Covid on Alaska cruise

bouhunter

24 minutes ago, Roz said:

Here in Middle TN, unless you present with serious symptoms (gasping for breath, nonstop dry cough, 105 degree temp, etc.), it takes 7-11 days to get results.  A lot can happen during that time period.

That makes the test almost useless.

19 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

That makes the test almost useless.

I know.  😷  And contrary to what some have posted on CC, the tests we have here are very painful, which keeps people from having them done even if they know they've been exposed.  There is a wide variation across the country as far as the availability of the test, type of test, and time to get results.

Edited by Roz

3 hours ago, Roz said:

I know.  😷  And contrary to what some have posted on CC, the tests we have here are very painful, which keeps people from having them done even if they know they've been exposed.  There is a wide variation across the country as far as the availability of the test, type of test, and time to get results.

Wow, there sure is a wide variation.  I had mild symptoms, (low fever, flu-like symptoms) and was tested just to be sure.  Fully expecting to have to do the painful test, I was SO relieved that my clinic offers the self-swab (under direction of course).  Not at all painful.  I did it in the clinic drive-thru and had results back in about 18 hours.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

??  Here in the Seattle area test results are back within 24 hours.  Not where you live?

Two friends in Dallas took COVID tests recently.  One took 7 days to get results and the other 6 days.  I've heard reports of up to 27 days even.  

12 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

??  Here in the Seattle area test results are back within 24 hours.  Not where you live?

It depends on the lab that handles the sample.  Some results have taken a week.  Testing can be done by the state, the county, or private labs.  Some tests seem to be sent out of state for processing. 

13 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Here an acquaintance had the test done. It was a 7 day wait for results. I saw a demonstration months ago on TV of a compact test machine. It took 15 minutes for results. I wonder what happened to that?  

1 hour ago, bbro said:

Two friends in Dallas took COVID tests recently.  One took 7 days to get results and the other 6 days.  I've heard reports of up to 27 days even.  

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

It depends on the lab that handles the sample.  Some results have taken a week.  Testing can be done by the state, the county, or private labs.  Some tests seem to be sent out of state for processing. 

20 minutes ago, Hobcat said:

Here an acquaintance had the test done. It was a 7 day wait for results. I saw a demonstration months ago on TV of a compact test machine. It took 15 minutes for results. I wonder what happened to that?  

I didn't realize how lucky I am to live where I do.  I know previously a friend of my daughter's said her results took 2 weeks, but that was awhile back.

1 hour ago, bbro said:

Did a test yesterday in Nairobi, Kenya.

results were ready within 24 hours. 

Today, I did a so-called Saliva test in Hong Kong. Painless, and without assistance of medical personnel. i do not know the accuracy however.

Quarantined in Hong Kong by the way. Leave the room and get arrested. We crew , both flight and maritime, feel being treated like criminals. ( all together in same hotel)

• Like 1

I posted this on the RCL boards and someone said well maybe it's a "false positive test".

Even if it was, that's no better news for cruising if a false positive cancels the cruise and puts everyone in quarantine.....

whoever thinks a false positive has their head in the sand

Sent from my iPad using Forums

18 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

A negative test three or five days before a trip does not really mean much.  The person may have already been exposed, but not yet positive, or may be exposed after the test.  The person may have been out and about a lot  before the trip getting ready for the trip.  Even if the person did not do much between the day of the test and the day of departure, they could easily be exposed getting to/from the airport, at the airport, or on the flight.

Right, all a negative test shows is that you don't have the virus at detectable levels at the time of the test. I suppose this virus has an incubation period so you could become positive and infectious within a short time of the test, even though you tested negative at that point in time. Testing is better at exposing those who currently have the virus versus those that don't have it as you can be in the early stages of infection. 

