Threw in the towel to the chair hogs!

BarnCat1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Thank you, that's very kind, I just looked at it as a way of doing my bit, apart from shopping for my elderly neighbours there has been little I could contribute to the effort and I do believe to risk to me is very low.
The biggest problem here now is the levels of infection are a little low to test the vaccine, they are testing it in Brazil and South Africa where there is higher transmission.
Being on the trial, we get occasional updates and it really does appear very positive.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-20-new-study-reveals-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response#

Bravo to you for doing your bit. Not only are you helping the health authorities, you are perhaps also hastening the development of a vaccine and, by extension, helping cruisers like me get back to doing what we like to do. My hat is off to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Plan B is get your ass outside and get back to normal. I have to a laugh at the people who think their is going to be a miracle vaccine. 50% is being very optimistic.......I hope I'm wrong. Just look at the flu vaccines, typical they work for about 20%-30%. A few years ago it hit 50% with children under 18. Wear a mask, wash your hands......like we should have to tell people that and social distance when you can. 

It's far more than just the effectiveness of the vaccine.  We also have to consider when the vaccine will be available.  Yes, I know Fauci said he thought it possible that a vaccine could be available in November.  But what does 'available' mean.  It certainly doesn't mean that anyone can walk into their neighborhood Walgreens and get a dose.  There is more to having a vaccine than determining that it is safe and effective.  One also has to produce (yes, i know they're doing some production now) and distribute the vaccine.  The distribution will be prioritized, as it should be, but the politics of distribution will be amazing.  Of course, first responders and health care workers should get it first.  But what after that?  There will be demands to send the vaccines overseas to countries harder hit.  Various factions will insist their members should go to the head of the line.  It maybe more reasonable to think that even if a vaccine is 'available', it might not actually be available till summer 2021.  That is if there is a vaccine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's far more than just the effectiveness of the vaccine.  We also have to consider when the vaccine will be available.  Yes, I know Fauci said he thought it possible that a vaccine could be available in November.  But what does 'available' mean.  It certainly doesn't mean that anyone can walk into their neighborhood Walgreens and get a dose.  There is more to having a vaccine than determining that it is safe and effective.  One also has to produce (yes, i know they're doing some production now) and distribute the vaccine.  The distribution will be prioritized, as it should be, but the politics of distribution will be amazing.  Of course, first responders and health care workers should get it first.  But what after that?  There will be demands to send the vaccines overseas to countries harder hit.  Various factions will insist their members should go to the head of the line.  It maybe more reasonable to think that even if a vaccine is 'available', it might not actually be available till summer 2021.  That is if there is a vaccine.

The US has failed is testing, spotty at best, No National Plan. You can test 100 million people but if it takes 5-14 days to get the results its just a waste of time and money. They need Rapid Test....which my wife who works for the USDA and CDC has been screaming about for months. Their is finally some movement on it. They have rapid test that will tell you in 2-3 minutes and are very very cheap. Like taking your blood sugar. Their is Zero incentives for the companies doing the testing at the present time to have them guarantee a fast turn around time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/coronavirus-state-testing-compact/2020/08/04/8b73bed8-d66f-11ea-9c3b-dfc394c03988_story.html

https://www.wfae.org/post/after-severe-delays-several-states-band-together-buy-coronavirus-tests#stream/0

Just now, Laszlo said:

The US has failed is testing, spotty at best, No National Plan. You can test 100 million people but if it takes 5-14 days to get the results its just a waste of time and money. They need Rapid Test....which my wife who works for the USDA and CDC has been screaming about for months. Their is finally some movement on it. They have rapid test that will tell you in 2-3 minutes and are very very cheap. Like taking your blood sugar. Their is Zero incentives for the companies doing the testing at the present time to have them guarantee a fast turn around time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/coronavirus-state-testing-compact/2020/08/04/8b73bed8-d66f-11ea-9c3b-dfc394c03988_story.html

https://www.wfae.org/post/after-severe-delays-several-states-band-together-buy-coronavirus-tests#stream/0

Absolutely, makes a lot more sense than what we're doing now.    Just imagine, get a test when you enter a restaurant or bar or other facility.  If you clean, no need to wear a mask and no need for social distancing.  Just another example of how we can do better without shutting down the economy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Absolutely, makes a lot more sense than what we're doing now.    Just imagine, get a test when you enter a restaurant or bar or other facility.  If you clean, no need to wear a mask and no need for social distancing.  Just another example of how we can do better without shutting down the economy.

EXCATLY!   Take a test before you leave the house in the morning, to go to work or go to school. They are simple and cheap! The US has failed miserably on testing, every other country has a National plan. 

Ask yourself why the US with about 4% of the worlds population has 25% of the worlds cases......And its not because we are testing more LOL

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Looks like this time, Fauci may be right - a 50% effective covid vaccine may be all that we can count on. I'll take a 50% effective covid vaccine over nothing.

