you 🤞🙏🏻

@Overhead Fred beautiful pics as always

I snapped a couple of pics yesterday as I didn’t know what the storm would do to the plants.  Haven’t been out front yet to survey things - been busy enough on the side and in the back 😉 

The liatris out front has started to bloom.  For those fighting deer, they don’t touch these and the blooms last quite a while.  I’ll post a pic later when they are in full bloom (if they weren’t destroyed - they don’t have a lot of protection as they usually don’t require it):

929CE091-173F-4CDA-AB67-45DB9B938688.thumb.jpeg.ecf699e4fda8efaca2fccad4150eb891.jpeg

And my astilbe out front is looking good:

CB4D4CD9-153A-4CCC-8DA2-A864EA877ED8.thumb.jpeg.0e915d411f13cef63567615a8c7f6b34.jpeg

And for my dog loving friends, this is a plant you don’t want to see and you don’t want your dogs to touch.  It’s wild mustard  and has just appeared here.  It will cause huge gastrointestinal distress and diarrhea for dogs and can even be poisonous.  Beware - it’s new here and apparently spreading around.  Grows near the side of the road here.  I was determined to figure out why my dogs got sick since nothing had changed in diet or routine and when I was walking them, I saw them trying to eat these flowers I had not seen before and did some research.  

If it is allowed to grow, it looks like this:

B90AFE6F-741E-4A4A-B3AD-74A18D95E8A3.jpeg.ea2934066e5d29979a64dbfea760c76a.jpeg

If people mow it, it’s smaller and looks like this:

7BEF9625-4CF8-49B0-B0F9-90D4064E1EB2.thumb.jpeg.d29909afa150b21a079e8cdda0df4b34.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on our care list and I hope everyone came through the storm with little damage and safely.

Thanks for the heads up  on the wild mustard!  We are dogsitting the grand dog this weekend and I’ve seen this growing wild and in some lawns.    

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks for the heads up  on the wild mustard!  We are dogsitting the grand dog this weekend and I’ve seen this growing wild and in some lawns.    

I’m glad it helped someone 🙂 

I had a huge vet bill with both dogs sick (not complaining about the bill - I know they had to do stuff) and the dogs were on serious drugs for a week.  After my research I contacted my vet who confirmed.  If my pain helps someone else, it’s all good.

It’s been “imported” here.  It’s not native so it’s new.  And no one knew what it was until now.

Best to keep your dogs away from any yellow flowers.  It has several variations.

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m glad it helped someone 🙂 

I had a huge vet bill with both dogs sick (not complaining about the bill - I know they had to do stuff) and the dogs were on serious drugs for a week.  After my research I contacted my vet who confirmed.  If my pain helps someone else, it’s all good.

It’s been “imported” here.  It’s not native so it’s new.  And no one knew what it was until now.

Best to keep your dogs away from any yellow flowers.  It has several variations.

Well, after feeling sorry for myself because Monks Hood does not grow in my climate, I feel better that neither does Wild Mustard. Life has a way of balancing out - sometimes.

Jacqui, I was surprised to learn that I knew Monks Hood by a different name - Wolfbane. Very popular in New England gardens, and now I know why.

Thank you for sharing what you learn with us.

Thank you for the daily Rich.

Good morning and happy underwear day!  Well, funny thing is my DH just bought himself new underwear so I guess I should celebrate.  🙂 

Oh my, how I love oysters.  One of my favorite memories was on our 10 New England/Canada cruise 2009 on the Eurodam.  Boston was the port that day and it just so happened to be the day of Ted Kennedy's funeral.  It was pouring rain, I mean really pouring rain.  We had huge plans for the day but cancelling most of them and ended up sitting at a local bar ordering plate after plate of oysters and wine for lunch.  Wish I was there right now.

I decided not to work like a dog once I retired.

Seafood Salad sounds really good.  I wonder if tuna salad counts, but maybe I'll make shrimp salad instead.

Roy, take care and praying for speedy tooth extraction recovery tomorrow.  I'll be thinking of you as I have my regular dental cleaning appointment tomorrow that was supposed to have been in April which was rescheduled because of you know what.

Jacqui, what a detective you are!  So glad you found the culprit.

Have a great day everyone!  My timer is going off right now, meaning my dough for cinnamon rolls is almost ready, so bye for now.

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

While I would love to have Braised Lamb Shank like I did on the Prinsendam, dinner will be some things I won't be able to chew for a while after giving up a tooth tomorrow. 

Today's care list:

added to list.   Roy for good results with his extraction tomorrow. 

Roy

Thanks Rich and everyone. 

Absolutely wonderful news here at the Seasick Sailor home: NO CANCER on pancreas or esophagus!  

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

All is well and we are so happy we are breaking our 4 PM Happy Hour drinking rule to NOW!

@rafinmd please remove Allen from prayer list and please add YOU! Will be thinking of you tomorrow. God Bless.

Joy

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Absolutely wonderful news here at the Seasick Sailor home: NO CANCER on pancreas or esophagus!

GREAT news indeed. Thanks for letting us know.

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Best news ever!  So happy for you both.

43 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

All is well and we are so happy we are breaking our 4 PM Happy Hour drinking rule to NOW!

