Song of America

On 8/23/2020 at 4:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

I didn't find it, but a friend found at a church's thrift shop an old candy tin from the Queen Mary.  It's part of my collection now.

Flea markets and churchs' thrift shops are good places to go looking for memorabilia.  Unused baggage tags and a glass mug from Tourist Class on Queen Elizabeth are a couple of things that I have found.  

You have me wondering if my memory is correct about the Carter's connection with Song of America.  I was not aware that there was a connection to the Sovereign of the Seas.  

Rosalynn Carter was the godmother of Sovereign and they sailed on the maiden voyage. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

Sovereign of the Seas was transferred from Royal Caribbean to Pullmantur which was a Company under the Royal Caribbean International umbrella.  Not sure that would be considered a new "purchaser".  

The reason that the lounge was not removed from the SOA when it was sold was that it structurally could not be removed without damaging the viability of the ship. 

17 hours ago, CruisinSinceAge5 said:

Rosalynn Carter was the godmother of Sovereign and they sailed on the maiden voyage. 

Remembered that the Carters sailed on a Royal Caribbean vessel.  I recalled that it was Song of America.  Did they not do that?  I did not know that Mrs. Carter was the Sovereign's godmother.  

17 hours ago, CruisinSinceAge5 said:

The reason that the lounge was not removed from the SOA when it was sold was that it structurally could not be removed without damaging the viability of the ship. 

Not surprised learning this.  Thanks for your information.  

• 1 year later...

My family and I were passengers on one of the first voyages for the Song of America in late 1982.  I remember the ship hitting the front of the dock while docking in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  There was front bow damage and damage to the concrete of the actual dock!

• Thanks 1

Cruised on Song, late 80's, Bermuda. Got right into Hamilton on front Street, and St. Georges.  Yes, cabins were really small.  food, service entertainment was excellent. I remember the cruise director staff all wore same uniforms, but they had several different ones. Also remember that MDR. we had a long table of 8 or 10, which made it hard to converse with table mates. Glad we got to experience those early days of RCCL, and X.  Much has changed/evolved in industry, but still cruising, and enjoying it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Yes, cabins were really small.

Did you ever sail on Song of Norway,  Nordic Prince, or Sun Viking?  Those vessels preceded Song of America.  I sailed on Nordic Prince and I remember our cabin was very small.  Two people sitting opposite each other on the beds, our knees would touch.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Did you ever sail on Song of Norway,  Nordic Prince, or Sun Viking?  Those vessels preceded Song of America.  I sailed on Nordic Prince and I remember our cabin was very small.  Two people sitting opposite each other on the beds, our knees would touch.  

No, Song of America was 1st RCCL ship, next was Sovereign in early 90's.  We got an upgrade offer from TA, from OV to the Pegasus Suite, for only $50.  A beautiful suite, full marble bathroom with tub I think, just terrific.  Suite had a real living area, with bar area and fine stemware.  No balcony then.  But never got such a fine upgrade for that price again.  Also sailed Nordic Empress and Empress of Seas.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

We got an upgrade offer

Upgrade offers are something that I have rarely experienced.  The best was on HAL.  Standard veranda cabin to a Signature Suite; price was very good; easy decision.  48 hours before sailing, my phone rings with an upgrade offer from the Signature Suite to a Neptune Suite.  Price was very good; location of the suites and type (one of the two was a handicapped cabin) was so great.  Turned it down; got out my deck plan and saw exactly where the suites were and the facilities.  Within 10 minutes of the first phone call, I called back.  One of the two suites was already gone; the handicapped suite was still available and I took it.  It was an aft Suite and other than issues with soot on the veranda at times, it was another different cruise experience for me.

Regarding Royal Caribbean, my cruise on Nordic Prince, even with the small cabin, was excellent.  Service, cuisine, entertainment:  all very good.  Didn't care for the Crown Lounge around the funnel.  Went there once; great views; but, it was so warm that it was uncomfortable.  My traveling companion and I didn't stay very long.  Two of our table mates became friends and we kept in touch until they both passed away several years after our cruise.  

• 3 months later...

First cruise ever was on the Song of America, December 1987. Eastern Caribbean sailing over Christmas. We had an inside cabin. Very small as others have described, but we were young and only slept and showered in there. So many memories. Hubby still jokes about how many times we heard “New York, New York” in the lounge.  They would open the dining room for dinner every night with a chime and the announcement “Ladies and gentlemen, the Madame Butterfly dining room is now open for your dining pleasure.” Earned a “Ship Shape” T-shirt for participating in fitness  events. Christmas evening we came back to our cabin to find a gift from Royal Caribbean, a large Lladro figurine that I still have. 

• Like 1