New item on my account under credits

DaveOKC

I just saw this for the first time.  Has anyone else seen this and/or know what it means??

Onboard Credits Placeholder Text

View your status or view the history of any use cruise credits. For more information on cruise credits lease view our Terms & Conditioning.

AVAILABLE
  • Thanks 2

That is the third item in your profile. The first is the amount of FCC for bookings to use. The second is future cruise deposits (if you booked a cruise with a deposit and it was canceled and that deposit was credited for a future cruise). The third would assume to be any future onboard credits given by HAL for cancelled cruises. Some cruises that were cancelled (before sailing) passengers are offered up to $250/pp ($500 cabin) onboard credits on a new cruise (in addition to promotional items). 

5 hours ago, REOVA said:

That is the third item in your profile. The first is the amount of FCC for bookings to use. The second is future cruise deposits (if you booked a cruise with a deposit and it was canceled and that deposit was credited for a future cruise). The third would assume to be any future onboard credits given by HAL for cancelled cruises. Some cruises that were cancelled (before sailing) passengers are offered up to $250/pp ($500 cabin) onboard credits on a new cruise (in addition to promotional items). 

Correct!  The Third "Onboard Credit Placeholder Text" in my Account is showing the amount of OBC  that was offered with the FCC when my April cruise was cancelled.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mandalay1903 said:

Looks to me like HAL is continuing some long-needed improvements to this section of the site. But this third section with "Placeholder Text" clearly shouldn't be user-facing yet.

I agree - looks like an element that was inserted for development test wasn't removed (or configured to suppress it on the public site) when the page was released for public use.

• Like 1

To be honest, this thing looks very weird. I always wondered why cant they just like send you a message or leave a notification of some kind explaining the message. Every time I get such a message or see some weird item on my account it drives me crazy, cause I have no idea how to react 

1 hour ago, What was that? said:

I agree - looks like an element that was inserted for development test wasn't removed (or configured to suppress it on the public site) when the page was released for public use.

I would have thought that they would have a test environment for development of the website and not be testing within the live environment.  But what do I know???

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I would have thought that they would have a test environment for development of the website and not be testing within the live environment.  But what do I know???

They may very well have a test environment. HAL is a really big company so they should have one. On my websites I do NOT have a test environment because my sites are small, non-commercial, and supported by a staff of one (me).

But I believe this may be a symptom of incomplete release testing. Remember that everything that has to be done has a co$t associated with it, so the release test procedure may not have exercised that feature completely. After all, it depends on the content of a member's account and HAL would have to test for behavior when there are on-board credits (obviously), but also for when there are none. Testing is HARD!

On the other hand, a friend who I worked with (yes, in software) sincerely believed that users were a troublesome, if occasionally useful, test load. I was astonished, to say the least...

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I always wondered why cant they just like send you a message or leave a notification of some kind explaining the message.

That message wasn't meant to be seen by users. It is a reminder to the developers that an area is incomplete.

On 8/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, catl331 said:

That message wasn't meant to be seen by users. It is a reminder to the developers that an area is incomplete.

It's "placeholder" because the marketing department didn't send over the final approved text for that slot before it went live. Or more likely someone forgot they were suppose to wait for it before releasing to production.

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Text block has been updated.  Scott. 

image.png.6ea7f743b573694ebe05bcc113021d35.png

Maybe they will take the next step and actually input the correct information.  Although I have both FCC and FCD it is only showing the FCD on the updated page.

I wonder.  When our spring cruise was cancelled by HAL, we eventually received our FCC of 125%; we got an email saying it was available.  We applied it towards another cruise next year, on Rotterdam, which was also cancelled.  (July 15 - it was cancelled when Rottie was sold).  FCDs have re-appeared on our Onboard Credits, but that previous FCC seems to have disappeared, and the doubled FCD amount...

Where's that night auditor when you need him?

• Like 1

My account reads similar to the one above, except my data is complete and accurate. The wording in Onboard Credits/Available is still incorrect, though. They may intend for it to state "You do not have any currently available Onboard Credits". However, most OBCs are tied to a particular booked cruise (as are mine) so to display them in this section they'd have to show them within each booked cruise. They may use this for unassigned onboard credit purchased as a cruise planner item.

I've found that when you are notified of a cancelled cruise and use the Cancellation Preferences form to request FCCs, the FCCs will be delivered much more quickly. At least that was the case for me for the cruises cancelled after selling the four ships.

Edited by Mandalay1903