The end for Carnival Fascination?

BigAl94

It appears that the Fantasy class ships will all be gone soon.  Sad, but I understand if this is what they have to do to keep their doors open.

She does look pretty rough.

Edited by arby70

Just now, BeachDiva101 said:

Wow.  I sailed her in June 2019 and she did not look like that.

I guess it goes to show you how much ongoing maintainance really takes place by the crew in the normal course of events.  It has only been 4 months sine she was sailing with happy passengers and not looking like this.

• Like 3

If you look at any pictures of even the newer ships right now, they all are showing a lot of rust. That is why under normal circumstances almost any time any ship is at any port, you see the crew painting some part of the ship. 

Salt water/ air and metal is a constant battle....so when the upkeep stops for 5 months, rust showing is the result. 

Edited by cltcruiser
  • Like 1

My theory (and it's just a theory) is that Fascination is tied up until space opens up at Aliaga. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have an agreement to sell her for scrap, but there is currently no room with four cruise ships currently beached. Once at least one of those ships is completely scrapped, Fascination will make her way to Aliaga. Until then, it's probably cheaper to tie her up at Cadiz than to have her out in the water.

Fascination was the first ship I sailed. Fascination (2), Inspiration (1) and Sensation (4) times. I'm not surprise they were the first ships to go. Even if Covid 19 didn't happen I think they would have been either sold or scrap in the next few years. 

Carnival is using the bigger ships now for  3-4 day cruises. Sad to see them go, but it was bound to happen. 

4 hours ago, Je Souhaite said:

I thought I read the Fascination and Imagination were simply being shelved temporarily.   

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not remember the word temporarily, but recall indefinitely 

Long term layup with no immediate plans to return to service.

I believe that’s the phrase they used.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Long term layup with no immediate plans to return to service.

I believe that’s the phrase they used.

Seems to be a politically correct way to say the ship is headed to the scrap heap.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Seems to be a politically correct way to say the ship is headed to the scrap heap.

As of now though, Carnival still holds possession of the ships whatever the plans may be once space becomes available in the scrapyard.

It should be obvious that I’m for the separation of these ships from the cruise line.

Edited by xDisconnections

41 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

As of now though, Carnival still holds possession of the ships whatever the plans may be once space becomes available in the scrapyard.

It should be obvious that I’m for the separation of these ships from the cruise line.

We disagree on the Fantasy class ships as I am one of those that love sailing on them and will miss the ol' gals. However, I always enjoy reading your posts and get a kick out of how you phrase things. 

That is a compliment just to clear up any confusion on the intent of this post.  😉

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

We disagree on the Fantasy class ships as I am one of those that love sailing on them and will miss the ol' gals. However, I always enjoy reading your posts and get a kick out of how you phrase things. 

That is a compliment just to clear up any confusion on the intent of this post.  😉

Thanks for the support ❤️

No doubt though, I’ve had some great experiences on Fantasy class ships and it’s sad to see them go. With that, the memories will live on forever. I just think it’s time for Carnival to evaluate its fleet and future company vision and determine what it, as a company, wants to shoot for. Do they want to be a true competitor or do they want to be the cruise line with an outdated fleet hoping to skirt by on alcohol sales.

When I first saw the Mardi Gras, it impressed me and I felt different about the brand. That should be the image Carnival wants as we push through this pandemic and see a rebound for the cruise industry. Not a 30 year old cruise ship that has seen better days. The only negative, to me, is the temporary loss of available jobs but as we progress, new jobs will be made on newer ships. Carnival’s primary competitor took the stance of being an industry leader focusing on technology, innovation and revolutionary ideas to provide a memorable experience. That’s what they need to compete against and cheap cruise fares won’t cut it.

Edited by xDisconnections

I was able to do the Fascination a couple years ago, and we really liked it, even IF it was an older ship! I was hoping to do it next year, but it looks like this is out. 😞 I want to take my children to St. Lucia, where the Fascination ship went. I know the Covid19 is going on, but I was hoping to do "another" Carnival ship to St. Lucia next year, but I have a feeling there is none lined up at this point.

1 minute ago, beshears said:

I was able to do the Fascination a couple years ago, and we really liked it, even IF it was an older ship! I was hoping to do it next year, but it looks like this is out. 😞 I want to take my children to St. Lucia, where the Fascination ship went. I know the Covid19 is going on, but I was hoping to do "another" Carnival ship to St. Lucia next year, but I have a feeling there is none lined up at this point.

Years ago, there was an 8 day run from Fort Lauderdale to St. Maarten, St. Lucia and St. Kitts. Hopefully one day an itinerary like that will return.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Thanks for the support ❤️

No doubt though, I’ve had some great experiences on Fantasy class ships and it’s sad to see them go. With that, the memories will live on forever. I just think it’s time for Carnival to evaluate its fleet and future company vision and determine what it, as a company, wants to shoot for. Do they want to be a true competitor or do they want to be the cruise line with an outdated fleet hoping to skirt by on alcohol sales.

When I first saw the Mardi Gras, it impressed me and I felt different about the brand. That should be the image Carnival wants as we push through this pandemic and see a rebound for the cruise industry. Not a 30 year old cruise ship that has seen better days. The only negative, to me, is the temporary loss of available jobs but as we progress, new jobs will be made on newer ships. Carnival’s primary competitor took the stance of being an industry leader focusing on technology, innovation and revolutionary ideas to provide a memorable experience. That’s what they need to compete against and cheap cruise fares won’t cut it.

I think they are trying to catch up to Royal. They got rid of the flashy decor, and are now building mega-ships that RCL has had for quite some time. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to distance themselves from the perception of Carnival being the line you go on to not be sober for three straight days and then come back to Florida. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dave0311 said:

My theory (and it's just a theory) is that Fascination is tied up until space opens up at Aliaga. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have an agreement to sell her for scrap, but there is currently no room with four cruise ships currently beached. Once at least one of those ships is completely scrapped, Fascination will make her way to Aliaga. Until then, it's probably cheaper to tie her up at Cadiz than to have her out in the water.

I think you're right, but it may be several months before there's space available in Aliaga. It can take around 6-9 months to completely scrap a cruise ship.

42 minutes ago, SC2020 said:

I think they are trying to catch up to Royal. They got rid of the flashy decor, and are now building mega-ships that RCL has had for quite some time. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to distance themselves from the perception of Carnival being the line you go on to not be sober for three straight days and then come back to Florida. 

Although they are, they have a tainted image they need to step away from and a lot of opinions to change. It’s progress.

56 minutes ago, SC2020 said:

I'm pretty sure alcoholics prefer Royal and a loyalty program that rewards frequent cruisers with nightly binge drinking.

Royal should be starting to scrap ships in the near future.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm pretty sure alcoholics prefer Royal and a loyalty program that rewards frequent cruisers with nightly binge drinking.

Royal should be starting to scrap ships in the near future.

Please, let them take Sovereign and Vision class. No need for them to exist anymore.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2020 at 4:03 PM, Dave0311 said:

After looking at the "progress" that's been made at tearing down the Sovereign of the seas, if that's any indication, it won't take long until there's room for more ships.