SPECIALTY DINING QUESTION

elaineb

Hi Everyone!  Trying to be positive and hoping our cruise on Brilliance of the Seas will be sailing next June.  So here I am at work - slow day- and daydreaming.  I looked at the Specialty Dining and they have a Chops +1 for $59 per person.  The Chops dining is assigned for nights 1 or 2, but you can pick another specialty restaurant for any other night.  This looks like a great deal.  However, is gratuity added to this?  Do we need to tip in addition to this?

Thank you for your replies.

When we have ordered a specialty restaurant package, the gratuity has been included, although it does not state the amount of gratuity.  With that in mind, we tip at least $10 extra per person as the cost of the meal is discounted with a package.

With the Covid though, things might be changing, so if you go back to your Cruise Planner and look at the Chops & 1, read the fine print that is lower on the page.  It will advise you if gratuities are included or will be added.

Edited by katiel53

Rccl has specials the first two nights so specialty restaurants are crowded , we also tip extra, chops for lunch is a bargain less money very similar menu. We really enjoyed chops on brilliance, they sometimes have specials on the specialty restaurants during the cruise. 

3 hours ago, katiel53 said:

With the Covid though, things might be changing, so if you go back to your Cruise Planner and look at the Chops & 1, read the fine print that is lower on the page.  It will advise you if gratuities are included or will be added.

It did not say anything, that is why I am asking.  Thank you for your help.  And thanks, all, we will tip the server as suggested.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Not true. If you buy via the cruise planner the gratuity is added into your price.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/specialty-dining-package-gratuity

Unlike the drink package where they advertise the price then add an extra 28% on top of that at checkout the price you see for the dining package is the price you pay.  There is no additional fee added and what you pay includes the tip although they don’t specify how much it is that goes to the waiter. 

22 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unlike the drink package where they advertise the price then add an extra 28% on top of that at checkout the price you see for the dining package is the price you pay.  There is no additional fee added and what you pay includes the tip although they don’t specify how much it is that goes to the waiter. 

Not sure how truthful our waiter was in Jamies but she said they get from $3 to $5 per person when packages are involved. Meal price changes between BOGO, 3 or five night or UDP.  I must be on the cheap side as we only leave a $10 extra tip at dinner and a $5 for lunch. Most of our extra tip money ends up with the bartenders. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, strathcona said:

It use to be BOGO at around $50 so you can choose Chops as one of the restaurant. Current booking on multiple OASIS class has been Chops plus one at $75. Depending on the combination, not much of a bargain. 

Our upcoming cruise on Harmony has Chops+1 at $92...unbelievable, and that is with a discount 

Chops + 1 Dining Package
DOUBLE UP ON FOODIE FAVORITES

Enjoy dinner at Chops Grille + a specialty dining restaurant of your choice.

From*$91.12USD Adult
Price Shown Reflects Your Discount
ADD TO CART
  •  

Edited by taglovestocruise

7 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Our upcoming cruise on Harmony has Chops+1 at $92...unbelievable, and that is with a discount 

Chops + 1 Dining Package
DOUBLE UP ON FOODIE FAVORITES

Enjoy dinner at Chops Grille + a specialty dining restaurant of your choice.

From*$91.12USD Adult
Price Shown Reflects Your Discount
ADD TO CART
  •  

WOW!! I like Chops but that is not a deal at all!! 
Ours is CHOPS + 1 DINING PACKAGE
PRICES STARTING FROM*
$75.00 USD Adult 
For Symphony... I got the UDP got $175 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

WOW!! I like Chops but that is not a deal at all!! 
Ours is CHOPS + 1 DINING PACKAGE
PRICES STARTING FROM*
$75.00 USD Adult 
For Symphony... I got the UDP got $175 

I just wanted to clarify, 75$ is it a one time visit\purchase ? 75$ sounds like  a lot. I mean I got used to dining for like 20-25$ a person in the states, but 75$ sounds like they hae to pour me some good wine at least twice and serve me some of their best and luxurious dishes. Maybe its just me but it sounds like a lot.. 

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I just wanted to clarify, 75$ is it a one time visit\purchase ? 75$ sounds like  a lot. I mean I got used to dining for like 20-25$ a person in the states, but 75$ sounds like they hae to pour me some good wine at least twice and serve me some of their best and luxurious dishes. Maybe its just me but it sounds like a lot.. 

No, Chops +1 is Chops + one other specialty restaurant that they have listed. I know they do not include Chefs Table and the Hibachi. There might be other restrictions listed... 

It has been a couple of years that Royal has started to use dynamic pricing, the higher the demand, the higher the price. Maybe because Harmony has Wonderland, there is more demand for specialty restaurant. A lot of long time cruiser would question why since Wonderland is probably an one time thing. Appeal to first time cruisers which is what Royal targets now. Just trying to make sense of the varied pricing across the line. 

If these prices continue to go up for the specialty restaurants, you might see more people just eating in the MDR or Windjammer. I don't mind paying extra for a specialty restaurant, but those sky high prices will make me pass.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, strathcona said:

It has been a couple of years that Royal has started to use dynamic pricing, the higher the demand, the higher the price. Maybe because Harmony has Wonderland, there is more demand for specialty restaurant. A lot of long time cruiser would question why since Wonderland is probably an one time thing. Appeal to first time cruisers which is what Royal targets now. Just trying to make sense of the varied pricing across the line. 

I respectfully disagree to Wonderland being a one time thing. For some I can see it being a one and done. I was leaning in that direction after our first time dining there.
The dinner menu was centered around my stepsons then gf... She doesn't eat that and allergic to this. Whatever she can do to be center of attention. I wasn't thrilled and didn't see what the fuss was about. I was done with it!! 
We still had one more specialty dinner for our package and my DH wanted to do Wonderland again. So we did... This time it was just the 2 of us. It was a much better experience and a totally different menu. We left dinner completely satisfied and wanting to go again. 
If the waiter does their part in listening to your likes and dislikes, you will have a great meal and a great experience. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, LilBlackDress said:

No, Chops +1 is Chops + one other specialty restaurant that they have listed. I know they do not include Chefs Table and the Hibachi. There might be other restrictions listed... 

If I added someone to my booking does each person have to pay the $79 or whatever the cost. Its pp right?  Mine shows at $79 last I looked. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

If I added someone to my booking does each person have to pay the $79 or whatever the cost. Its pp right?  Mine shows at $79 last I looked. 

You can buy it for one bit then only one gets to dine.  It’s not like the drink package where everyone over 21 in the cabin must purchase it. 

• Thanks 1