Ruby Princess report by Commission of Inquiry

Aus Traveller

On Friday Commissioner Walker handed his final report to the NSW government. For people who don't have the time to read this document, a rough precis is as follows:

1. The main fault in allowing passengers to disembark and spread the infection lay with the NSW Health Department. The department was also at fault for not expediting the testing of swabs taken from the ship. This was called "an inexcusable delay". Results were delayed until the next day.

2. There was a failure of co-ordination between departments (Federal Border Force and NSW Health)

3. A Federal Border Force officer misinterpreted a form filled out by the ship's medical officer. It showed the 'suspect' cases tested negative for flu A & B, but the ABF officer thought it referred to COVID. The Commissioner concluded that this error was not material because the ABF do not have medical staff.

4. Princess was criticized to a much lesser degree. The Commissioner concluded that they should have advised passengers on the cruise that there were "suspect cases of COVID on board" so passengers who felt they were vulnerable could self-isolate. Personally I feel that this is a strange criticism when the only tests that had been conducted showed negative for COVID. Passengers would have misheard such an announcement, or taken the advice to mean there were cases on board.

5. There had been criticism during the hearing that the Ruby Princess did not have sufficient COVID swabs. There was a worldwide shortage at the time and they had 25 supplied by NSW Health before they left Sydney. Supplies were waiting for them in Auckland but the cruise was cut short before they got there to pick them up. Having the swabs would have made no difference as they had to go to a lab for testing. It could not be done on the ship. As we saw, the swabs that were taken, weren't even tested the same day. The results were only read by NSW Health around 30 hours after the ship docked and nearly a full day after the passengers had disembarked. 

A couple of people on this section of the forum had previously expressed concern about the criminal aspects of enquiries into the handling of the issue by Princess. The NSW Police enquiry is still on-going, but after this independent inquiry absolves Princess of negligence. There is certainly no suggestion of criminal behaviour. I would not be surprised if the NSW Police enquiry dies a quiet death.

If anyone is interested in the discussion on this report, please check out the 'Australia and NZ Cruisers' section of this forum. Scroll down past the Roll Calls and Special Interest Cruising.

The report can be read here:

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

"The Ruby Princess inquiry has declined to make any recommendations against NSW Health, despite finding it made multiple “serious”, “inexplicable” and “basic” errors when allowing the cruise ship to disembark in Sydney in March....

The commissioner said calls for the New South Wales health minister, Brad Hazzard, to resign were based on a “farcical” idea of government...

“They were not made because they were disorganised, or did not have proper processes in place. Put simply, despite the best efforts of all, some serious mistakes were made."

... The ship’s senior doctor, Dr Ilse von Watzdorf, did not send through an updated log of illness until after the ship had already docked. This showed a rise in the number of ill patients..."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/14/ruby-princess-inquiry-finds-nsw-health-made-serious-errors-allowing-cruise-to-disembark

2 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

"The Ruby Princess inquiry has declined to make any recommendations against NSW Health, despite finding it made multiple “serious”, “inexplicable” and “basic” errors when allowing the cruise ship to disembark in Sydney in March....

The commissioner said calls for the New South Wales health minister, Brad Hazzard, to resign were based on a “farcical” idea of government...

“They were not made because they were disorganised, or did not have proper processes in place. Put simply, despite the best efforts of all, some serious mistakes were made."

... The ship’s senior doctor, Dr Ilse von Watzdorf, did not send through an updated log of illness until after the ship had already docked. This showed a rise in the number of ill patients..."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/14/ruby-princess-inquiry-finds-nsw-health-made-serious-errors-allowing-cruise-to-disembark

The statement about the doctor not sending an updated log of illness overlooks the fact that NSW Health requires that the log is sent more than 24 hours prior to docking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The statement about the doctor not sending an updated log of illness overlooks the fact that NSW Health requires that the log is sent more than 24 hours prior to docking.

Seeing as you are in Australia you may want to raise that fact with the report author one way or another. Seems like a number of process failures.

Edited by brisalta

7 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Seeing as you are in Australia you may want to raise that fact with the report author one way or another. Seems like a number of process failures.

