Bruges vs Ghent in Belgium?

First thing I'd do would be to ask the captain if it was wise to port in Brussels - it's more than 60 miles inland :classic_tongue:

You'll be berthing in Zeebrugge.

Bruges is just 10 miles / 20 minutes away - Ghent is 40 miles, 45+ minutes.

But Bruges (also spelled Brugge) not only for the convenience. 

I've been there a number of times (I used to drive tour coaches).  The cobbled city centre is compact, historic and attractive, with a number of sights and attractive canals (canal boat trip is a must if its not raining - low bridges mean that the boats are open). Cafe-lined squares, lots of shops for lace and chocolate. Makes for an excellent day.

Only been to Ghent once - our experience tainted by congestion caused by major city roadworks, but we rated it not a patch on Bruges.

Second to Bruges we'd put Ostend or Hitler's Atlantic Wall at Raversjide or even nearby Blankenberge rather than the trek to Ghent.

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Agreed--Bruges is definitely my favorite place in all of Belgium.  It's closest to your actual port, and it's a lovely, historic place with lots to see (canal cruise is a must), great food and beer, and the if you like biking, a great place to rent a bike and explore the town.  Don't miss buying chocolates--some of the best in the world.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can't wait to go back to Bruges--but NOT on a Monday, when the world-class Groningen Museum is closed. As are the majority of museums across Europe--and the US--closed on Mondays, including all the museums in Gent! as well. Some like the Rijksmuseet are open every day, but word to the wise if  one is on your bucket list. Plan your itinerary accordingly.

• Like 1

I have been to Belgium only time in my lifetime. Its got some very nice, little and cozy medieval towns which you want to thoroughly explore. Brugge is  probably on of those fantastic places as if you dont pay attention to other tourists, it feels like you are travelling in time 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We first visited Bruges when on a cruise that gave us a port day in Zebrugge.  The following year, when we were doing a driving trip in Europe we made sure to go back and spend 3 days (2 nights) in that city.   It is one of those magical towns that is why we keep returning to Europe time after time for lengthy driving trips.   Ghent is fine, but Bruges should be the priority.

Hank

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, hinote88 said:

So what's the best way to get from the port to Bruges?  The wife and I tend to eschew the cruise line excursions and go on our own.  

Mainly discussed on the British Isles / Western Europe forum.

Here are a stack of threads on the subject

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=bruges&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=8

JB 🙂