Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

On 10/11/2020 at 10:14 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

The Leonardo megablock is bit of an in between of a floating engine room unit (FERU) and a complete megablock.

Here you can see Meyer Werft at work in Germany (all Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships were build there); 

Two RCCL megablocks, which will be floated in the large building hall and merged after the float out of the complete RCCL ship in the top of the picture. With normal blocks already waiting for assembly to form a ship. The heart of this huge puzzle is the block plan:

1730453772_blockplan1.jpg.62498a846f96f7

The base of one of the megablocks is a FERU, the engine compartment: https://www.neptunwerft.de/en/products/floating_engine_room_units/index.jsp

Leonardo's megablock is the engine compartment with a partial structure on top.

edit; an entire ship can be some 50'ish blocks, to answer your question, if we look at Meyer Werft.

Well, the construction techniques for a cruise ship are somewhat different than other ships.  This, is because most cruise ship building yards use covered drydocks, where overhead craneage is limited.  Therefore, they use the "sectional" approach, and build sections from blocks and mega-blocks to build a complete longitudinal section of the ship and then float them into the dock for joining.  Typical shipbuilding, and what is done to create the cruise ship sections is that many blocks are built (size dependent on the size of the assembly hall, and the block transport equipment.  These blocks are then assembled into mega-blocks, which are limited in size by the capacity of the largest crane in the yard.  The sectional approach allows for completion indoors, allowing work in inclement weather, but also requires additional work and materials to install and remove the temporary bulkheads needed to make the section float.

While one of the sections may be a "FERU", know that the engineering spaces on the ship run the full length of the ship at the lowest one or two decks, likely from the first green block shown above near the bow and at the keel, all the way back to the last, lowest block.

The Leonardo's appear to be built in a hybrid fashion, with large floating sections that are not completed topside.  This is likely due to lack of a large capacity bridge crane over the dock, which prevents the traditional mega-block approach, but the lighter and smaller topsides blocks can be set by the cranes on each sidewall of the dock.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

well, i usually only saw a 's' on cruises 10days  out or less.

Then we looked at different cruises.  Last year I booked my October cruise in August and had the 'S' designation.  My room had a solo supplement discount but because I took the reduced airfare I paid the full supplement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Then we looked at different cruises.  Last year I booked my October cruise in August and had the 'S' designation.  My room had a solo supplement discount but because I took the reduced airfare I paid the full supplement.

yup apparently.

I set ncl's cruise listing to 1 person sailing then sort cruises by price.

as soon as cruises exceeds $50/day, i stop scrolling down.

those cruises that are $50/day usually sails in 10days or less.

14 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

and i dont expect last min solo sale pricing on the 1st  few cruises of the re-start

For sure. We may not see solo sale (discount) pricing on more than the 1st few cruises. Especially (pre-vaccine) they sail with limited capacity. Even after a vaccine, there has been so much pent up demand for cruising that NCL won't have to discount at all. Plus, NCL won't want to dsicount because of all the $$ they have lost due to this pandemic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Plus, NCL won't want to discount because of all the $$ they have lost due to this pandemic.

ncl will discount if they think they will have empty rooms a week before sail.

but i dont expect empty rooms on the 1st few cruises after restart.

and thats because of what you said:

pent up demand, lower capacity limits, and all that fcc floating around that must be spent within a year from issue.

it's like the go-karts on joy/bliss/encore.

the first 1/3 of the cruise it'll be all booked, then you'll get some openings but at some unpopular times.

then you'll have your pick of times you want.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hallux said:

I really don't bother with what they call the " 'S' solo" discount. Why, b/c most of the time it means nothing.  The only discounts that really mean anything are those which are last minute, they are generally Sail away (no perks except the $50 shorex) and they choose your cabin.  The "S" are/were very rare and likely will be invisible going forward.  Does that mean there won't be deals? IMO, no, it means we'll just need to be more vigilant in our searches. 

Now, IMO, this string of "solo" cruise deals needs to be allocated to the solo cruiser forum rather than this wonderful thread regarding the new Leonardo class cruise ship.  But, that's just me... 

