Dining Help needed

MooNGaTe27

This will be my 1st time on NCL cruise line ,it will be on the Escape & we have a free Specialty Dining Package where they charged the gratuity for that package already.

My question is if I go to Cagneys & my wife gets the Filet Mignon & I get the Porterhouse will I be charged anything extra .I see its an A la cart so does that mean they have 2 menu's when you go .1 for the free package & one where you pick from an A la cart menu ?

You select what you want.  With the dining package you should be able to get as many apps and desserts as you want, with one entree.  Unless they change it post-COVID.  You select from the same menu as everyone else, there is no different menu for the dining package but there MAY be an upcharge listed for certain items.

NCL changes menus like the seasons. Once they begin sailing, we will have to see what the latest round of changes bring. Previously, there was an upcharge for certain items, then a few months later the upcharge was removed, only to be reinstated a few after that. The crew reported that they rarely know of changes in advance and just use whatever some bean counter in Miami tells them to use. Stay tuned.

2 hours ago, MooNGaTe27 said:

This will be my 1st time on NCL cruise line ,it will be on the Escape & we have a free Specialty Dining Package where they charged the gratuity for that package already.

My question is if I go to Cagneys & my wife gets the Filet Mignon & I get the Porterhouse will I be charged anything extra .I see its an A la cart so does that mean they have 2 menu's when you go .1 for the free package & one where you pick from an A la cart menu ?

You select multiple appetizers, one entree, and desserts from the menu. [Almost] all items are included in the dining package. Any items not fully covered will be noted on the menu (with a upcharge for dining package members). Everything else is fully covered by the package. On the menu below (from November 2019), the only items not fully covered were the tiger prawn appetizer and the lobster dinner. Everything else was included. 

NCL usually updates their menu once a year and it usually coincides with the launch of a new ship. 

At some restaurants, waiters will tell you that you are limited to one appetizer and one dessert (which is inconsistent with the dining plan terms and conditions). We just order what we want and have never been charged (and we [used to] sail NCL 4-5 times a year). 

image.thumb.png.2357f66b9a3aa6728937494d9ef77241.png

image.thumb.png.e330202c6f2f64c7eebe2f851486ae78.png

you can both order what you wish if you have the dining package. although they no longer offerit, we were in cagneys some years back and there was an additional charge to add a lobster tail to my wife's dinner. turns out this was a great idea. it was the last night of the cruise, she got 2 huge huge tails that could have easily been a meal for 2 and w didntget charged. we have never been charged anything extra usingthe dinner package.

enjoy your trip and bon voyage

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You select multiple appetizers, one entree, and desserts from the menu. [Almost] all items are included in the dining package. Any items not fully covered will be noted on the menu (with a upcharge for dining package members). Everything else is fully covered by the package. On the menu below (from November 2019), the only items not fully covered were the tiger prawn appetizer and the lobster dinner. Everything else was included. 

NCL usually updates their menu once a year and it usually coincides with the launch of a new ship. 

At some restaurants, waiters will tell you that you are limited to one appetizer and one dessert (which is inconsistent with the dining plan terms and conditions). We just order what we want and have never been charged (and we [used to] sail NCL 4-5 times a year). 

image.thumb.png.2357f66b9a3aa6728937494d9ef77241.png

image.thumb.png.e330202c6f2f64c7eebe2f851486ae78.png

It's random when the menu changes.    Nothing to do with a new ship?????     I've sailed every month for the last 3 years prior to  3/20  and there were several adjustments made in the specialty menus.    Never a clean sweep "once a year"   either.   

We sailed the Escape in Feb. 2020 and dined at Cagney's.  I remember 3 things having a $5 "upcharge" from your free meal, the menu above seems to match (look at the items that say $5 dinning package supplement).  Also notice they are all seafood.  

When I sailed the Bliss in April last year the Surf & Turf was the Filet and a skewer of shrimp, with no additional charge.  On the Bliss in October it was the filet and shrimp WITH an upcharge.