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Several weeks ago I had a drive through test done on a Thursday afternoon and received a call with the results (negative) on the following Tuesday morning. I was told at the time of the test if would be 3-5 days for results.  Don't know if the labs worked on the weekend or not. If not, then results where reported to me in 2-3 business days or 4-5 calendar days. Since the tests where done Thursday afternoon, I figure the lab did not get started on them until Friday. Which is a good question, what kind of hours are the labs processing these test working (24/7, 12/5, etc.)?

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Today, I did a so-called Saliva test in Hong Kong. Painless, and without assistance of medical personnel. i do not know the accuracy however.

Quarantined in Hong Kong by the way. Leave the room and get arrested. We crew , both flight and maritime, feel being treated like criminals. ( all together in same hotel)

Did you get the wrist bracelet tracking unit that they put on people until their test results come back?

What gets me is the people that take the test because they think that they might be exposed but do activities as if they are not exposed until they actually get a positive test result.

One case had a person get a test, then had a dinner party while waiting for the results.  Then had to tell all of his friends when it came back positive.

Bottom line test or not, waiting for results or not, if you think there is a chance that you might be infected act as if you are, until it is proven that you are not.

• Like 3

Just now, Despegue said:

No, but you get a QR code.

A friend of mine returned home there.  When he arrived they took him to an area everyone socially distant, took them to be tested. Attached a bracelet tracking device as well as QR code. Put him in a quarantine facility.  Then the next day he got the test results.  He was then able to go home and self isolate for 14 days.  At the end of that period they took off the tracking device.

22 hours ago, kazu said:

Kind of sad that with all the resources available in the U.S. that no strategic direction has been placed on testing (with quick results) and contact tracing.

I’m not saying quick results wouldn’t have solved the problem but it sure would have been helpful.

My opinion:  until a test is developed that will provide quick, accurate results, we are not going to safely find a way out of this mess. 

If anyone has been viewing the Port Web Cam for Juneau, you may have noticed a Black Flag flying from the mast of the Wilderness Adventurer.  Since the crew are quarantined on board, I wondered why the ship was not flying the Q (Yellow) Flag.  Did a bit of research and learned that a Black Flag is sometimes used to symbolize disease aboard a ship.  Using a Yellow Flag does have a longer historical  precedent, however.  

We have some posters on CC that have professional experience sailing the seven seas.  I wonder if they might offer an explanation as to why the Wilderness Adventurer's Master chose to hoist the Black Flag and not the Q Flag.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My opinion:  until a test is developed that will provide quick, accurate results, we are not going to safely find a way out of this mess. 

I’ve been pretty impressed with our testing here.  A friend of mine was concerned and when she called 811, they agreed she should be tested.  She called Thursday evening and had an appointment on Friday morning.  She had the results on Saturday.

Instantaneous would be nice but this sure was fast enough to enable contact, contain and test.  (We’ve been pretty big on that up here).

I was pretty impressed when she told me.

• Like 1

In B.C. there is a very strong focus on contact tracing.  The success of this is dependant on quick test results...our friend was tested last week after experiencing a mild lingering cough and received results in 24 hours (negative result).

I am so thankful for the guidance and regulations our Public Health Officer has given us.  She is firm in her reliance on science and has given  us the confidence to follow her leadership and keep our numbers low.

4 hours ago, Despegue said:

No tracking device for crew, but guards (🙄😒) patrolling the hotel... like I said, prison really, especially as the food is abysmal in this hotel haha! Oh well, at least I still have a job.

Just don't say anything negative.

6 hours ago, Despegue said:

Well, they might have a point..

It very much depends on your circumstances and where you are tested. Both my husband and mother (WI & IL) had tests done within 24 hours of their scheduled operations for their June surgeries. Both were back by the end of the day.

When my husband had his first pre-op test back in March he was told he would get notice of a positive result within 3 days negative results would be up to a week before notification. That turned out to be 10 days before he was told about his negative result.

I think that asymptomatic people's results are not prioritized at the same level of symptomatic and pre-op patients.

• Like 1