I was pointing out that the report in the Guardian newspaper was overlooking the requirement on when the report had to be provided. I don't there is any point in my contacting the newspaper to point this out. They all have their own agenda. 🙂

You are correct about process failures. The government procedures had massive flaws and the NSW Health people involved admitted they were exhausted with the number of ships arriving in Sydney Harbour in the relevant couple of days.

People who imply that the infection on the Ruby was inevitable and that it should not have sailed overlook the fact that there were several other ships that did not have infections. Another point, is the rapidly changing knowledge in the world about this virus.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I was pointing out that the report in the Guardian newspaper was overlooking the requirement on when the report had to be provided. I don't there is any point in my contacting the newspaper to point this out. They all have their own agenda. 🙂

You could always write a letter to the editor.

Just now, brisalta said:

You could always write a letter to the editor.

To my knowledge, the Guardian newspaper is an on-line newspaper so I don't think they have letters to the editor. A few months ago when there was so much erroneous reporting in Australian newspapers about the Ruby and stupid comments by the NSW Police Commissioner, I carefully drafted a letter to The Australian newspaper. It wasn't printed, but I suppose they get inundated with letters to the editor and can only print a limited number.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

On Friday Commissioner Walker handed his final report to the NSW government. For people who don't have the time to read this document, a rough precis is as follows:

Thanks very much for this summary.

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Wrong! They have letters to the editor. The Guardian is both a print newspaper and an on-line newspaper with editions for different parts of the world.

For letters the rule of thumb is under 250 words.

guardian.letters@theguardian.com

There is no hard-copy, printed Guardian newspaper in Australia. Online only.

Edited by By The Bay

The report is you read the whole thing clears Princess Cruises. Princess operated within the law and the rules. Blame here is 100% on the Government of Australia. And even finding this blame they are doing nothing about it. Sorry Australia has failed here.

9 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

The report is you read the whole thing clears Princess Cruises. Princess operated within the law and the rules.

This was posted on the Australian and New Zealand Cruises board by Cyrix400.

Carnival was criticised for not ensuring the latest definition of covid ‘suspect case’ was brought to the ship doctor attention. “They should also have ensured that passengers and crew aboard the Ruby Princess were informed that there were suspect cases of covid 19 on board ­ - and those meeting the definition of suspect case should have been required to isolate in their cabins (I recall that many of you previously thought that this should NOT be done, as it would have created panic on board). The reason for shortage of swabs and supply problems were examined in detail in the Report. Source

• Haha 1

The Special Commissions recommendations stated on page 33 of the Key Findings and Recommendations:

"2.15 Carnival should have ensured that Dr von Watzdorf was made aware of the change to the CDNA “suspect case” definition on 10 March 2020. They should also have ensured that passengers and crew aboard the Ruby Princess were informed that
there were suspect cases of COVID-19 on board. Those persons meeting the definition of a suspect case should have been required to isolate in their cabins."

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

The report is you read the whole thing clears Princess Cruises. Princess operated within the law and the rules. Blame here is 100% on the Government of Australia. And even finding this blame they are doing nothing about it. Sorry Australia has failed here.

I have to correct you sir, not the Government of Australia, the New South Wales State Health Commission. So the NSW State Government is in the firing line, not the Federal Govt.

The Grauniad (sic) is a serious left of centre newspaper with a daily print edition available in the UK and (when I lived in Switzerland) Europe, with on-line editions for the US and Aus. It used to be a "broadsheet" before print costs forced into to reduce to "tabloid" size. I'm slightly biased, but it's my news source of choice...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

Glad to read Princess were cleared of blame. That fact will not be highlighted by some media sources who have a distain for the cruise industry.

So far in Australia the emphasis has been on blaming the government departments, but (in my opinion) if the cruise line had been found at fault, there would have been a near-hysterical baying for blood by the media. The Premier of New South Wales has apologized unreservedly for the failures and errors by her staff.