Interestingly I have just been invited in for an optional booster dose which was not part of the original plan and might be related to Dr Fauci's comments, here is part of the email I just received. I have accepted the booster which is being administered on Friday.

Although during a pandemic it would be preferable to give a single dose of vaccine, data from the first COVID019 vaccine trial which we have recently published in the journal Lancet suggests that 2 doses of vaccine stimulates the immune system more than a single dose. However, we don’t know how much of an immune response is needed for protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Interestingly I have just been invited in for an optional booster dose which was not part of the original plan and might be related to Dr Fauci's comments, here is part of the email I just received. I have accepted the booster which is being administered on Friday.

Although during a pandemic it would be preferable to give a single dose of vaccine, data from the first COVID019 vaccine trial which we have recently published in the journal Lancet suggests that 2 doses of vaccine stimulates the immune system more than a single dose. However, we don’t know how much of an immune response is needed for protection.

Give me 2 shots.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Well done Ziggy. Taking one for the team. I am also part of the phase 3 testing in the U.S. I would have liked to had the option of the Oxford vaccine testing. Their initial testing phases were reported to be excellent. I had to go with what was available here and now I've had my first Moderna shot. The follow up is scheduled for September. I don't know if I received the vaccine, or the placebo but I'm glad to be doing something. Hopefully there will be positive outcomes and plentiful vaccinations available to the general public.

Best wishes to all of the fellow cruisers, and stay safe. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, okpaddy said:

Well done Ziggy. Taking one for the team. I am also part of the phase 3 testing in the U.S. I would have liked to had the option of the Oxford vaccine testing. Their initial testing phases were reported to be excellent. I had to go with what was available here and now I've had my first Moderna shot. The follow up is scheduled for September. I don't know if I received the vaccine, or the placebo but I'm glad to be doing something. Hopefully there will be positive outcomes and plentiful vaccinations available to the general public.

Best wishes to all of the fellow cruisers, and stay safe. 

Thank you, you and @ziggyuk are truly helping the cause of cruising. I want to wish you both well and convey my thanks for what you're doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you, you and @ziggyuk are truly helping the cause of cruising. I want to wish you both well and convey my thanks for what you're doing.

You are very kind DCGuy.

I was surprised by the reaction some friends and family had to the news that I had signed on for testing. There seemed to be a general consensus that I was nuts to offer myself up as a guinea pig.

During this time of uncertainty and unrest, we all need each other to step up and display a willingness to defend the line.

I have tried to live by the philosophy of contribute however and whatever you are able

• Like 4

2 hours ago, okpaddy said:

You are very kind DCGuy.

I was surprised by the reaction some friends and family had to the news that I had signed on for testing. There seemed to be a general consensus that I was nuts to offer myself up as a guinea pig.

During this time of uncertainty and unrest, we all need each other to step up and display a willingness to defend the line.

I have tried to live by the philosophy of contribute however and whatever you are able

Thanks from me too @DCGuy64

Well done you too okpaddy.

I have had the same reaction, I don't tend to tell people now as I normally get "Why would you do that?".

I give blood and used to donate plasma every 2 weeks on a dialysis machine, I see it no differently, we just need to find a way out of this mess.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, okpaddy said:

Thank you for the recommendation, I haven't read any Cussler books for a long while. I will pick it up. 👍 

Was published in 1990, just printed in paperback in 2020.  Dirk Pitt vs nuclear weapons in Japan in 1993.  Also incorporates a third atomic bomb in August, 1945, and Corregador and Yamashita's gold in the Philippines. 

We all have decisions to make, we also all have criteria to base those decisions on... good personal health, health of family members and close friends, our life's longevity, level of care and suffering... etc, etc... these things are all things we could/maybe should be considering. 

However, the bigger picture includes many things which could be obstacles of cruising.  We really don't know what to expect with regards to restrictions to a cruise.  

Do we want to cruise, knowing we will be liable to any medical expenses and much more? Do we want to be responsible for costs related to transportation to medical facilities in foreign countries? Do we want to wear masks and sustain social distancing during our cruise?

I'm still on the fence b/c I continue to consider these and other questions regarding my next cruises in Apr. 2021.  I love to cruise. I love meeting new people.  I love exploring new places..... 

I'm hopeful we'll have a vaccine by Apr. 1st 2021. 

Good luck and stay safe everyone.  😘 🍹

• Like 1

7 hours ago, okpaddy said:

Thank you!  I like your philosophy.  My dad used to say that we should all try to leave the world a little bit better than we found it.  Books:  Right now I'm reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee.  It's a multi-generational saga of a Korean family making their way in Japan.  Also reading Paul by Walter Wangerin which is a fictionalized account of the Christian church in the first century.  Past favorites would be The Stand by Stephen King and Trinity or Exodus by Leon Uris.  (Sorry to others for the slight highjacking.)