Diamond Princess to End Japan, Asia Cruises in 2021

I know there are a few Diamond Princess fans in here 🙂 , so I thought you might be interested in this.

Diamond Princess to End Japan, Asia Cruises in Fall 2021 in Favor of New Destination

August 06, 2020

(5:40 p.m. EDT) -- Princess Cruises has announced it will cancel all sailings aboard the 2,670-passenger Diamond Princess throughout Japan and Asia between October 2021 and April 2022, in favor of redeploying the ship to a new destination.
Princess announced the ship will instead set sail for a maiden season in another part of the world, though the company did not specify where that would be. The inclusion of the word "maiden" implies a cruising region not normally visited by the ship, which has spent most of its service career in Asia and Alaska.....
Read more....

After what happened with the Diamond Princess in Asia with Covid, i am not supervised Princess has moved the Diamond Princess to a new market!

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, not surprising. I did like that ship though, we did a repositioning cruise on her a couple of years ago, Sydney to Yokohama.

The Med, the Baltics or the Caribbean I guess.

We really like the Diamond too Julie. We did a repositioning cruise on her as well - Sydney to Singapore. 

Leigh

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, not surprising. I did like that ship though, we did a repositioning cruise on her a couple of years ago, Sydney to Yokohama.

The Med, the Baltics or the Caribbean I guess.

Agree, big market.

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

A better option would be to remove the name.

Yes, rename Diamond and Ruby. Might improve the Princess image. I suggest Platinum Princess and Silver Princess. What is the prize? Free cruise to no where?

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

We spent 35 nights on her, loved every minute, pity she is off, but not really surprised, a wonder they don’t rename her.

Indeed been on Diamond and sister Sapphire, my favourite Princess ships.

I'm thinking that Princess is gambling that that market will support a larger vessel.

Or perhaps a smaller one? I thought that the Diamond Princess had certain features to appeal to the Asian market. She was built in Japan.

I'm not keen on renaming ships, unless they are changing lines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm thinking that Princess is gambling that that market will support a larger vessel.

Or perhaps a smaller one? I thought that the Diamond Princess had certain features to appeal to the Asian market. She was built in Japan.

Send her, instead of Golden, to P&O Australia and keep the Golden with Princess down under. She can then take on the Pacific Adventure name. We get all the hand me down ships already in OZ.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Built by Mitsubishi Industries in Japan, like her sister, Sapphire.

She has had one name change at construction

wiki

Construction and career

The ship was originally intended to be christened Sapphire Princess. However, construction of another ship – the one intended to be Diamond Princess(currently sailing as Sapphire Princess) – was delayed when fire swept through her decks during construction. Because completion of the damaged ship would be delayed for some time, her sister ship, which was also under construction, was renamed Diamond Princess. The name swap helped keep the delivery of Diamond Princess on time.[6]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Indeed been on Diamond and sister Sapphire, my favourite Princess ships.

Not my favourite (that title is held by the delightful Pacific Princess) but I wouldn’t hesitate to book her again, can’t say the same for Emerald, and wasn’t in love with Majestic.

Sea Princess is my favourite so far. I'm booked on Pacific Princess next April but who knows it that will happen. Diamond is my second favourite, just edging out Sun.

I didn't like Ruby. Too crowded.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

23 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Not my favourite (that title is held by the delightful Pacific Princess) but I wouldn’t hesitate to book her again, can’t say the same for Emerald, and wasn’t in love with Majestic.

I loved the delightful Ocean Princess. 

29 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I loved the delightful Ocean Princess. 

Never got on her, but as they were both ex R class and effectively twins I expect I would have loved her, a friend was seriously tempted to buy her when Princess sold her, it never came off unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Rassa said:

Wonder if Diamond (new name or not) will be sent to Australia.   Asians are superstitious.

Unlikely, Princess says "redeploying the ship to a new destination." so she will be going to somewhere where she has never visited before.

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We spent 35 nights on her, loved every minute, pity she is off, but not really surprised, a wonder they don’t rename her.

Some sailors do say that renaming ships is bad luck, and the Diamond Princess has all ready been renamed, see Kiwi Kruzer post.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

2 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Some sailors do say that renaming ships is bad luck, and the Diamond Princess has all ready been renamed, see Kiwi Kruzer post.

Arcadia and Queen Victoria have a similar story, ask dr google.

3 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Didn’t stop Princess renaming other ships ie Tahitian to Ocean, and everytime a ship changes companies the name changes.

3 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Didn’t stop Princess renaming other ships ie Tahitian to Ocean, and everytime a ship changes companies the name changes.

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Nor the old HAL and Princess ships changing their names on transfer to P&O Australia.

• Like 1