The Daily for Sunday Aug 9, 2020

richwmn

today is Book Lovers Day and National Polka Day

Seminars, n.:
    From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.

Meal suggestion for today - Cucumber and Hummus Boats

Wine of the day - Sadie Family Skerpioen Swartland vintage 2016

At Sea Atlantic
Rotterdam destination Rotterdam eta 8/10

At Sea Indian
Volendam destination Durban eta 8/18
Westerdam destination Mombasa, Kenya eta 8/12

At Sea Mediterranean
Amsterdam destination Gibraltar eta 8/10
Veendam destination Katakolo eta 8/10

At Sea Pacific
Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) destination Panama Canal, eta 8/13
Ship is currently off Chemela Mexico
Koningsdam

Cochin
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

Limassol
Maasdam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Singapore Area
Noordam
Zuiderdam

0809Indian.png

0809Pacific.png

0809Europe.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning Rich and daily-ites.  Love books and read constantly.  When I was a child we lived near a Croation center and heard polka music at night.  Prayers for all on our list and the many that aren't.  Do not care for hummus so will skip the menu suggestion.

• Like 3

Thank you for the daily.  I love the definition.  Love books more than polkas.  I hope people are enjoying my alternate meal choices although there is a lull coming.  Never had dinner on a HAL ship August 13-16.  My choice today is Parmesan Encrusted Chicken Breast along with Chilled Mango Gazpacho as served on the Prinsendam August 9, 2011.

Today's caring list:

Allen and Joy for a good surgical outcome and recovery.

Fatcat's MIL

Mrs. Vmax

Hearing from Denise and David

The people of Beirut

Those affected by wildfires and resulting smoke

The Wilderness Adventure Passengers and Crew

Victims and Survivors of Air India Express 1134

and Krazy Kruizers

Today's celebration and shout out list

My taking no pain meds so far today and feeling no pain

Sharon's In-Laws

Restaurants in Baltimore who have opted not to allow indoor dining even though it's permitted

Our front line medical workers, especially those in ICU's

A man near the Great Lakes who took a part time job in a nursing home so he could visit his wife of 62 years

New Zealand for 100 days without Covid community transmission.

Roy

Dismomx5, do I remember correctly that your congregation is meeting outdoors every 2 weeks and this is an off week.  If I misrembered, best wishes for great weather.  Actually wishing everyone great weather in any case.

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've always been a book lover - something I've instilled in our son as well, and look forward to a time when we can gather at weddings so we can polka (and waltz) the night away!

I love the meal suggestion, but can't imagine making an entire meal of cucumber and hummus.  I've got a small beef roast ready to put in the toaster oven for this evening; along with baked potatoes and cucumbers in vinegar will be our dinner tonight.  And wine.

I must tell you, Sochi lived it up with a great exuberance yesterday celebrating International Cat Day, and needed to have a nap on the deck as we were having dinner.

image.jpeg.657d6ee77ce8f6faadf1e2e929ad99e2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  It's great seeing a celebration list as well - in these strange times, it seems we don't always have a lot to celebrate.   Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Gambling humor

Dear Rich, Thank you for the Daily. You are faithful, that's for sure.

Good morning Sisters Denise and Ann, and Roy, kazu, and fellow Daily-ites.

My mind is mushy this morning, but I believe Denise and David were going to Mammoth? 

Allen could not have surgery yesterday, as he needed a 3rd unit of blood. He has internal bleeding. GI surgeon will try for today at 11, so please keep him in prayer.

Prayers out to friends on Roy's care list and some very good news on the celebrations list! 

Have a Blessed Sunday. Call, email, text your loved ones and let them know they are in your thoughts.

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks to our thread leader for keeping us up on where the HAL ships are or going to.  I like hummus and cubes - together, not sure.  I belong to a book club, meeting once a month, but the virus has curtailed us for a while as we get the books from the library and it has just recently reopened.  Thinking of those who are not well.  That beautiful Hibiscus that I posted the picture of yesterday was an overnight snack for the squirrels.  

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My mind is mushy this morning, but I believe Denise and David were going to Mammoth? 

Allen could not have surgery yesterday, as he needed a 3rd unit of blood. He has internal bleeding. GI surgeon will try for today at 11, so please keep him in prayer.

Prayers out to friends on Roy's care list and some very good news on the celebrations list! 

Have a Blessed Sunday. Call, email, text your loved ones and let them know they are in your thoughts.

