Threw in the towel to the chair hogs!

BarnCat1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Refusing to take the vaccine can easily be countered by refusing to allow 'refusers' to board the ship.

Even though I'm sceptical of the successful development of a vaccine, I'm truly amazed at the backlash vaccine development.

There will be a new business sprouting, the "I got the vaccine" papers, which will be fake.  Somebody gonna make a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

There will be a new business sprouting, the "I got the vaccine" papers, which will be fake.  Somebody gonna make a lot of money.

Not somebody.  We seized 20,000 fake driver's license from China just a few days ago.  

• Like 2

What you don't want, I guarantee, is a ventilator breathing tube stuck down you throat.  I'll rank that, for me anyhow, high on the list of the absolutely worst things that's ever happened to me.  Total silent panic because you can't swallow, can't breath on your own, can't talk, just lie there in panic and stare.  So...with that in mind, at my age and with the much higher risk of that possibly happening to me again, I'm not going to pretend this is just flu.  Flu is a lot of discomfort, with a slight potential of maybe worse.  This is like a big chance it can kill me, but only after the tube is stuck down my throat and I lie there like a zombie for a few days first.  That's my opinion.   Your mileage may vary.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Who said CV19 was an influenza virus?
I said 'treat it like the flu' which is different from saying it is the flu.

The alternatives may be treating CV19 like the flu or living in a mask.
Pretty clear that most will choose the first.

Masks are a good way to prevent the spread of the flu, as well as any number of corona viruses 🦠 (like the common cold). Also, staying distant from potentially infected people. Wow, that sounds like the same strategy [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Fauci says that a vaccine that is 50% effective maybe all we can count on.

What's plan B?

Replace Fauci!  He has been wrong on so much already, why bother listening to his pontifications?

• Like 8

Yes--!!!  So I guess we will all have to carry our "papers" (vaccine proof, doctor's note of fitness, etc) .[emoji40][emoji45]
Though, I just thought of another possible glitch....there will never be a guarantee that people at   any visited port will have had the vaccine. Makes excursions ,etc very problematic.[emoji382]

But, if you’ve had the vaccine, why would that matter?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BonnieJeanne said:

But, if you’ve had the vaccine, why would that matter?

Because as some  experts say. ... so far....the vaccine is not expected to be  100% effective, with  Dr. Fauci  saying:

"(Reuters) - An approved coronavirus vaccine could end up being effective only 50-60% of the time, meaning public health measures will still be needed to keep the pandemic under control, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious diseases expert, said on Friday."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BonnieJeanne said:

Masks are a good way to prevent the spread of the flu, as well as any number of corona viruses 🦠 (like the common cold). Also, staying distant from potentially infected people. Wow, that sounds like the same strategy emoji4.png

Oh, great.  We started out wearing masks and shutting down the economy for just two weeks to flatten the curve.  Now we are to wear masks and shutdown the economy until their is a vaccine for the common cold?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, great.  We started out wearing masks and shutting down the economy for just two weeks to flatten the curve.  Now we are to wear masks and shutdown the economy until their is a vaccine for the common cold?

I’m sorry. I was unclear. I was actually agreeing with you that it is not the flu, but, we should treat it like the flu... I bought my masks 3 years ago....because the flu was going around. Good for me because they were cheaper then! The common cold (as I have been told, but, maybe I am misinformed), is a version of a corona virus so spreads kind of the same way? I’m not by any means saying we should wear masks over a cold. Just agreeing with you that controlling a flu outbreak or a corona outbreak are similar even though the viruses are different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Mask and social distancing aren't working anyway. At least not the 6 foot rule which came out in 1934.

Unfortunately, it's just the opposite. Not wearing a mask and not social distancing are what's not working. Look at those house parties, pool parties, lake/boat gatherings even hallways in schools packed - no masks and no social distancing resulting in spikes of positive Covid cases.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I am actually in a high risk group but I'm fairly introverted and could easily stay home with a good book indefinitely myself.

Do you have any good book recommendations ? I've just about finished my list for 2020 since being quarantined. 

I have no issue taking vaccines, so much so I am a Guinea pig (hog?) for the Oxford vaccine Phase III human trials, I had my shot two months ago. I just wish I had known I had to self administered a covid swab test kit weekly for a whole year.... it's nasty. 

I have no idea if I was given the covid vaccine or the meningitis vaccine placebo (50/50) but the trial is doing really well and I am hopeful we will soon have a vaccine by year end.

The Oxford team are so confident it will be a success they started production a long time ago and have been stockpiling so it's ready to go once approved.

The government here have ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine (with first 30 million to be available from September if approved) and safety net of an additional 90 million doses from Pfizer, 60 million GSK and 40 million from Valneva.

• Like 7

22 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Fauci says that a vaccine that is 50% effective maybe all we can count on.

What's plan B?

