anyway to guarantee an exit row seat?

Guest moe46

Flying from New York to Amsterdam and would like to get an exit row seat as I am 6'6. Can you book an exit row when you book your flight? Only other option I am aware of would be paying quite a bit more for business class.  Anyone have any suggestions?

1 hour ago, moe46 said:

Flying from New York to Amsterdam and would like to get an exit row seat as I am 6'6. Can you book an exit row when you book your flight? Only other option I am aware of would be paying quite a bit more for business class.  Anyone have any suggestions?

The carrier you're using info might help to answer your question. Lot's of very knowledgeable posters on this board.

9 hours ago, moe46 said:

To answer your question in the post: it depends on the airline.

To answer the question in the threadtitle: NO! There is no way to guarantee any seat on the plane. The assigned seat can always change.

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

To answer the question in the threadtitle: NO! There is no way to guarantee any seat on the plane. The assigned seat can always change.

The closest thing to having a guarantee for a particular seat......is to be the captain.  And even that can change.

• Haha 1

You might try doing a dummy booking on the flight(s) you are considering and when you get to the seat selection portion of your booking, see if an exit row seat is shown as available.  But... that won't guarantee you will get that seat.   

When doing my own dummy booking, I've actually seen the exit rows as being unavailable (as well as first class) but then they mysteriously become available to book at a later time.   

The exit row seats are popular because of the extra room.   

On 8/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, moe46 said:

What airline are you considering?  With AA you can pay for a Main Cabin Extra seat which includes the exit row.  All the Main Cabin Extra seats have extra leg room.  This would be the less expensive option.

United has Premium Economy.

20 hours ago, jagoffee said:

What airline are you considering?  With AA you can pay for a Main Cabin Extra seat which includes the exit row.  All the Main Cabin Extra seats have extra leg room.  This would be the less expensive option.

To avoid confusing the original poster,  I will clarify that United has Premium Plus on some flights, and Economy Plus  which is equivalent to AA’s  Main Cabin Extra. 

• Thanks 1

And economy plus cost extra $ on UA (unless you are a MP elite flier). And if you want an exit row they are reserved for their Elite FF fliers. My suggestion would be to book a Premium Plus seat on UA or other airlines to get the extra leg room.  They are not that much more on an advance purchase.

Edited by PaulMCO

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:36 PM, jagoffee said:

Same with Delta...they call it Comfort Plus.  Beyond that, some airlines either charge more for exit row seating, or block them from passengers who are not elite level loyalty members.

On some airlines you can pay more to buy a specific exit row seat. We have done it a number of times on one airline.  Alas, I think that Transit only flys from Canada and return to international destinations.

Edited by iancal