The Police investigation is on-going after five months with 13 people working full time. They intend to interview (according to the Police Commissioner) everyone who was on that ship. One passenger (BRANDEE) posted on the Australian and NZ Cruisers section of this forum, the list of 30 questions she received from NSW Police. She and her husband both contracted the virus. She has commented that she feels the Police (or at least the Commissioner) are out to 'get Princess'. After the report from the Commission of Inquiry was released, the Police Commissioner said the Police inquiry was different and that they are looking for evidence of 'criminal negligence' in the actions of everyone involved on the ship. Now that the report from the Commission of Inquiry has been released, I feel it is a waste of money for the Police to continue with their inquiry. The Police Commissioner blamed Princess and the crew on the ship, and only them from day 1 and he is not prepared to back down.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:58 AM, By The Bay said:

The Special Commissions recommendations stated on page 33 of the Key Findings and Recommendations:

"2.15 Carnival should have ensured that Dr von Watzdorf was made aware of the change to the CDNA “suspect case” definition on 10 March 2020. They should also have ensured that passengers and crew aboard the Ruby Princess were informed that
there were suspect cases of COVID-19 on board. Those persons meeting the definition of a suspect case should have been required to isolate in their cabins."

Again as many have stated these are after the facts findings....Based upon the law and rules in place at the time Princess was not required to take these actions.....They followed what was in place at the time. Unlike the Government who did not follow the law and the rules.   Princess was cleared in this case.

On 8/17/2020 at 7:14 AM, NSWP said:

I have to correct you sir, not the Government of Australia, the New South Wales State Health Commission. So the NSW State Government is in the firing line, not the Federal Govt.

The ports are welcoming International guests which is Federal, and while the Health Department may have been the front line ultimately the ball stops with the Federal Government.  Bottom line if the Government (s) in Australia have done their jobs this would not have happen. Princess Cruises was cleared by the report, they did not break the law or the rules in place at the time. Unlike Australia which should get the blame, from the report NSW Health’s “inexcusable” and “inexplicable” mistakes. NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has accepted the   commission's findings and admitted its responsibility

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

So far in Australia the emphasis has been on blaming the government departments, but (in my opinion) if the cruise line had been found at fault, there would have been a near-hysterical baying for blood by the media. The Premier of New South Wales has apologized unreservedly for the failures and errors by her staff.

The Police investigation is on-going after five months with 13 people working full time. They intend to interview (according to the Police Commissioner) everyone who was on that ship. One passenger (BRANDEE) posted on the Australian and NZ Cruisers section of this forum, the list of 30 questions she received from NSW Police. She and her husband both contracted the virus. She has commented that she feels the Police (or at least the Commissioner) are out to 'get Princess'. After the report from the Commission of Inquiry was released, the Police Commissioner said the Police inquiry was different and that they are looking for evidence of 'criminal negligence' in the actions of everyone involved on the ship. Now that the report from the Commission of Inquiry has been released, I feel it is a waste of money for the Police to continue with their inquiry. The Police Commissioner blamed Princess and the crew on the ship, and only them from day 1 and he is not prepared to back down.

Princess followed the rules in place at the time.  While we may not agree with those rules several months after the fact that really does not matter. 

Obviously, there are political agendas out there.

The real concern among potential passengers was the fact that a third of Aussie passengers were infected ONBOARD the ship, on a 11-day cruise. Very surprising considering the typical 5-day incubation period.

Post #15 from member 'By The Bay' provides an insight into how it happened.

Can it happen again? I wonder if Princess will release the findings of their internal review? Did they ever do such a review?

27 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Obviously, there are political agendas out there.

The real concern among potential passengers was the fact that a third of Aussie passengers were infected ONBOARD the ship, on a 11-day cruise. Very surprising considering the typical 5-day incubation period.

Post #15 from member 'By The Bay' provides an insight into how it happened.

Can it happen again? I wonder if Princess will release the findings of their internal review? Did they ever do such a review?

It was an 11 night cruise, but many of the positive tests were taken days after the cruise ended. Someone who became infected in the process of disembarkation, would have been included in the figures.

I am sure that Princess will do internal reviews, but I am also sure that such a review will be for internal consumption only.

• 4 weeks later...