Plan B is get your ass outside and get back to normal. I have to a laugh at the people who think their is going to be a miracle vaccine. 50% is being very optimistic.......I hope I'm wrong. Just look at the flu vaccines, typical they work for about 20%-30%. A few years ago it hit 50% with children under 18. Wear a mask, wash your hands......like we should have to tell people that and social distance when you can. 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Don’t worry the chair hogs will still be around when cruising resumes.

Actually chair hogging can be fixed.  Put a solar powered RFID chip on every chair.  Reserve it with your app/phone/wrist band.  Light turns red.  If you run to your cabin for a forgotten book, you are fine.  if you walk away from the pool deck for say four hours, (LOL), your reservation expires- the light turns green.  Your stuff goes to the return table.  

3 minutes ago, ew101 said:

Actually chair hogging can be fixed.  Put a solar powered RFID chip on every chair.  Reserve it with your app/phone/wrist band.  Light turns red.  If you run to your cabin for a forgotten book, you are fine.  if you walk away from the pool deck for say four hours, (LOL), your reservation expires- the light turns green.  Your stuff goes to the return table.  

Think Hogs will just leave the phone/wrist band in a bag and leave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Covid-19.

Is.

Not.

An.

Influenza.

Virus.

How hard is this for people to comprehend? Alas, people already treat it like the flu across the US. Which is why death and infection rates are totally out of control. Can't fix stupid.

Europe hasn't developed a vaccine yet, have they? Yet MSC is planning to launch 2 ships later this month. Not next year, not 2022, THIS MONTH. Other places like Asia are sailing again. If a vaccine were required to resume sailing, why are other places in the world seeing a return to cruising?

I would feel safer going back on a cruise with a proven vaccine, yet that apparently isn't an absolute requirement or you wouldn't have authorities in Europe giving the green light. I think only time will tell what the future of cruising will be. I'm neither a doctor nor a travel professional, so I really have no idea what it will be like.

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I have no issue taking vaccines, so much so I am a Guinea pig (hog?) for the Oxford vaccine Phase III human trials, I had my shot two months ago. I just wish I had known I had to self administered a covid swab test kit weekly for a whole year.... it's nasty. 

I have no idea if I was given the covid vaccine or the meningitis vaccine placebo (50/50) but the trial is doing really well and I am hopeful we will soon have a vaccine by year end.

The Oxford team are so confident it will be a success they started production a long time ago and have been stockpiling so it's ready to go once approved.

The government here have ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine (with first 30 million to be available from September if approved) and safety net of an additional 90 million doses from Pfizer, 60 million GSK and 40 million from Valneva.

Thank you for stepping up and volunteering to take the Oxford vaccine. Very unselfish thing to do, especially since you have to put up with that weekly nasty covid swab test for a year.

I'm on board (with this being a cruise forum - no pun intended) with your optimism. I was guessing a vaccine by early 2021 and distribution/readily available by mid-2021, but from what you said above, we mav be able to get vaccinated against this insidious virus by year's end. That would be great!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think Hogs will just leave the phone/wrist band in a bag and leave.

Hogs are wily and determined.  But not being able to enter their rooms, text, gamble or order beverages all day would drive them crazy I think.  

14 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thank you for stepping up and volunteering to take the Oxford vaccine. Very unselfish thing to do, especially since you have to put up with that weekly nasty covid swab test for a year.

I'm on board (with this being a cruise forum - no pun intended) with your optimism. I was guessing a vaccine by early 2021 and distribution/readily available by mid-2021, but from what you said above, we mav be able to get vaccinated against this insidious virus by year's end. That would be great!

Thank you, that's very kind, I just looked at it as a way of doing my bit, apart from shopping for my elderly neighbours there has been little I could contribute to the effort and I do believe to risk to me is very low.
The biggest problem here now is the levels of infection are a little low to test the vaccine, they are testing it in Brazil and South Africa where there is higher transmission.
Being on the trial, we get occasional updates and it really does appear very positive.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-20-new-study-reveals-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response#

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Plan B is get your ass outside and get back to normal. I have to a laugh at the people who think their is going to be a miracle vaccine. 50% is being very optimistic.......I hope I'm wrong. Just look at the flu vaccines, typical they work for about 20%-30%. A few years ago it hit 50% with children under 18. Wear a mask, wash your hands......like we should have to tell people that and social distance when you can. 

20% - 30% is a little low. According to the CDC, from the 2009/10 to the 2018/19 flu seasons, the flu vaccine effectiveness has ranged from 38% - 60% (with the exceptions of 2014/15 - 19% and 2018/19 - 29%), depending on the year.

Looks like this time, Fauci may be right - a 50% effective covid vaccine may be all that we can count on. I'll take a 50% effective covid vaccine over nothing. A vaccine does more than prevent you from getting the virus - if you do get the virus, a vaccine will reduce the chance of death from it, reduce the chance of hospitalization and being put on an ICU and also reduce the symptoms of the virus.

Give me the shot.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/effectiveness-studies.htm

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 4