Princess Connects Live #2 August 27th

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Also in the Q&A:

Princess is still hopeful that the December cruises can resume starting 12/15/20. The restart will depend on what testing is available and on the ports' willingness to allow cruise ships.

Buffet will continue, but with Princess crew doing all of the serving. No self-selvice.

Did they say anything about Discovery?

• Thanks 1

#2 was one hot mess - and coming on the heels of a shaky #1, this isn't a good look for Princess.

Either they can produce a show worthy of watching or just forget about it. The idea is a good one, but the execution has been a technical and creative disaster after two attempts now. One has to wonder how the CEO of a corporation under the pressure of this pandemic such as Princess has the time to participate in such an amateurish venture.

The host was awful, the technicals were abysmal, Gavin MacLeod's spot was an insult to him, and nothing of any substance was covered.

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?

The best part of the whole mess was watching Capt. Tuvo's wife's facial expressions. I think the good Captain may have some work to do at home.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I couldn't find it.  The link no longer works.  Not posted on Princess You Tube as of this posting.

I wanted to see Captain Tuvo.  Try another day I guess.

Even by clicking on the link from the Princess webpage for both Live presentations it goes to a YouTube “Private Message“ page requiring a sign-in to view it.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/princess-connects-live/

How bizarre...it’s either another snafu or is an effort to hide their poorly created Live. 😳

Captain Tuvo’s voice was often garbled or badly out of synch with his lips. He was in the Sky’s Piazza where MarineTraffic shows the ship anchored off Cypress so that’s more understandable to me. The only clear audio & video was from California of Jan Swartz & Amy Tuvo. Both audio & video from CD Gamble located in St Louis were poor & this was no better than the 1st time. Although that was better than Capt Stubbing (Gavin MacLeod) with not one legible word heard...an embarrassing way to treat their longtime spokesperson. 😟

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the only usable info re: resuming cruises and what might be done differently.  And now we no longer have to wonder what will they do with Enchanted Sept 30...bring it to US or keep it in Europe.

If you have cruised long enough we have all at some point in time had to have buffet served by crew so that was to be expected.

And we all thought testing would be in the mix.  That new $5 rapid test  announced yesterday by Abbott with results in 15 mintues and 97% accurate sounds like a game changer.  And the abiliy to produce 50 million a month is huge.  It is exactly  what is needed to get every part of society moving ahead again.   Plus your results can interface with an app to show your results. 

IF cruise lines choose to use something like that I would have no problem paying $5 a day to be tested.  We get charged fees now for things (cruises, planes, hotels, etc) that don’t really matter and live with it, but this would be Important and Needed.

With regard to Princess technical issues...don’t we all remember how the roll out of the Medallion has been???  Still not perfect with no alert tone when you have a message!!!

Technical is not their strong suit.

3 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

That new $5 rapid test  announced yesterday by Abbott with results in 15 miutues and 97% accurate sounds like a game changer.  And the abiliy to produce 50 million a month is huge.  It is exactly  what is needed to get every part of society moving ahead again. 

That's the reason travel stocks have gone up the past two days including CCL

Yes, the audio was awful except for Jan.  They might want consider taping some of the offsite portions so the audio would be good. 

Additionally, they should consider having a different CD as a host.  He is too hokey for my taste.

Thirdly, they should also give more information that we all want to know about.  I know Jan is planning on having more back to cruising information as part of videos to be produced late in September but there should be tidbits throughout the month.

The positive about these "Connects" is that Jan is trying to connect with her customers by being positive and reaching out to them.  I don't see other cruise lines doing this.  Sure, the programming might be a little silly and poorly produced but at least we are being connected with. 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:22 PM, gardenbunny said:

That new $5 rapid test  announced yesterday by Abbott with results in 15 mintues and 97% accurate sounds like a game changer.  And the ability to produce 50 million a month is huge.  It is exactly  what is needed to get every part of society moving ahead again.  

However, this Abbot fast test announced this week and which has caused such optimism is great for determining if people who already shows symptoms have Covid-19 or not. No information given on tests with people who do not currently present symptoms.

per  https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-08-26-Abbotts-Fast-5-15-Minute-Easy-to-Use-COVID-19-Antigen-Test-Receives-FDA-Emergency-Use-Authorization-Mobile-App-Displays-Test-Results-to-Help-Our-Return-to-Daily-Life-Ramping-Production-to-50-Million-Tests-a-Month

"demonstrated sensitivity of 97.1% (positive percent agreement) and specificity of 98.5% (negative percent agreement) in patients suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset."

