If not from the US. Where?

HalfHand

There are several prevailing theories in the original source of the Spanish Flu. Early cases were found on a US Army Base in Kansas, Sing Sing prison in New York, and an RAF Base in England.

The real war (WWI) prevented many countries from being honest about the challenges and cases they had. 100 years later, it appears that the Cold War prevented transparency in China.

The USA was unprepared for the pandemic in 1918. Many mistakes were made. They learned the hard way - with many needless deaths - how to protect the populace.

In 2019, the exact same mistakes were made - and continue to be made - in the USA. The Americans learned nothing from the 1918 pandemic, and appear to be learning nothing this time as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Donald said:

There are several prevailing theories in the original source of the Spanish Flu. Early cases were found on a US Army Base in Kansas, Sing Sing prison in New York, and an RAF Base in England.

The real war (WWI) prevented many countries from being honest about the challenges and cases they had. 100 years later, it appears that the Cold War prevented transparency in China.

The USA was unprepared for the pandemic in 1918. Many mistakes were made. They learned the hard way - with many needless deaths - how to protect the populace.

In 2019, the exact same mistakes were made - and continue to be made - in the USA. The Americans learned nothing from the 1918 pandemic, and appear to be learning nothing this time as well.

For those that think that COVID-19 will simply go away they might want to consider that the Spanish Flu was simply H1N1 which still occasionally ravages the world (despite the fact we have a vaccine).  Experts have warned that COVID is almost a perfect virus (in terms of infection humans) and will likely be with us forever.  Another unfortunate issue with COVID is that it does not seem to be affected by summer (many viruses wane in hot weather) so it is easy to picture COVID simply moving around the world..perhaps with ups and downs similar to a sine wave.

Hank 

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oh man, you got that right.  That poster is getting kind of trollish.  

That is why I appreciate the "ignore" function on Cruise Critic. You can add trolls and other undesirables to your list and will no longer see their posts. The poster you mention was added to my list yesterday ... problem solved. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

That is why I appreciate the "ignore" function on Cruise Critic. You can add trolls and other undesirables to your list and will no longer see their posts. The poster you mention was added to my list yesterday ... problem solved. 😎

Unfortunately, if somebody quotes the troll in an ill-advised response (often called taking the bait) we all suffer the probably unintended consequences.....

On 8/14/2020 at 2:59 PM, DaveSJ711 said:

I've skiied at Whistler many times.  Great place, though it's gone high-money resort in the last few years.

Have you been to Tofino on the Vancouver Island coast?  That's another wonderful place, especially in the winter when the storms roll in off the Pacific. 

LOL what ski resort isn't high money?   

Sadly we have had Whistler booked now twice for summer ( great downhill mountain biking, decent hiking/rafting too ), twice canceled and have Labor day booked, but won't be surprised the border stays closed to US, I'd keep us out too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

LOL what ski resort isn't high money?   

Sadly we have had Whistler booked now twice for summer ( great downhill mountain biking, decent hiking/rafting too ), twice canceled and have Labor day booked, but won't be surprised the border stays closed to US, I'd keep us out too. 

So would I, sadly.

I'm old enough to remember when Whistler was a mid-level ski area with great deals.  Maybe that means I'm just too damn old.

Edited by DaveSJ711

16 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

So would I, sadly.

I'm old enough to remember when Whistler was a mid-level ski area with great deals.  Maybe that means I'm just too damn old.

Interestingly enough, I remember those days as well when it was called Garibaldi Whistler Mountain.