Carnival update

Bin man

56 minutes ago, tring said:

That is what Chris Whitty and Patrick Valance were saying all along, we either need a vaccine or a good treatment/avoidance of it.  There is no vaccine for malaria, although many attemps have been made over the years, but there are methods of dealing with it as we all know.  The fear of malaria is not something that stops us travelling.

I agree, no vaccine to prevent shark attacks, but we still go in the sea. Although we are staying in Dartmoor for the bank holiday we won't be going onto the moor at night. No vaccine to prevent Devil dog attacks. In fact come to think about it malaria, shark/dog attacks aren't viruses, so vaccine not possible.🤔

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My daughter in law is a store manager at Next, all her staff are wearing visors in store. 

Ah those visors thar are completely open to letting your breathe get out easily?

pointless

staff not wearing masks too is effectively risking customers health, i wonder how that one would play out in health and safety land.

Edited by Chrisdriving

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Thanks for that - I understand that staff don't have to wear face coverings. What I still don't understand is the rationale behind the rule.

As I understand it, the assumption is that every empolyer will undertake a formal health and safety risk assesment as to whether staff undertaking specific roles in specific circumstances should wear masks. In a shop for example, they may conclude that those circulating amongst customers should wear them, but those sitting permanently behind perspex screens need not. The problem of course is that some will not do so and will just leave it to what individual employees feel comfortable with.

• Like 2

My daughter wears a mask and a shield in the shop where she works. Not all of her colleagues do but my girl would rather be over cautious which I’m relieved about and she is often at the entrance welcoming people in rather than on a till behind a large screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I can’t think of many greater problems in my lifetime. 

I'm not a scientist but I imagine splitting the atom created major problems to solve. Although I'm not suggesting the outcome was particularly beneficial.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I'm not a scientist but I imagine splitting the atom created major problems to solve. Although I'm not suggesting the outcome was particularly beneficial.

I did say in my lifetime. Anyway, I would argue that the atom bomb only had a catastrophic impact in one part of the world. My parents are war babies, and they can’t recall anything close to this epidemic in their lifetime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisdriving said:

Ah those visors thar are completely open to letting your breathe get out easily?

pointless

staff not wearing masks too is effectively risking customers health, i wonder how that one would play out in health and safety land.

Mine.

IMG_20200806_161448.jpg

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Mine.

IMG_20200806_161448.jpg

That one looks very effective Graham. I understand what Chris means though. I've seen many visors that don't fit that close to the face,  are much further up towards the chin and only go round to the ears, not past them like yours.

Avril 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Also, https://www.carnivalcorp.com/Updates-on-Cruise-Operations now sets out fleetwide protocols being put into place.

Looking at the protocols I think it will put an end to disembarking and embarking on the same day, I can’t see that they can fully clean a ship in the current same day turnaround. Might mean disembark Saturday, embark Sunday & possible lopping a day off cruise lengths. Whatever happens I can see some of these costs involved being passed on as higher prices in future. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That one looks very effective Graham. I understand what Chris means though. I've seen many visors that don't fit that close to the face,  are much further up towards the chin and only go round to the ears, not past them like yours.

Avril 

Thanks.

Mine is hard plastic but I know what you mean some of the visor's don't look too safe.

45 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I did say in my lifetime. Anyway, I would argue that the atom bomb only had a catastrophic impact in one part of the world. My parents are war babies, and they can’t recall anything close to this epidemic in their lifetime. 

Covid is an important issue, but overplaying it won't make it go away. Other problems to solve, like global warming, cancer, global terrorism and lots more aren't exactly minor issues.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Looking at the protocols I think it will put an end to disembarking and embarking on the same day, I can’t see that they can fully clean a ship in the current same day turnaround. Might mean disembark Saturday, embark Sunday & possible lopping a day off cruise lengths. Whatever happens I can see some of these costs involved being passed on as higher prices in future. 

Excellent idea.

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Covid is an important issue, but overplaying it won't make it go away. Other problems to solve, like global warming, cancer, global terrorism and lots more aren't exactly minor issues.

Of course they are and global warming in particular affects every single one of us. But I still maintain that nothing has had this kind of impact on every single person in the world. WW2 didn’t have that much of an impact on rural farming communities around here. And underplaying the issue  won’t make it go away either. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Of course they are and global warming in particular affects every single one of us. But I still maintain that nothing has had this kind of impact on every single person in the world. WW2 didn’t have that much of an impact on rural farming communities around here. And underplaying the issue  won’t make it go away either. 

Nobody is underplaying it, but there are other problems. Mankind has the ability to tackle more than one problem at a time. Covid is one of many. Around half a million die from malaria every year and over 200 million every year catch it. Lack of money is the problem generally. 

Edited by zap99
Spelling
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

1914/1918 flu pandemic. Not that I was there of course. 😊

However, WW2 had a devastating effect on every single person in the world in one way or another. Not only local farmers but entire communities world wide. Not covid, I admit, but devastating nontheless.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Malaria is neither a virus nor a bacteria, so unlikely vaccination or inoculation would work any way, its a single celled parasite. The focus has been on the environment to reduce the chance of the mosquito that carries it becoming infected itself.

https://ada.com/conditions/malaria/

Not an easy thing to do, but work has been done towards trying to get a vaccine, including in a

research institute I once worked in.  I am well aware of what malaria is, I am a micro biologist.  My project was not the malaria one.

The link you gave mentions ongoing work towards various vaccines.  Perhap worth reading it.  Yes may still not be possible and same being said for covid, though there are hopes for that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

I agree, no vaccine to prevent shark attacks, but we still go in the sea. Although we are staying in Dartmoor for the bank holiday we won't be going onto the moor at night. No vaccine to prevent Devil dog attacks. In fact come to think about it malaria, shark/dog attacks aren't viruses, so vaccine not possible.🤔

I refer you to my previous answer in #92 above.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

My parents are war babies, and they can’t recall anything close to this epidemic in their lifetime. 

I can. Polio, Diphtheria, Measles, Scarlet fever,  Ebola.......

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But I think many of the families in Wales who lost love ones in WW2 may think otherwise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Nobody is underplaying it, but there are other problems. Mankind has the ability to tackle more than one problem at a time. Covid is one of many. Around half a million die from malaria every year and over 200 million every year catch it. Lack of money is the problem generally. 

I agree - of course there are other problems but malaria, for instance, is localised. 

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

1914/1918 flu pandemic. Not that I was there of course. 😊

However, WW2 had a devastating effect on every single person in the world in one way or another. Not only local farmers but entire communities world wide. Not covid, I admit, but devastating nontheless.

Avril 

Yes, devastating but my mother in law for instance, a teenager in rural Wales during the war, says that her life didn’t change that much. Male members of her family as farmers weren’t called up. They had plenty of food. No air raids and schools didn’t close. In fact she lived in a Thankful Village. 

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But I think many of the families in Wales who lost love ones in WW2 may think otherwise.

Of course. And families who have lost loved ones to Covid wouldn’t want it underplayed. 

Edited by Ardennais

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I agree - of course there are other problems but malaria, for instance, is localised. 

Yes very localised. According to WHO it is present in 92 countries and 3.4 billion people are at risk. Only 1.1 billion are at high risk. 🤔