@rafinmd please remove Allen from prayer list and please add YOU! Will be thinking of you tomorrow. God Bless.

Joy

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I AM SOOOOOO HAPPY SISTER!!’

Oh Allen you are so lucky and GOD answers prayers!! 
God bless you both and no more worries!!

Enjoy that new life in Georgestown!!

TONITE CELEBRATIONS 🎉 ARE IN ORDER! BY PROCLOMATION I ORDER

EVERYONE GIVE 🥂 TOAST! Everyone deserves happiness and for me tonight I can forget and really be happy for a wonderful Miracle for Allen! You all have had enough!

👏👏❤️ To you all

Denise😊

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy

Hallelujah, God is all powerful.

13 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

EVERYONE GIVE 🥂 TOAST! Everyone deserves happiness and for me tonight I can forget and really be happy for a wonderful Miracle for Allen! You all have had enough!

👏👏❤️ To you all

Denise😊

Thank you Sis! I love you. Our sweet Allen has sure been through his share of medical issues. Our nieces say Allen has the life of a cat. 9 lives! 

Yes, God answers our prayers and hopes and dreams and I do not doubt Him. 

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Toasting done.  Yea Allen and Joy!!!!

Thank you summer slope. We are very blessed with friends like you.

Joy

21 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

👏👏❤️ To you all

Denise😊

0C3xrxKInvscTneixMJre0B4chX71aU_6PwPETNM8gD9p-YtsSJeYod3T1DaarWFsrgQWItKo948l520-BNbBjfQWkJpKMDpXbp-ZlPxyLx3jbwNpxsGSHFesU9YazaF84H3BsSVzDP8tn44xwZs306M2bsRu_24ZYB2T6Wc4GUf0FlZ2ZxNA7XWl9Ob_Q_Rfz0Z_FeUGc1fKBUKTmmnlGzn9sfGBe7R6HqCkqt0r98kZjqfcx6VSs9Pwp8vSZ-eQIvvrNR7eWK5EKg6zK2xg97EspRnAGHq0zGnoFx8-J-Km-8B_2I-eaF0zo5I1jLBo9KcMfMn-jc6jU5WHeLzHNgWRC0htaVHFKTSnM7kItE311x6TE7qUfcFvCeKkV6Zoumf6HwMlqMRXNpMDkVuC54uG7dPLHVPiUG0SyBW1H_cLFjYWqTyCgw2lnVTbkJRAq58w_Vqc92cbFU32r2WGY3H9POmyG04wOSyuSR48ejtg__1msDG5QdpmTKytHmd1TciAIAIhCKouZDxVOoY9799f2hFgaliHspZrqpfnq8Lx2R5EMj2AMazKtvfuaKhAmNkn8qcoWLU4-IPv9mA4McJ8ZXhAsJ566octhkmvb0zVNBqawswDBySVoQy1T741vh4jGnwlC-4L7Dhszmq2tFDiBZjLBVX7-tJ55l1eqiHxjwIbSXejIV20Svz=w943-h912-no?authuser=0

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

0C3xrxKInvscTneixMJre0B4chX71aU_6PwPETNM8gD9p-YtsSJeYod3T1DaarWFsrgQWItKo948l520-BNbBjfQWkJpKMDpXbp-ZlPxyLx3jbwNpxsGSHFesU9YazaF84H3BsSVzDP8tn44xwZs306M2bsRu_24ZYB2T6Wc4GUf0FlZ2ZxNA7XWl9Ob_Q_Rfz0Z_FeUGc1fKBUKTmmnlGzn9sfGBe7R6HqCkqt0r98kZjqfcx6VSs9Pwp8vSZ-eQIvvrNR7eWK5EKg6zK2xg97EspRnAGHq0zGnoFx8-J-Km-8B_2I-eaF0zo5I1jLBo9KcMfMn-jc6jU5WHeLzHNgWRC0htaVHFKTSnM7kItE311x6TE7qUfcFvCeKkV6Zoumf6HwMlqMRXNpMDkVuC54uG7dPLHVPiUG0SyBW1H_cLFjYWqTyCgw2lnVTbkJRAq58w_Vqc92cbFU32r2WGY3H9POmyG04wOSyuSR48ejtg__1msDG5QdpmTKytHmd1TciAIAIhCKouZDxVOoY9799f2hFgaliHspZrqpfnq8Lx2R5EMj2AMazKtvfuaKhAmNkn8qcoWLU4-IPv9mA4McJ8ZXhAsJ566octhkmvb0zVNBqawswDBySVoQy1T741vh4jGnwlC-4L7Dhszmq2tFDiBZjLBVX7-tJ55l1eqiHxjwIbSXejIV20Svz=w943-h912-no?authuser=0

A beautiful picture of both of you!!!

This is a keeper and you both are so happy!

Thank you Joy!

Denise❤️

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy

Yahoo!🎉

How absolutely wonderful, Joy & Allen! Hugs!

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Now this is a great pic! The only thing missing is a couple of wine glasses.❤️

Halleluiah, great cause for celebration; I'm toasting the two of you as we speak!

2 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

My timer is going off right now, meaning my dough for cinnamon rolls is almost ready, so bye for now.

Do you deliver ? ? ?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Great news!  Celebrate!