Jump to content

MSC boots Covid rule breakers


Recommended Posts

In an ideal world everyone here would be correct - But I don't see Carnival implementing or changing so radically. Their cruising population is diverse and at times behaviors are an issue. It happens on all the cruise lines but more often on Carnival. I was almost assaulted  in font of a security officer last year on a cruise and they did nothing, zip, babkas. Told me I could come down by dismemberment and call 911. They throw next to nobody off and take the path of least resistance. I am waiting to see how they will control the Virus and have  the guts they will have to throw off a large group of cruisers. It wont be one - it will be many...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, THL1313 said:

Does this mean once cruising resumes, we cannot do private excursions, and can only do cruise line based excursions?

Nothing has been decided or at least released.  However. this is how I am reading the MSC incident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Carnival will need to make some changes to excursion rules. They normally pack so many people on a bus that some are standing and this will need to change if social distancing is observed. Herds of people is the main thing that I have against Carnival sponsored excursions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The MSC cruise also had a mandatory covid test. So that's why only those had to stick together. You werent allowed to mix with the locals. If everyone tested maybe social distancing on the bus not as important? The whole idea was for a group to be allowed to cruise who tested negative for the virus including all workers.

 

At this pt I would go on a cruise if I had the date already booked that had rules like this rather than cancel.  Wouldnt book more. But tired of my house and everything closed or cancelled so I'm be ok cruising where I could see the ocean and read by the pool. 

 

Agree I've done the cheap carnival excursions already from all the ports. Only one expensive one to tulum which was so hot wasted most of it sitting in the mexican restaurant with a big margarita and chips and dips which I could have done anywhere. It had ac and I was miserable hot.

 

Idk I'd be willing to book a excursion in every port ... but not sure I'm crazy about mixing with the locals either until I feel safe from covid. I'd be happy right now with a cruise to nowhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

In an ideal world everyone here would be correct - But I don't see Carnival implementing or changing so radically. Their cruising population is diverse and at times behaviors are an issue. It happens on all the cruise lines but more often on Carnival. I was almost assaulted  in font of a security officer last year on a cruise and they did nothing, zip, babkas. Told me I could come down by dismemberment and call 911. They throw next to nobody off and take the path of least resistance. I am waiting to see how they will control the Virus and have  the guts they will have to throw off a large group of cruisers. It wont be one - it will be many...

 

 

Dismemberment?   Yikes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

In the interim suspending all "excursions" might not be a terrible idea. I know that some of us really enjoy exploring different activities and the Cruise lines/Excursion companies enjoy the added revenue. However this action would assist in not having to worry if anyone strays during the outings. I am not saying that remaining on the ship during port days is a viable solution but remaining near the docking site may be "suggested" to help reduce the spread.

 

Thoughts?   

I go to explore the places we go to, not the "trinket" selling dockside.  Just my thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Safety first. I would imagine the unfortunate individuals and families affected by this Pandemic had no idea they were being exposed. Let's please allow the rules (as wicked, insensitive and outlandish as they may appear) to be strictly enforced so that we all can get back to safe cruising. At this stage there is probably nothing out of bounds to be tried (including expelling passengers who don't and/or can't comply with the written rules).

 

It's Simple:

 

Follow the Rules Stay Alive To See Another Day at Sea.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I take ship excursions.  I take private excursions.  But, when you've been to the same ports numerous times.....I like to wander around without excursions.  If I were limited to staying on board or a redundant ship excursion....nope.  Not gonna sail.

Do you cruise for the ship only? Because I'm sure there are dozens of ports around the world you haven't visited.

 

You raise a good point. Perhaps in the future, there will be a wider split between those that cruise for ports vs people who really just like being on the ship and will just stay onboard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tigereye said:

I guess Carnival will need to make some changes to excursion rules. They normally pack so many people on a bus that some are standing and this will need to change if social distancing is observed. Herds of people is the main thing that I have against Carnival sponsored excursions.

 

I wanted to note that I've done quite a few Carnival excursions and I've always had a seat.  I've never seen any of my fellow passengers without a seat.  The only people I've seen standing on those buses is the tour guide - and they have a seat allocated to them (sometimes two), they just don't sit in them because they want to be seen and/or heard better.

 

But yes, if excursions are a go during this pandemic, they'll have to stop packing so many people on buses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem going on only Carnival excursions.  I have been on many and had a lot of fun.  


I think the key to cruising with restrictions is communication and for every single person to be told clearly and at multiple times before boarding that certain things will be required or they will be escorted off of the ship or not permitted back on the ship.  Have every adult sign something confirming they understand.  Communication and implementation is the key.  I have no issue with covid testing before boarding and think it's a great idea.  

