Grand Cayman says no to cruise ships until 2021

BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I believe this effects some of your itineraries on the MSC sailings from the USA. 

https://cruiseradio.net/caribbean-island-says-no-cruise-ships-until-2021/

I suspect it will have no impact on USA sailings.  Why?  Because I seriously doubt there will be any USA sailings (by any cruise line) for the remainder of 2020.  For any cruises to happen the CDC would first need to lift their no-sail order and I do not see any reason why the CDC would do this in the next few months.   And yes, I am aware that MSC still has cruises (out of Florida) scheduled for later this year.  I would expect that within the next few months MSC will announce a continued halt to USA cruises for the rest of 2020.  

Hank

11 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My 2021 cruise recently lost Grand Cayman and Freeport was used as a substitute.

I have no clue why MSC keeps changing itineraries on many of their cruises.  This is not a new thing and was happening before COVID.   Personally, I think that Grand Cayman is a far better port that Freeport.  In fact, DW and I would not even bother getting off any cruise ship in Nassau or Freeport!    Speaking of changes, consider that MSC has recently been changing ships on booked cruises, changing itineraries, and even embarkation/debarkation dates.  All this after folks have long ago booked these cruises.  And changing embarkation/debarkation dates is a huge issue for those that have already made their airline reservations.

Hank

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Personally, I think that Grand Cayman is a far better port that Freeport.

I agree.

31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of changes, consider that MSC has recently been changing ships on booked cruises, changing itineraries, and even embarkation/debarkation dates. 

It happened to me for this cruise. Ship was changed. I re-booked the intended ship (different port and 1 day later) with a different itinerary which has recently changed. Luckily for me, I'm driving to the port. The new port (Canaveral) is a shorter drive than Miami. I'm still remaining positive but.......ugh...🥴

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 6:55 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

My 2021 cruise recently lost Grand Cayman and Freeport was used as a substitute.

So far we are still going to Grand Cayman the end of March on the Meraviglia. We planned to remain on the ship for all of the islands except this one, where I planned to visit the stingrays again. Lucky for us we planned to do this "stay on the ship" cruise when we booked.

11 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I guess then that you will never go to GC again. There will be a cruise ship pier in Minnesota before CG builds one (it would take several actually to handle a typical number of ships stopping by most days). They will not miss you.

There have been rumors/attempts at building a cruise ship dock for years. The various lines were willing to work together for it....

https://www.cruisehive.com/fourth-cruise-line-provides-funding-for-grand-cayman-cruise-port/31748

...but there have been issues...

https://cnsbusiness.com/2015/06/watersports-business-warns-against-cruise-dock-proposal/

...and with the financial hit that all of the lines have taken, who knows what will happen (if anything).