Threw in the towel to the chair hogs!

BarnCat1

14 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Do we want to cruise, knowing we will be liable to any medical expenses and much more? Do we want to be responsible for costs related to transportation to medical facilities in foreign countries? Do we want to wear masks and sustain social distancing during our cruise?

For the very valid reasons you point out above, my answer is no. Also, do we want to be quarantined in our staterooms for days on end because there was a covid outbreak on the ship? Again, no.

14 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I'm hopeful we'll have a vaccine by Apr. 1st 2021. 

Me2 (maybe even sooner?)!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, farmersfight said:

vaccine does more than prevent you from getting the virus - if you do get the virus, a vaccine will reduce the chance of death from it, reduce the chance of hospitalization and being put on an ICU and also reduce the symptoms of the virus.

Give me the shot.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/effectiveness-studies.htm

Absolutely!! 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 10:43 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Thank you!  I like your philosophy.  My dad used to say that we should all try to leave the world a little bit better than we found it.  Books:  Right now I'm reading Pachinko by Min Jin Lee.  It's a multi-generational saga of a Korean family making their way in Japan.  Also reading Paul by Walter Wangerin which is a fictionalized account of the Christian church in the first century.  Past favorites would be The Stand by Stephen King and Trinity or Exodus by Leon Uris.  (Sorry to others for the slight highjacking.)

Thank you for the recommendations. I agree, Leon Uris is must read, and I will look for Pachinko and Paul. I'm not a fan of scary reads, or movies. Isn't Pachinko a Japanese pin ball game ? 

On 8/9/2020 at 5:26 PM, okpaddy said:

Do you have any good book recommendations ? I've just about finished my list for 2020 since being quarantined. 

Our Hawaiian cruise was canceled - twice - so I just read James Michener's "Hawaii."  It's historical fiction and covers the history of the islands from the very beginning to shortly before Hawaii became a state.  It's 1,200+ kindle pages, so it'll keep you entertained for quite awhile, but I could barely put it down!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

Our Hawaiian cruise was canceled - twice - so I just read James Michener's "Hawaii."  It's historical fiction and covers the history of the islands from the very beginning to shortly before Hawaii became a state.  It's 1,200+ kindle pages, so it'll keep you entertained for quite awhile, but I could barely put it down!

Thank you, I appreciated the recommendation. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 5:23 AM, ew101 said:

Actually chair hogging can be fixed.  Put a solar powered RFID chip on every chair.  Reserve it with your app/phone/wrist band.  Light turns red.  If you run to your cabin for a forgotten book, you are fine.  if you walk away from the pool deck for say four hours, (LOL), your reservation expires- the light turns green.  Your stuff goes to the return table.  

I just move their stuff to the foot of another chair.  Rarely has someone confronted me, to which I innocently ask if they're sure this was their chair because I've been sitting in it for more than an hour.

• Like 2

Some day hopefully all of this will be forgotten.  Like polio,  it will be just a memory.  Things will go back to the normal for the times.  Remember all things go around and end.   In the 40.s 50’s people stayed in hotels for vacation.  Then the islands. Then cruising .   
Something new will come around what everybody will want to do.  Nobody cares about how the crews are treated,  So we can have  our Cheap prices. One example of what can change 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:23 PM, farmersfight said:

Unfortunately, it's just the opposite. Not wearing a mask and not social distancing are what's not working. Look at those house parties, pool parties, lake/boat gatherings even hallways in schools packed - no masks and no social distancing resulting in spikes of positive Covid cases.

Explaine NY long term care facility massacre by Cuomo. Those people never left there room the ultimate social distance. Nurses stayed there for months so no reason it should have been there.

3 hours ago, ellasmomanddad said:

Explaine NY long term care facility massacre by Cuomo. Those people never left there room the ultimate social distance. Nurses stayed there for months so no reason it should have been there.

There's no explaining Cuomo's insane decision. I agree, it was a massacre. It's beyond comprehension how Cuomo at the DNC convention could brag about how well NY did responding to Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2020 at 6:23 PM, NikiPinkston said:

We are booked on PoA for May 2021 and I've been saving reading Hawaii for closer to our trip - whether it happens or not 😉 I have read Texas and Chesapeake so I know Hawaii will also be a good one.

To keep it OT - I have not thought of cancelling (hope it does not come to that) but at least I booked with a certificate.   Prices have not been as good as when I booked but I am keeping an eye on it since I booked an inside (port heavy itinerary) and with everything going on a balcony might not be a bad investment.

I am being an optimist (very rare for me) since we had to cancel a trip this past May and the rebooked trip we had for Aug. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirenitas said:

We are booked on PoA for May 2021 and I've been saving reading Hawaii for closer to our trip - whether it happens or not 😉 I have read Texas and Chesapeake so I know Hawaii will also be a good one.

To keep it OT - I have not thought of cancelling (hope it does not come to that) but at least I booked with a certificate.   Prices have not been as good as when I booked but I am keeping an eye on it since I booked an inside (port heavy itinerary) and with everything going on a balcony might not be a bad investment.

I am being an optimist (very rare for me) since we had to cancel a trip this past May and the rebooked trip we had for Aug. 

Hawaii was the first James Michener book I read, but I think Texas is next. My dad was from Dallas so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.  We cruised on the POA in 2016 & loved it!  We had planned to go again this year to celebrate our 40th anniversary, but this virus had other plans.  We plan to re-book (hopefully for next year) as soon as we have a vaccine.  Definitely try to get a balcony cabin if you can - it's well worth it!

• Like 1