Who misses sailing?

36 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

So I finally booked a cruise..I am excited its something I really look forward to..October 2, 2021 25 days on Regatta from LA to Tokyo , right now Im looking forward to there being a vaccine and things being close to normal..at my age I usually dont buy green bananas but I really need something to have on my calendar...

jancruz1

Good move Jan - always nice to have things to look forward to.

Hopefully it will be fine by then one way or another.

50 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Good move Jan - always nice to have things to look forward to.

Hopefully it will be fine by then one way or another.

Thats how I feel..look forward to it and see what happens..

Right now my grandaughters family  is waiting to see if they are evacuated..up in Northern Cal (Vacaville) so having this on my plate relaxes stress..

Jancruz1

How are you doing Paul..all ok with the fires????

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Right now my grandaughters family  is waiting to see if they are evacuated..up in Northern Cal (Vacaville) so having this on my plate relaxes stress..

Jancruz1

I guess this puts a lot of this other stuff on the back burner.  Hope all your people are O.K.   Cruises are not that important, are they   Stay safe. 

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

It seems like there never is a dull moment if you reside in California.  Any stress reliever is welcome.  

Hope all you Californians stay well and stay safe! 

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

We are OK with fires but the air is very unhealthy with too much smoke - it’s keeping us inside all day.

Feel very bad for all people directly affected by this disaster and hope your family is OK.

Thought about you when I saw the fires in the news. Good that you are ok. Staying home is what we all do now most of the time.  Here in Jersey, things have somewhat improved. We can leave and go to all states except NH without quarantine or testing. Returning is completely different.  Returning from a small group of states is ok. Most require 14 day quarantine and testing. It changes often. DC was on the list until Trump wanted to golf at Bedminster. It is tricky. From day to day, we have to check if Delaware or Pennsylvania have restrictions.  So we stay home most of the time.  Not going to the Jersey shore this summer. I dearly miss it. Too many people getting sick there.  We still do not have open gyms, movies, or indoor dining.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Redtravel said:

From day to day, we have to check if Delaware or Pennsylvania have restrictions.  So we stay home most of the time.  Not going to the Jersey shore this summer. I dearly miss it. Too many people getting sick there.  

Our daughter in South Orange lost her electricity for five days when tropical storm Isaias came through recently, so she and her husband rented a suites hotel room near the Jersey Shore with their “almost three” year old. She found the Monmouth County beaches she visited excellent regarding social distancing.  The beaches had strict limits on the number of daily beach passes they would sell so they were not overcrowded.

Just FYI if you want to reconsider or perhaps try a day trip for a dip. (I grew up in Toms River so would love to do a day trip to the ocean!)

On 8/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Jancruz said:

So I finally booked a cruise..I am excited its something I really look forward to..October 2, 2021 25 days on Regatta from LA to Tokyo , right now Im looking forward to there being a vaccine and things being close to normal..at my age I usually dont buy green bananas but I really need something to have on my calendar...

jancruz1

Exciting news, Jan.  It's a very interesting itinerary.  We had looked at a Tokyo to Vancouver version on Regent (O didn't have the equivalent) last year, but in the end we cancelled for complex reasons.  Hope you and Stu spend some time in Tokyo and the surrounding areas like Hakone.  We spent 4 days in Tokyo and 2 nights in Hakone at the beginning of a 22 day land trip of Japan.  

On 8/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, 1985rz1 said:

Exciting news, Jan.  It's a very interesting itinerary.  We had looked at a Tokyo to Vancouver version on Regent (O didn't have the equivalent) last year, but in the end we cancelled for complex reasons.  Hope you and Stu spend some time in Tokyo and the surrounding areas like Hakone.  We spent 4 days in Tokyo and 2 nights in Hakone at the beginning of a 22 day land trip of Japan.  

Thanks for the idea..will do that..already looking at one way air..

Jancruz1

10 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Thanks for the idea..will do that..already looking at one way air..

Jancruz1

Jan - We did the Alaska to Tokyo (different cruiseline ... sorry) last September. Great, interesting cruise ... but, yes, that one-way air was a "killer".😬

On 8/21/2020 at 8:27 PM, CintiPam said:

Our daughter in South Orange lost her electricity for five days when tropical storm Isaias came through recently, so she and her husband rented a suites hotel room near the Jersey Shore with their “almost three” year old. She found the Monmouth County beaches she visited excellent regarding social distancing.  The beaches had strict limits on the number of daily beach passes they would sell so they were not overcrowded.

Just FYI if you want to reconsider or perhaps try a day trip for a dip. (I grew up in Toms River so would love to do a day trip to the ocean!)

For us living in west Jersey near Philly, going to the shore is 1-2 hour drive.  With beaches limiting people, we would have to start at dawn to get there before they close it off.  We like Island Beach.  We watch the web site for open and closing times. They fill up early and close often.  Weekends close often at 9-10.   This is the summer of no day trips to the shore.  Miss it. 

12 hours ago, Redtravel said:

For us living in west Jersey near Philly, going to the shore is 1-2 hour drive.  With beaches limiting people, we would have to start at dawn to get there before they close it off.  We like Island Beach.  We watch the web site for open and closing times. They fill up early and close often.  Weekends close often at 9-10.   This is the summer of no day trips to the shore.  Miss it. 

Island Beach was my favorite ocean swimming place for me growing up but it certainly is a very frustrating place to try to visit with its very limited car capacity.  The only times I would ever visit on a summer weekend was after 3 pm on Sunday when many already were streaming out to drive home.  

