Threw in the towel to the chair hogs!

BarnCat1

Sadly, I gave in and canceled the 4 cruises that I had booked for 2021 and 2022.

With all the uncertainty going on, I’ll just hold off until there is a very effective vaccine and I can cruise like I used to without the additional rules and fear factors built in. Also allowing time for the ships to sail again, crews to get back to their normal routines and ports to open and welcome us back safely.

My personal feelings are that there is no safe way to combine cruising with COVID19. Of course, I know you can get sick on any cruise, but trying to control COVID 19 without a vaccine is different from anything we have experienced to date.

Yesterday was a sad day for me to call NCL but they were very understanding. They probably have been flooded with these type of calls everyday.

Now to wait for the refunds, which were only the deposit amounts.

Can’t wait to rebook again one day, as this is my favorite type of vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BarnCat1 said:

Sadly, I gave in and canceled the 4 cruises that I had booked for 2021 and 2022.

With all the uncertainty going on, I’ll just hold off until there is a very effective vaccine and I can cruise like I used to without the additional rules and fear factors built in. Also allowing time for the ships to sail again, crews to get back to their normal routines and ports to open and welcome us back safely.

My personal feelings are that there is no safe way to combine cruising with COVID19. Of course, I know you can get sick on any cruise, but trying to control COVID 19 without a vaccine is different from anything we have experienced to date.

Fauci says that a vaccine that is 50% effective maybe all we can count on.

What's plan B?

• Like 1

What's plan B?

Plan B for me is the great memories of prior cruising and enjoy other vacation that aren’t as contained as a cruise ship. Most likely lots more road trips for awhile. Airline travel maybe 2022. Time will tell.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If indeed that will be true...also consider..that many people say they will not take advantage of the vaccine..(just like so many refuse flu and other vaccines)...

Considering all this....I think I will put cruising off till  least till 2022. Time will tell.....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jaja said:

If indeed that will be true...also consider..that many people say they will not take advantage of the vaccine..(just like so many refuse flu and other vaccines)...

Considering all this....I think I will put cruising off till  least till 2022. Time will tell.....

You're probably right.    They can do as they wish, but for me, I'll be vaccinated to prevent me getting it.  If there is an effective vaccine that will do that, then they can all get as sick as they wish as long as they don't infect me.  .   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jaja said:

Refusing to take the vaccine can easily be countered by refusing to allow 'refusers' to board the ship.

Even though I'm sceptical of the successful development of a vaccine, I'm truly amazed at the backlash vaccine development.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

What's plan B?

Plan B:

everyone wear blue hazmat suits with portable oxygen rebreathers with hepa filters.

:)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was on the next to the last NCL sailings.  I don't think cruising will ever be like that again.....so care free.   Part of what made cruising so appealing to me was the freedom to do anything at anytime.  Post Covid cruising IMHO that will never be the same.  They will limit people on the pool deck, restaurants, entertainment areas, etc.  I see eating in the cabin as a very popular option for many.  It makes me sad but we will get through this.  Cruising will resume someday in some form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Refusing to take the vaccine can easily be countered by refusing to allow 'refusers' to board the ship.

Even though I'm sceptical of the successful development of a vaccine, I'm truly amazed at the backlash vaccine development.

Yes--!!!  So I guess we will all have to carry our "papers" (vaccine proof, doctor's note of fitness, etc) .😷😟

Though, I just thought of another possible glitch....there will never be a guarantee that people at   any visited port will have had the vaccine. Makes excursions ,etc very problematic.💉

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Plan C , we treat CV19 like the flu and we get on with our lives.

Covid-19.

Is.

Not.

An.

Influenza.

Virus.

How hard is this for people to comprehend? Alas, people already treat it like the flu across the US. Which is why death and infection rates are totally out of control. Can't fix stupid.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Covid-19.

Is.

Not.

An.

Influenza.

Virus.

How hard is this for people to comprehend? Alas, people already treat it like the flu across the US. Which is why death and infection rates are totally out of control. Can't fix stupid.

Who said CV19 was an influenza virus?

I said 'treat it like the flu' which is different from saying it is the flu.

The alternatives may be treating CV19 like the flu or living in a mask.

Pretty clear that most will choose the first.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Plan C , we treat CV19 like the flu and we get on with our lives.

I think it is going to come down to Plan C.  I don't really believe there will be a vaccine and even if they come up with one the distribution rate and refusal rate will have a huge impact on effectiveness.  I'm thinking sooner or later we will each be exposed to the virus over the next year or so and will then deal with the very variable individual results.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Covid-19.

Is.

Not.

An.

Influenza.

Virus.

It doesn't really matter what it is or is not.  Sooner or later it is going to have to come down to herd immunity.  Like plumbers who see only pipes and electricians who see only wires, doctors may see things only in medical terms.  But in practical terms we also have to consider all the small (and not so small) businesses being destroyed along with long term damage to the economy.  Most people simply won't live with permanent social distancing and masks. I say this only as a matter of practicality.  I am actually in a high risk group but I'm fairly introverted and could easily stay home with a good book indefinitely myself.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jaja said:

Yes--!!!  So I guess we will all have to carry our "papers" (vaccine proof, doctor's note of fitness, etc) .😷😟

Though, I just thought of another possible glitch....there will never be a guarantee that people at   any visited port will have had the vaccine. Makes excursions ,etc very problematic.💉

Bingo!! . We may vaccinated but is everyone we come in contact with during our vacation vaccinated?  Will we be stuck in our cabins?  In another country?  Out to sea waiting to dock somewhere again.  There's too many "what ifs" 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yeah, and Fauci has always been right during this pandemic (not). "Don't wear a mask"..."Wear a mask".

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I said 'treat it like the flu'

I agree with a caveat. Treat it like the flu when there is also a vaccine. I'm being more optimistic on development and distribution of an effective vaccine (effectiveness the same as or even better than the flu vaccine). If and when this will happen is up for debate but I have faith in Operation Warp Speed.

I won't cruise again post-Covid without a vaccine. All the proposed on board measures being discussed (mask wearing, social distancing, etc) would definitely ruin the cruise experience for me. Not worth it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Yeah, and Fauci has always been right during this pandemic (not). "Don't wear a mask"..."Wear a mask".

I agree with a caveat. Treat it like the flu when there is also a vaccine. I'm being more optimistic on development and distribution of an effective vaccine (effectiveness the same as or even better than the flu vaccine). If and when this will happen is up for debate but I have faith in Operation Warp Speed.

I won't cruise again post-Covid without a vaccine. All the proposed on board measures being discussed (mask wearing, social distancing, etc) would definitely ruin the cruise experience for me. Not worth it.

I'm not predicting whether there will or will not be a vaccine.  I'm just asking about what happens if there isn't.

When one examines the mortality tables as a function of age, one must wonder how long we can maintain the current protocols?

I saw a poll a few days ago where the respondents thought that CV had killed 9% of the American population.  One wonders if they will continue with these protocols when they discover that the death toll from CV isn't 28,000,000 but more like 160,000?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Mask and social distancing aren't working anyway. At least not the 6 foot rule which came out in 1934.

• Thanks 1