First - Joy, hoping all goes well today. You two are in my prayers. This has been a difficult road for both of you. 

Second - thank you for confirming that I did not dream up “Mammoth” in relation to Denise & David. I tried searching for it, but could not find a post by @DeeniEncinitas with that name in it. I am sure I am just not searching correctly. 

Now let’s hope they are enjoying themselves there.

Love you.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Second - thank you for confirming that I did not dream up “Mammoth” in relation to Denise & David. I tried searching for it, but could not find a post by @DeeniEncinitas with that name in it. I am sure I am just not searching correctly. 

You weren't dreaming and have a good memory.  It was July 23:

On 7/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Good morning Ann!!
Such a beautiful double 🌈 rainbow!!

That is double happiness!!!!!

Hope Bindi and you are doing well.

How are the Twins doing?

we brought our kayaks up to Mammoth and we were going to do kayaking while we were up there but we rode our bikes instead!

Have a great day Ann and as always stay safe and ❤️ Goes out you !

Denise😊

Hope they decided on a spur of the moment trip.  That trip was about 2 days so hopefully if that's what they did they should be back soon.

Roy

• Like 4

These are from our April 2017 Panama Canal transit on the Eurodam. Our stop in Victoria, British Columbia was near the end of the cruise and it was probably our most memorable port. We just walked around the town but found it to be absolutely beautiful with fantastic gardens, flowers, public spaces (amazing government buildings), and homes. We wanted to find a real estate agent and start shopping! We will definitely visit again. 

Ann's picture of the "Welcome to Victoria" building posted yesterday inspired me to show it in a happier state - 

image.thumb.png.3dd2d6ea9ddeb78df5b308bf58e6ca13.png

And a multitude of flowers around town -

image.thumb.png.a7564ee056eb020337785d3c2d4b7f54.png

image.thumb.png.b8d2cd4a83835696f621304ddb57997b.png

image.thumb.png.d0ee9566d0af6e6a489e99d96fb2f005.png

• Like 10

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning my Sisters & fellow Dailyites. Hope all are well. I love to read, and I have not polka’d in years! Perhaps I should teach Bindi.  

I will substitute zucchini for cucumber and bake them before stuffing them with hummus. Cucumbers just make me burp - even the burpless ones. 

The wine sounds amazing, though almost over my price range. Not sure if the 2016 is available, but the 2018 is almost as highly rated.

Blend: 50% Chenin Blanc, 50% Palomino

WS95
Wine Spectator
Intense and still youthfully tight, with verbena and white peach notes leading the way for yellow apple, chamomile, white ginger and jasmine flavors. A lovely quinine streak is well-embedded, giving this tension and vibrancy through the finish. Chenin Blanc and Palomino. Drink now through 2024.

Prayers for all on our official & unofficial lists. And 🥂 to our celebrants! Thank you for giving us good news. 

Stay well everyone!
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

You weren't dreaming and have a good memory.  It was July 23:

Hope they decided on a spur of the moment trip.  That trip was about 2 days so hopefully if that's what they did they should be back soon.

Roy

Thank you Roy.  I bet I did not go back far enough. But that definitely is a past trip. Hope they just took off to another place for some R&R.

• Like 3

Thanks for this wonderful thread.

Thanks for letting us know where the HAL  ships are, love those maps.

Love the quote.

I suddenly have lots of cucumbers in my garden - I guess I should make pickles.

Sending prayers for everyone on the care list, and an additional one for Allen.

Thanks to everyone who posts pictures.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

That beautiful Hibiscus that I posted the picture of yesterday was an overnight snack for the squirrels.

Oh DAM, Georgina 😞 I feel your pain.

• Like 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love books and will happily read as usual to celebrate the day.  Love the quote - ever so true.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks and will need to look up the wine but I suspect tonight we will have our Australian cardboardeaux.

@Seasick Sailor I hope Allen’s surgery can be done today successfully and of course, he remains in our prayers.

@DeeniEncinitas hope you are having fun on a spur of the moment trip 🤞

@puppycanducruise - pickles?  Sounds like a fine idea.  I was gifted some fresh dill by a kind neighbour so I just had to make some and since I was in Holly Homemaker mode when I found wild blueberries I had to make some blueberry/raspberry jam - LOL.

1A69E76A-D424-4400-A9DC-DAFEF7DC729A.thumb.jpeg.ea1d2df7d62f2ce99aa1160bececec8b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone one our Care list.  

