ABC of Ports in Photos

DamianG

45 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry to hear about your car Pat.

Thank you Sue. It has been traumatic but the police have been wonderful. The car is through the excellent motability scheme and is the only way I can get my husband out of the house. Two people have been arrested and the car is in a recovery centre but quite badly damaged. Two separate police forces are involved so it will likely take a while before the insurance company can collect it. They have ongoing investigations so I do hope it means they can clear up other crimes connected to these thieves.

We should have a courtesy car but the company used by motability have no automatic cars available - the excuse is Covid 19! As of Wednesday they told me they have 17 customers waiting for an automatic and none available anywhere.

This thread has truly helped me think of something else. Some wonderful photos and places we have not been to yet. Must draw up a bucket list.

Pat

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Elderflower said:

Here are a few from Isla de Margarita in Venezuela. the first is a poor photo of Oriana at anchor and the second is a naval vessel  . Best I can do for 'I'.

PatJ2256x1496-00648.thumb.jpg.631e52e883efad889c091827743cbc07.jpgJ2256x1496-00325.thumb.jpg.8f02eafcb679673e684dd57283db3727.jpg

For ages I've been trying to remember just where it was in Venezuela that we docked at year's ago so thanks for reminding me. My main memory of the place was an awful, sewerage type of smell that was wafting across the dock area and the beach so we didn't stay ashore very long that day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elderflower said:

Loving this thread and the inventiveness of thinking outside the box to find photos that at least have something ship related in them.

It has made me focus on all the places we have been and realise we have been very fortunate to have had the ability to do so. It's also helped me to get some of my older pics in a better order. A big plus is that it has helped to take my mind off our new car which was stolen from our drive on Saturday whilst we were asleep. It sure has calmed me down so a big "thankyou" to you all.

Pat

Truly awful news, so sorry to hear that.

1 hour ago, Elderflower said:

Thank you Sue. It has been traumatic but the police have been wonderful. The car is through the excellent motability scheme and is the only way I can get my husband out of the house. Two people have been arrested and the car is in a recovery centre but quite badly damaged. Two separate police forces are involved so it will likely take a while before the insurance company can collect it. They have ongoing investigations so I do hope it means they can clear up other crimes connected to these thieves.

We should have a courtesy car but the company used by motability have no automatic cars available - the excuse is Covid 19! As of Wednesday they told me they have 17 customers waiting for an automatic and none available anywhere.

This thread has truly helped me think of something else. Some wonderful photos and places we have not been to yet. Must draw up a bucket list.

Pat

Glad you feel you’ve had some help but what a nightmare! Hope you get a new car soon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Forgot to post my G is for Gijon photos! This was the Independence of the Seas in a combination of Hurricane Ophelia and the forest fires in Spain and Portugal - October 2017 at 10.30 in the morning! 🌪🔥🚢

1E0C7F73-C5A2-4858-B091-ADE3705EDED0.thumb.jpeg.8817fb4f5a1e7e3e5a443074411c98af.jpeg

BACDEF4D-C27E-48A5-8E91-1E066A9A95D4.thumb.jpeg.aeafd0864d9076d6297adc2acbadbe82.jpeg

04015A33-1A58-4F22-BC5C-322068D37650.thumb.jpeg.ffcbfa510061ec07564b59652ea8fa90.jpeg

Great photos, very dramatic!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elderflower said:

Pat

Pat that's awful, glad for you that the police have been wonderful. Hopefully it will get sorted soon. Hubby's works van got broken into on our drive and his personal tools were stolen the Friday before lockdown. The police never came out due to the virus and they said that due to the night time conditions there wouldn't be any evidence. He works maintenance in care homes and needs his tools and so we have had to replace them ourselves. Looking on the bright side, he has managed to avoid the virus. 

Sorry for the thread drift. I will have to do a catch up with photos when it gets to the end as with being away I have missed a few. Though we don't have any as exotic as some that have been posted so far, we haven't been to many places.

11 hours ago, emam said:

Hubby's works van got broken into on our drive and his personal tools were stolen the Friday before lockdown. The police never came out due to the virus and they said that due to the night time conditions there wouldn't be any evidence. He works maintenance in care homes and needs his tools and so we have had to replace them ourselves. Looking on the bright side, he has managed to avoid the virus. 

That really makes my blood boil, taking away someone's means to support their family and, in your husbands case, means to support the vulnerable... 

Glad you are both safe. 