"It is intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2 in nasal swabs from individuals suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider within the first seven days of symptom onset."

Of course the ideal is to get accurate testing for those who do not have any symptoms which includes people who are two days away from experiencing symptoms and those who will never present symptoms, both of which can spread the virus to others.

3 hours ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I thought the 1st one was bad and the 2nd sounds worse. Glad I didn't waste my time again... an hour I'll never get back...

It must be realized what the purpose of these sessions is, to help keep the fun of cruising in the minds of those who cannot cruise due to the pandemic.

Princess did not set these up to make major announcements, to explain policies, discuss refunds for cancelled cruises or to have a giant Q&A session with the participants.  The many questions that all of us have about the future of cruising at Princess just will not be addressed in these sessions.

Of course the pitiful problems with sound on the second session did not allow Princess to even accomplish what it wanted to, keeping the fun of cruising in our minds.

• Like 2

Another odd moment for me in #2 - and I suppose for other Vines fans - was Jan's endorsement of Vines as her favorite bar onboard Princess ships. Why is this odd? Well, neither one of the new ships, the Enchanted nor the Discovery, have a Vines. Is Jan not involved in making the decisions about what stays and what goes on new vessels?

Edited by loge23
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Another odd moment for me in #2 - and I suppose for other Vines fans - was Jan's endorsement of Vines as her favorite bar onboard Princess ships. Why is this odd? Well, neither one of the new ships, the Enchanted nor the Discovery, have a Vines. Is Jan not involved in making the decisions about what stays and what goes on new vessels?

Good question to ask during #3 which is supposed to be about food and beverage.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2020 at 1:34 AM, caribill said:

It must be realized what the purpose of these sessions is, to help keep the fun of cruising in the minds of those who cannot cruise due to the pandemic.

Princess did not set these up to make major announcements, to explain policies, discuss refunds for cancelled cruises or to have a giant Q&A session with the participants.  The many questions that all of us have about the future of cruising at Princess just will not be addressed in these sessions.

Of course the pitiful problems with sound on the second session did not allow Princess to even accomplish what it wanted to, keeping the fun of cruising in our minds.

??? My single comment had to do with the poor sound and visual quality. Extremely poor for the 1st event and 2nd was described as no better than that so didn't get the gist of your comments. Perhaps you meant to quote a different post.

Sadly, I should be on a cruise to Greenland/Canada right now and they just canceled our 2021 world cruise. I'll get excited when I know I can cruise again. Until then..continued road trips and keeping fingers crossed for 2022 WC.

32 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

??? My single comment had to do with the poor sound and visual quality. Extremely poor for the 1st event and 2nd was described as no better than that so didn't get the gist of your comments. Perhaps you meant to quote a different post.

Sorry. I thought you were referencing both sound and content.

On 8/31/2020 at 9:32 AM, caribill said:

Good question to ask during #3 which is supposed to be about food and beverage.

I tried to find the session on youtube, but it doesn't seem to be there. I could only find Princess Connects Live! from July. Is it so bad they aren't even going to share it? Whoopsie!  That IS bad!!

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I tried to find the session on youtube, but it doesn't seem to be there. I could only find Princess Connects Live! from July. Is it so bad they aren't even going to share it? Whoopsie!  That IS bad!!

I guess they are too embarrassed because of the sound problems to post it.

Maybe the September session later this month will be better soundwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

And the airlines doing away with change fees has helped the cruise line stocks.

Per the Motley Fool:

"The gains were driven in part by Carnival's plans to resume sailings out of Italy this weekend."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/03/why-carnival-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-cruise/

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Per the Motley Fool:

"The gains were driven in part by Carnival's plans to resume sailings out of Italy this weekend."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/09/03/why-carnival-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-cruise/

According to the stock market analysis I follow, they stated that the elimination of  change fees also helped the stocks.  With all the uncertainty of which ships will sail and which will not, people were leery of booking and paying for airfare if they had to change it due to a cancelled cruise and were assessed a change fee.

• 2 weeks later...