Stay safe and healthy everyone and have a great Sunday!

• Like 8

Happy Sunday!

Thanks, Rich. We have a bunch of book lovers in our house-and the grandchildren are the same. I love the polka! My Dad used to polka, but the only time my Mom let me dance with him was once- on my wedding day. And as for the quote....🤣

DH doesn't do cucumbers or hummus so I'm taking a roast out of the freezer.

@rafinmd, thanks for the thoughts. This was a service day. We got started and the rain began, so after a blessing, we left and then the heavens opened up. We'll try again in two weeks.

@Seasick Sailor, thanks for the giggle. Prayers sent for both Allen and his surgery and you as you wait it out.

Oh, @gigianne, I'm so sorry. They must have thought that the pink was so lovely. I'm glad you got a picture of it before the attack.

@Overhead Fred, when we visited Victoria a few years back, I felt the same. So quaint!

Your pickles and jam look good, @kazu Yummmm.

As I said earlier, we are having some unexpected thunderstorms in the area today. Even when we awoke today, the weather app said no rain. Oh, well, it means I won't have to top up the pool!

Sending prayers for all those on the Care list, and those who aren't.

Take care everyone. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love books and will happily read as usual to celebrate the day.  Love the quote - ever so true.

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion thanks and will need to look up the wine but I suspect tonight we will have our Australian cardboardeaux.

@Seasick Sailor I hope Allen’s surgery can be done today successfully and of course, he remains in our prayers.

@DeeniEncinitas hope you are having fun on a spur of the moment trip 🤞

@puppycanducruise - pickles?  Sounds like a fine idea.  I was gifted some fresh dill by a kind neighbour so I just had to make some and since I was in Holly Homemaker mode when I found wild blueberries I had to make some blueberry/raspberry jam - LOL.

1A69E76A-D424-4400-A9DC-DAFEF7DC729A.thumb.jpeg.ea1d2df7d62f2ce99aa1160bececec8b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone one our Care list.  

Stay safe and healthy everyone and have a great Sunday!

Wow! Beautiful berries. Weren't you a busy bee!

Thanks for prayers.

• Like 3

Good morning, all, and thank you, Rich, for The Daily, and Roy for the caring and celebrations lists.

The book lovers are hard at work today I would imagine.  The paper said that there had been more than 2000 vehicles at the book drive by noon - and it went on until 3.  The volunteers evidently were mainly cruise industry personnel, which was nice.  I guess there's not much going on at the moment for them.  This was in the paper today (think that it should have been full of cruisers, not books!)

IMG_5085.thumb.jpeg.83e7352d584cbfd008de372cad61f110.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@DeeniEncinitas Hope all is ok with you and David. Our friends here are concerned not hearing from you. Hoping you are on a remote beach sipping a tropical drink outside of a tiki hut. Love you Sis.

🦦OMGOSH!!!! No I haven’t been on for several days! So much going on!

First Joy I feel terrible not getting on CC! I am so sad about Allen!! Triple prayers going out always! Be strong sister you have an Army of support here with all of us! 
🌺Jacqui, 🌺Ann, 🌺Roy Thank you for caring so much to be concerned! All of you have no idea how much it means!

NOW WHERE AM I? The picture should tell you! It is sunrise here. A lot on our plate!!

Tried to get the rapid COVID-19 test I guess we are not important enough🙄(it was so we would not have to do a 14 stay at home) we thought because our home was here it would be fine! No it is not our place of residence. Our place in Maui due to the storm which was just high winds and rain we have to replace the fence on one side and our air conditioner also!😯 So since we couldn’t get a test we decided last minute to fly over on Hawaiian and do the 14 day quarantine!! Our friends stocked up at Costco for us and it’s fine! Just been busy.

David meeting with crew tomorrow so I am glad we came!

FYI! Plane was not full! Since we fly with Hawaiian have miles so we did first! But no non stops to Maui! We had a 4 hour layover In Honolulu and had to be away from everyone ! It was awful! Don’t even want to go there!!! Flight was nice but minimal service. All in masks! 
Ok enough said! Will be home after all the things here are taken care of! Home before Sept 1st. ❤️Love to all!

Aloha 🌺Denise

image.thumb.jpeg.cbaeb3654b2b6398cbef54cd8aac009d.jpeg

• Like 10