People who think the rules don't apply to them come from all walks of life and all parts of the world.   Whenever someone is not held accountable for their actions, it makes them feel entitled.  Sometimes, people are even encouraged to break laws and rules. Anyway, I think Carnival can do what it takes to get cruising again and will take rules about covid very seriously.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I, who have been called "The Face of Gloom and Doom" am finding too many pessimists here.

Covid is not the new normal, it's the temporary normal.

Cruising will resume and be like the old days or even better than the old days.

We will be allowed to wander around the port and buy junk, or make our own itineraries.

No masks, no distancing.  Buffets, elevators, crowded muster drills etc.

The only real difference I see is higher prices.

 

I liked this board better when everyone else was "going to cruise in August and have a great time".

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


That’s one thing that worries me about Carnival, they are terrible at enforcing their own rules (MDR dress code, smoking in non-designated areas including balconies, allowing passengers to save lounge chairs for hours, allowing people with Cheers to share drinks, waiting in ports for over 2 hours for people who are late returning to the ship, etc.): Carnival’s focus on having Fun at all costs and looking the other way when passengers violate their rules will be a major hurdle for them when they resume operations. 

Some folks have already responded, but look at it this way:

 

If Carnival fails to enforce the MDR dress code, what happens?  A few other pax get annoyed.  Relatively mild or non-existent "consequences".

 

If Carnival fails to enforce the COVID-19-related rules, what happens?  Some combo of: there is an outbreak; the CDC finds out; the media finds out; and Carnival is told to stop sailing to/from US ports.  And other foreign ports.  Very severe consequences.

 

That is why I think there will be much stricter enforcement of that.

 

There was a family of 7 kicked off a plane recently (woman with 6 kids) because the 2-year-old wouldn't wear a mask - airline requires all pax 2 years old or older to wear one.  It sucks, but if those are the rules, and they are there to ensure safety, then that is the result.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Covid is not the new normal, it's the temporary normal.

 

I would tend to agree but I also tend to believe that "temporary" will be a lot longer than most would like.  That could be problematic if "temporary" runs into the time when the lines run out of their cash stash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


That’s one thing that worries me about Carnival, they are terrible at enforcing their own rules (MDR dress code, smoking in non-designated areas including balconies, allowing passengers to save lounge chairs for hours, allowing people with Cheers to share drinks, waiting in ports for over 2 hours for people who are late returning to the ship, etc.): Carnival’s focus on having Fun at all costs and looking the other way when passengers violate their rules will be a major hurdle for them when they resume operations. 

 

I've seen those rules being broken on all lines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

In the interim suspending all "excursions" might not be a terrible idea. I know that some of us really enjoy exploring different activities and the Cruise lines/Excursion companies enjoy the added revenue. However this action would assist in not having to worry if anyone strays during the outings. I am not saying that remaining on the ship during port days is a viable solution but remaining near the docking site may be "suggested" to help reduce the spread.

 

Thoughts?   


So you think all excursions should be suspended because one idiot family of 4 couldn’t follow directions??? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


So you think all excursions should be suspended because one idiot family of 4 couldn’t follow directions??? 

I do know that all Cruise patrons do not read and/or follow this forum. Therefore there will be many more "families or 4 or more" that disregard the rules. Why not put a halt to the process and then people might get the message that MSC is serious. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jetsfan58 said:

I do know that all Cruise patrons do not read and/or follow this forum. Therefore there will be many more "families or 4 or more" that disregard the rules. Why not put a halt to the process and then people might get the message that MSC is serious. 

 
I agree with you that many more people will disregard rules and Carnival passengers are likely to be the leader by a significant margin in the future. But I have never believed in the philosophy of punishing everyone for the misdoings of a few. Do you believe no one should be allowed to drive because a small minority of drivers get DUIs? That approach would eliminate future DUIs, but most people wouldn’t be happy with a rule like that. I realize that is an extreme example, but that’s basically what you are saying to a lesser degree. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

I do know that all Cruise patrons do not read and/or follow this forum. Therefore there will be many more "families or 4 or more" that disregard the rules. Why not put a halt to the process and then people might get the message that MSC is serious. 

People just need to "read". I'm pretty sure it's posted in the newsletter, posted when you disembark, probably even an announcement.  People (pax) need to show responsibility and quit trying to circumvent the rules/guidelines

 

But we all know some don't think the rules apply to them, they are for everyone but themselves..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

I do know that all Cruise patrons do not read and/or follow this forum. Therefore there will be many more "families or 4 or more" that disregard the rules. Why not put a halt to the process and then people might get the message that MSC is serious. 

I think it will be explicit and mandatory  bedore boarding.  None will be confused . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I think it will be explicit and mandatory  bedore boarding.  None will be confused . 

Plus when the group gathers before the excursion begins , final instructions are "stay" with the group, DON'T venture off on your own.

Edited by beerman2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...