I already am dreaming of next summer there.  

Best wishes to you for resumed Jersey Shore visits in 2021!

On 8/20/2020 at 6:55 PM, CintiPam said:

It seems like there never is a dull moment if you reside in California.  Any stress reliever is welcome.  

Hope all you Californians stay well and stay safe! 

Well... I will take a few fires and every now and then an earthquake   over annual... hurricanes, floods  hail, lightning storms, tornadoes , sweltering humidity and bugs AND 4 months every year of snow and ice ( winter)

In truth only small sections of the state is ever impacted and only for short periods..... when the worst happens there are always plenty of places to escape to in every season...   You can Surf, Golf, BBQ, Ski , hike, boating even in the depth of Winter...    It aint perfect ( tax and politics)_ but we could do worse..........

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well... I will take a few fires and every now and then an earthquake   over annual... hurricanes, floods  hail, lightning storms, tornadoes , sweltering humidity and bugs AND 4 months every year of snow and ice ( winter)

Some lightning and sweltering humidity here for sure.  

It has been three complete winters since our children (living in North Jersey) convinced us that we should purchase a snowblower rather than keep shoveling our long curved driveway.  It has been used once only, on 1/13/19.  (I took photos of DH in action with it!)

I still miss the ocean after almost 33 years out here, one of the reasons I enjoy those Caribbean cruises on Riviera!  On our March cruise, I got to swim, sail, and/or snorkel off the coasts of Aruba, Bonaire, Antigua, St. Lucia, Bequia, and St. Barts.  That 14-day RT Miami Southern Caribbean itinerary is a great one for water sports aficionados.

9 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In truth only small sections of the state is ever impacted and only for short periods..... when the worst happens there are always plenty of places to escape to in every season...   You can Surf, Golf, BBQ, Ski , hike, boating even in the depth of Winter...    It aint perfect ( tax and politics)_ but we could do worse..........

Ah, but, man, a million of acres of have burned. Yeah, we have 100 million acres but that's a ***** load of land. And there's no longer a fire season. It's all the time.

11 hours ago, clo said:

Ah, but, man, a million of acres of have burned. Yeah, we have 100 million acres but that's a ***** load of land. And there's no longer a fire season. It's all the time.

A huge part of california fires and western states is that millions have left the cities and moved out into former wildlands seeking to get away from it.   They build in remote mountain areas  encourage fuel ( trees and brush) to envelop their home... Second, over the top environmentalist  prevent a lot of forest management like removing millions of dead trees and conducting controlled burns to eliminate ground ( ladder) fuels. Simply stated more trees are now  growing  than the land can sustain....  The result is sick forests... primed to burn and the slightest because of over love. 

Its a design for disaster.     Back in the day, indians used to burn off parts of the forest to keep it healthy for plans and animals......  Sequoia and Redwoods need fire to seed and allow new trees to grow.    

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

A huge part of california fires and western states is that millions have left the cities and moved out into former wildlands seeking to get away from it.   They build in remote mountain areas  encourage fuel ( trees and brush) to envelop their home... Second, over the top environmentalist  prevent a lot of forest management like removing millions of dead trees and conducting controlled burns to eliminate ground ( ladder) fuels. Simply stated more trees are now  growing  than the land can sustain....  The result is sick forests... primed to burn and the slightest because of over love. 

Its a design for disaster.     Back in the day, indians used to burn off parts of the forest to keep it healthy for plans and animals......  Sequoia and Redwoods need fire to seed and allow new trees to grow.    

We mustn't forget climate change. Oh and how much forest land is owned by federal and state goverernments?

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You mean we have to rake the leaves in the forrest like they do in Finland?

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, clo said:

We mustn't forget climate change. Oh and how much forest land is owned by federal and state goverernments?

When I was with the National parks....I was astounded that huge portions of the budgets had to be devoted to defending a non stop assault of frivolous law suits on us by " environmental radicals"    The Forest service too is assaulted  by the Dont touch anything. 

Yosemite  90 years  ago was just oak grass lands... not its a choked forest.  Yellowstone fires 20 years ago were the result of thousand of acres of  too dense forest.  In Sequoia's giant forest Teddy  Roosevelt road a horse as full gallop....In the 70's it was a jungle of all sort of stuff.  IN  Rocky Mt... the whole east side of the park forest was killed by bark beetles and managers were prevented from  cutting down infected trees. 

Climate change is but a small part...Human impact  both in migration to the forests and once they get there  its "Whoa"  dont tell me how or where to live  and if you dont I will sue you.... is far greater

As The late great Walt Kelly remarked "  We have met the enemy, and he is US"

On 8/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Paulchili said:

You mean we have to rake the leaves in the forrest like they do in Finland?

No....controlled , prescriptive burns far better.    we are just getting started to protect the 100,000,000 acres of neglected lands that need fire as a healthy  thing...    It will take time   and people keep rushing to build deeper and deeper into  the wilds.... thats cool....  but when your  forest burns as it needs to every now and then.... don't say you were not warned.........

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

No....controlled , prescriptive burns far better.    we are just getting started to protect the 100,000,000 acres of neglected lands that need fire as a healthy  thing...    It will take time   and people keep rushing to build deeper and deeper into  the wilds.... thats cool....  but when your  forest burns as it needs to every now and then.... don't say you were not warned.........

You are right but missed the joke.