Cheers 🥂

• Like 5

11 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Now, IMO, this string of "solo" cruise deals needs to be allocated to the solo cruiser forum rather than this wonderful thread regarding the new Leonardo class cruise ship.  But, that's just me... 

See the source image

My apologies for my part in hijacking this thread. Agree with @All-ready2cruise, solos please head over to the solo cruiser forum. It's been too quiet in there lately anyway...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whilst it is clear that at least one Leonardo ship will be built given  that NCL has lost a years worth of profits and is now debt ridden will another one be built or not. Certainly I doubt there will be the five on order.

I also suggest that the new shareholders will have a say in this and I wonder if some other ships will be sold off to assist with the new builds.

My view is not and they will revert to the the "away class" ships as a tried and test and much loved product.

Edited by bmwman

8 hours ago, bmwman said:

Whilst it is clear that at least one Leonardo ship will be built given  that NCL has lost a years worth of profits and is now debt ridden will another one be built or not. Certainly I doubt there will be the five on order.

I also suggest that the new shareholders will have a say in this and I wonder if some other ships will be sold off to assist with the new builds.

My view is not and they will revert to the the "away class" ships as a tried and test and much loved product.

from previous posts, i think the 1st 4 Ninja Turtle class ships already had approved financing.

so keep building since payments wont begin till years from now. 

they will not revert back to new Away class ships because the Ninja Turtle ships are 20% more fuel efficient due to the aft design.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2

And is this the second Leonardo megablock or second hull....?

I would say the first, going with the balcony and keel shape.. which is different from the first block? Where would they start a second hull in Italy? But a source mentioned "that Leonardo 2 already started", not sure what to make of that now heh. :classic_blink:

New yard, new procedures I guess, at least to me/us.. :classic_laugh:

Screenshot (18).png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The Away Class is terrific, but I would hope the don't copy the Encore, and at least give some deck space. I wouldn't sail on he Encore, only the Bliss, Joy, or Escape, our favorite.

Leonardo class gives them such an intriguing amount of deck space to work with.  I hope they keep some 'Waterfront' type of vibe, but the rest could be so different from the Away ships.

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Leonardo 1 taking on some Italian sun.. she will be built with the bow to the left side of this picture, facing the drydock door.

124228583_3791952124156896_2325239863017988389_o.jpg

That ship in the background looks like it says Holland America on the side facing the camera.  Any idea which ship it is?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

That ship in the background looks like it says Holland America on the side facing the camera.  Any idea which ship it is?

Rotterdam, floated her out early October

delivery date summer 2021

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

The 2021 Rotterdam, it was named Ryndam first but after selling (one of the many..) Rotterdam in the summer of 2020 HAL decided to rename the upcoming Ryndam to Rotterdam. Delivery will be in june.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

The 2021 Rotterdam, it was named Ryndam first but after selling (one of the many..) Rotterdam in the summer of 2020 HAL decided to rename the upcoming Ryndam to Rotterdam. Delivery will be in june.

When you think of HAL ships, all you can say is "dam"! (I know, very corny joke. Sorry, couldn't resist).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Steff79 said:

27th October 2023 Leonardo 2 is at the Cardiz port listed. ( from Malaga to Lisboa )

Delivery date was spring if i read correct. So it looks like a med season before ta in fall.

Have you found any port dates for Leonardo 1 in 2022? I would be happy with a med season combined with a TA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Have you found any port dates for Leonardo 1 in 2022? I would be happy with a med season combined with a TA.

Piraeus at Aug. 30th and Sept. 29th.

and at Cadiz from Barcelona to Lisbon at  Oct 25th -> that should be the TA

looks like a short med season too.

• Like 4

On 11/10/2020 at 7:45 AM, deliver42 said:

The Away Class is terrific, but I would hope the don't copy the Encore, and at least give some deck space. I wouldn't sail on he Encore, only the Bliss, Joy, or Escape, our favorite.

the Escape became my favorite with Howl at the Moon, Spice H20 and The District. I was supposed to go on the Encore and while I liked the observation area, I would have missed Spice H20 and Howl at the Moon. I would have liked the racetrack but wasn't interested in the laser tag at the omission of Spice H20

• Like 1