Why don't cruise lines consider a "Cruise to Nowhere" option

proshopred

I enjoy being at sea & the ship experience....dining, gambling, entertainment...and just relaxing aboard a cruise ship....I do take shore excursions, but I have been to the Caribbean ports so many times that I don't need to get off the ship to enjoy a cruise....Many countries won't allow US passengers to disembark in their ports any time soon.....I don't want to wait for a vaccine.....I know this would not appeal to everyone, but.....Would anyone be interested in a cruise to nowhere if it was offered by Celebrity?

• Like 3

Just now, npcl said:

not legal from a US port, unless the crew has US work Visa's. A different category than they normally have when cruising out of a US port.

I think most of us know that...just the OP thinking out loud..head to the private island if allowed..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

[Big photo of chart with false equivalency]

First off, health outcomes != Deaths

image.thumb.png.2014c982faf12d4afdb77bb402e08ff6.png

Even if younger people are living, there a pretty high percentage of needing hospitalization and mechanical ventilation.  I don't know about you, but I am willing to do a lot to avoid median to two weeks on mechanical ventilation.  In the papers, when they talk about "mild" disease, mild encompasses everything until needing hospitalization.  AKA worst "flu" of your life where you are bedbound for 2 weeks and think you are about to die is mild as long as you don't get admitted.

Also, it's becoming more and more apparent that there are long term and potential life-long complications do getting the disease.  Many reports of lung scarring that have yet to recover, and may never recover.  Lots of reports of chronic fatigue that has yet to resolve (some papers as high as 30% in cases of "mild" infection).

It is perhaps even wiser for younger people, who have on average many years of high quality of life ahead of them, to be willing to give up one year of living as they wish including cruising in order to protect the health of the rest of their lives and the rest of their communities lives.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

image.png.ae55e6c300ffd46a19baf6ccb2667114.png

image.png

Interesting to see that perhaps those of us over 65 should be more worried!

Of course, your data sets are really not comparable since the Death Set is the share of total deaths across all ages while the Worried Set appears to be the percent of each individual age group that is worried.  A more comparable Worried Set would be the share of the total population of worried people by age group.

13 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Even if younger people are living, there a pretty high percentage of needing hospitalization and mechanical ventilation.  I don't know about you, but I am willing to do a lot to avoid median to two weeks on mechanical ventilation.  In the papers, when they talk about "mild" disease, mild encompasses everything until needing hospitalization.  AKA worst "flu" of your life where you are bedbound for 2 weeks and think you are about to die is mild as long as you don't get admitted.

Also, it's becoming more and more apparent that there are long term and potential life-long complications do getting the disease.  Many reports of lung scarring that have yet to recover, and may never recover.  Lots of reports of chronic fatigue that has yet to resolve (some papers as high as 30% in cases of "mild" infection).

It is perhaps even wiser for younger people, who have on average many years of high quality of life ahead of them, to be willing to give up one year of living as they wish including cruising in order to protect the health of the rest of their lives and the rest of their communities lives.

recent study also noticed increase in number of juvenile onset type 1 diabetes that appear to be related to Covid infection.

not dieting is not the same as not impacted.

1 hour ago, proshopred said:

I enjoy being at sea & the ship experience....dining, gambling, entertainment...and just relaxing aboard a cruise ship....I do take shore excursions, but I have been to the Caribbean ports so many times that I don't need to get off the ship to enjoy a cruise....Many countries won't allow US passengers to disembark in their ports any time soon.....I don't want to wait for a vaccine.....I know this would not appeal to everyone, but.....Would anyone be interested in a cruise to nowhere if it was offered by Celebrity?

As you live in Florida, with the highest number of active cases and new deaths, a cruise to anywhere would probably reduce your risk of catching COVID-19. For most of those living elsewhere, the risk of travelling to Florida would probably be sufficient to discourage them. I don't mind the concept of a cruise to nowhere, but not right now, thank you very much. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

The long term effects are absolute lies. They say you “might” have these issues. Pay attention to the articles and the words they use exactly.

Back to the actual question - this has already had a thread. Look it up. Can't happen out of a US port under current regulations, and I highly doubt the federal government will change the laws for the convenience of cruisers during a pandemic.

Ship can go to a foreign port as required by US laws just don't allow anyone to get off ship.

On one of my Hawaiian cruises from San Diego, toward the end of the cruise the ship pulled into Ensenada, Mexico to comply with laws.

Only stayed 30 minutes and then left for final port of San Diego.

Edited by Ravbo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

Ship can go to a foreign port as required by US laws just don't allow anyone to get off ship.

On one of my Hawaiian cruises from San Diego, toward the end of the cruise the ship pulled into Ensenada, Mexico to comply with laws.

Only stayed 30 minutes and then left for final port on San Diego.

Not any more.  They closed that loophole..

11 minutes ago, npcl said:

Not any more.  They closed that loophole..

I don't agree.

Holland American and Princess are currently listing cruises to Hawaii that start and end in US ports with a stop in Ensenada or Vancouver.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

I don't agree.

Holland American and Princess are currently listing cruises to Hawaii that start and end in US ports with a stop in Ensenada or Vancouver.

Yes, but the itinerary must include the opportunity for passengers to disembark. The quickie port stop in the middle of the night with no one able to go ashore doesn't cut it. HAL's Circle Hawaii cruise, for example, has now a stop in Ensenada from 1:00pm to 11:59pm.

Edited by Fouremco

Taking a cruise to " nowhere " for 10-14 days without getting off the ship doesn't appeal to us at all.

The risk of someone getting sick is the same, or very close to the same , because you will only be exposed to the 5000 ( ? ) people on board rather than including the people you would be exposed to at a port. 

Repeating myself from other threads , I just can't justify spending thousands of dollars and not enjoying the same cruise experience that we were so lucky to experience in the past. 

LOL--- Did I ever mention the conversion rate of the Canadian to US dollars ???  Not good !!!!

29 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

I don't agree.

Yes, but they have to let the passengers off.  Technical stops where the ship ports, but passengers do not get off are not allowed to qualify under PVSA.  There may be exceptions, in the case of bad weather or some other similar consideration.  But the loop hole where the cruise line planned a technical stop, without passengers disembarking, was closed a few years ago.

OK.  If passenger disembarkation is required, then restrict disembarkation to ONLY  cruise line tours.

(ie the way MSC is doing tours in Europe).

This way passengers are protected with a bubble.

Need to be creative.  This is a unique situation that needs to be solved outside the normal thinking.

Edited by Ravbo

56 minutes ago, Ravbo said:

OK.  If passenger disembarkation is required, then restrict disembarkation to ONLY  cruise line tours.

(ie the way MSC is doing tours in Europe).

This way passengers are protected with a bubble.

Need to be creative.  This is a unique situation that needs to be solved outside the normal thinking.

Then it would not be a cruise to nowhere (the subject of this stream).

The issue with cruises out of the US is the infection rate in the US, not so much about where the cruises would go.

Odds are that taking a random selection of passengers you would have multiple infected per 1500 cruise passengers.

Compared, for example to Norway or Germany where you would have less than 1 per 1,500 passengers.