Andy 

• Like 3

I would start the J's if I had any so I posted this instead which is Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands taken on a boat tour from Tortola.

Hopefully someone else has some J's to post.

CARIB11-395.jpg

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, emam said:

Pat that's awful, glad for you that the police have been wonderful. Hopefully it will get sorted soon. Hubby's works van got broken into on our drive and his personal tools were stolen the Friday before lockdown. The police never came out due to the virus and they said that due to the night time conditions there wouldn't be any evidence. He works maintenance in care homes and needs his tools and so we have had to replace them ourselves. Looking on the bright side, he has managed to avoid the virus. 

Sorry for the thread drift. I will have to do a catch up with photos when it gets to the end as with being away I have missed a few. Though we don't have any as exotic as some that have been posted so far, we haven't been to many places.

I'm so sorry to hear this, it's both annoying and upsetting. No need to apologise about thread drift either, many posters have opened up about all sorts of things on various unrelated thread topics so you are by no means the first. It certainly helps me sharing experiences or just thoughts on here so feel free. 

• Like 4

Another tenuous link...

J is for Jamaica (Ocho Rios)

Jamaica, Ocho Rios.jpg

This was a funny port for us. I was hell bent on buying some rum but not in the port area which I figured would be overpriced. We therefore walked to a shopping area and found a supermarket but just before we went in a dodgy looking guy leaning on a wall asked us if we were alright and needed anything. We said "No thanks" then scooted around the supermarket as quick as we could, got the rum and then shot back to the port area. He may have just been a friendly guy but it scared the life out of us and we didn't hang around to find out.

Back in the port we had a quick look in the liquor store to check the rum prices and it was way cheaper than what we'd paid in the supermarket!!!

Many passengers stayed in the port area and late afternoon I was sat on the balcony watching them come back to the ship. 3 guys came rolling down the jetty, arm in arm supporting each other like a rugby scrum front row. They were weaving across the jetty from side to side, all the time singing songs, and could hardly walk. They were the most drunken sailors I'd ever seen and it was like a scene from an old comedy film. I wish I'd taken a photo!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 6

21 hours ago, Elderflower said:

Loving this thread and the inventiveness of thinking outside the box to find photos that at least have something ship related in them.

It has made me focus on all the places we have been and realise we have been very fortunate to have had the ability to do so. It's also helped me to get some of my older pics in a better order. A big plus is that it has helped to take my mind off our new car which was stolen from our drive on Saturday whilst we were asleep. It sure has calmed me down so a big "thankyou" to you all.

Pat

Very sorry to read this - with all we are going through in this crisis, it beggars belief that scum like this exist. We grew up on a main road where we didn't even lock the doors. Regretfully a sign of the times we live in. Hopefully you can source another car soon.

Edited by bee-ess
  • Like 3

Hi pat and Emam, so sorry to hear about your problems and hope things get sorted soon. It is sad that there are such selfish and thoughtless people in our beautiful world and I'm adding some pictures of blossom time on Jeju Island, South Korea. We were there in April last year aboard Celebrity Millennium and the blossom was stunning. Jeju is also famous for its oranges which are sold everywhere and taste delicious.

Celebrity Millennium, Jeju Island, South Korea

Celebrity Millennium, Jeju Island, S. Korea.JPG

IMG_8990.JPG

IMG_E0768.JPG

IMG_E0785.JPG

• Like 8

I’ve got a ‘J’ but will need to bend the rule slightly as I don’t have a photo.

During Oceana’s repositioning from Dubai last year a passenger was taken ill as we transited the Red Sea and we diverted to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia so that they could be transferred to hospital.  There were strict measures imposed to comply with local customs while we were alongside; no alcohol was served, we were instructed on how to dress modestly and were told no photographs, hence the lack of pictures. We were warned that the security services were watching and this would continue until we were back in international waters.  I’m sure photos of that day exist but to be honest I was too scared to take any!

The most important thing of course is that the passenger was safely taken to hospital and by all accounts the Saudi authorities did everything they could to look after them and their family.  It certainly was an interesting day...

• Like 5

Just a quick thank you to everyone who has sympathized with our situation and to add my regrets to Emam for what has happened to you too. You are all so supportive and kind - just like most P&O passengers.

Am loving reading the background to some of the photos. Izzwizz - stunning photos of the blossoms in South Korea, a place I don't think Iv'e seen an itinerary for sailing from the UK. I could be wrong - not unusual.

Pat

• Like 6