Viking Refunds

NavyVeteran

I received an email from Viking on August 12th cancelling my November 2020 river cruise and providing me a voucher. I called them the next day to request a refund instead of the voucher. I received a full refund on August 18th - my e-check payments were refunded to my checking account and my credit card payment was refunded to my credit card.

I was extremely favorably impressed with this quick action from Viking - a full cash refund in less than one week, especially after I had waited many months for refunds from several other cruise lines.

• Like 4

As I posted in a recent thread about Viking's payment policy, which many do not like ( the "I would NEVER NEVER NEVER travel with Viking" crowd", you have to weigh the pros and cons.  Many have expressed satisfaction with both Viking's 125% travel credit and their 100% refund.

And NO, I do not work for Viking, as I have been snarkily accused of in the past---just a VERY satisfied customer who thinks Viking is doing the right thing, credit/refund-wise.

• Like 1

NavyVeteran,

I am glad to hear it. Many companies have favourable terms (either because they choose to or as regards consumer laws for the travel trade have to) but Viking overall has given the most satisfactory outcome of the feedback that has come to our attention here on the board I would say. Crystal anecdotally is doing well, as well. Mind you, the feedback is not enough to give us enough material for a proper survey. Would be nice if one could read something about it on cruisecritic. Alas, quite likely too much work for the ever busy editors and hosts.

notamermaid

• 6 months later...

Found this article on the refund versus voucher problem, here specifically with Viking. Thought this might be of interest: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/as-cruise-ships-remain-docked-passengers-say-their-vacation-money-is-tied-up/2445625/

notamermaid

@Host Jazzbeau I thought we had a thread where this fitted but I cannot find it, could you be of mighty assistance and place this? Thank you.

• Thanks 1

@Host Jazzbeau thanks for moving this to here

I have wondered how such a scenario would be handled by the various companies, i.e. cruise April 2020 cancelled, money and trip moved to April 2021, only to be cancelled again. Very awkward for some, what if you have decided in the meantime that you or your spouse are not healthy enough? Or you would like the money back because you nee d it somewhere else? Etc.

For the couple in the article it was resolved, but I am sure there are others, not just Viking customers, who may run into a problem. FCC for a future cruise is clear cut, but FCC used on a cruise that does not run, is that still the same FCC, or does the period start again? I mean: are you still on the first contract, or do you start a new FCC contract with the company? I hope companies look on this favourably. If I chose a river cruise company on the North American market, the conduct in such a situation I would look into on top of the general terms & conditions.

notamermaid

35 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Host Jazzbeau thanks for moving this to here

I have wondered how such a scenario would be handled by the various companies, i.e. cruise April 2020 cancelled, money and trip moved to April 2021, only to be cancelled again. Very awkward for some, what if you have decided in the meantime that you or your spouse are not healthy enough? Or you would like the money back because you nee d it somewhere else? Etc.

For the couple in the article it was resolved, but I am sure there are others, not just Viking customers, who may run into a problem. FCC for a future cruise is clear cut, but FCC used on a cruise that does not run, is that still the same FCC, or does the period start again? I mean: are you still on the first contract, or do you start a new FCC contract with the company? I hope companies look on this favourably. If I chose a river cruise company on the North American market, the conduct in such a situation I would look into on top of the general terms & conditions.

notamermaid

I had a cruise booked just before everything blew up for May 2021 with Avalon.  Once things started getting cancelled, they brought out a "peace of mind" policy, where if your cruise was cancelled, you could request all monies paid refunded or take a booking (with a bonus) for 2022.  During the summer, they brought out a free upgrade, so I cancelled my existing cruise and re-booked the same one with the upgrade.  Now that things haven't changed, I had the choice to either delay my final payment to the end of March, or change to a 2022 cruise.  I chose to go next year.  I didn't ask for, didn't expect, and didn't get the free upgrade...I didn't pay for it, so why should they honour it?  I will watch this summer to see what deals they have out.. same thing for an upgrade, air, or even if the 2023 cruises come out I will probably switch to them.  I am happy with being able to change with no penalty, I don't expect anything I didn't pay for, to me, it's like going to a store to find out what you are purchasing was on sale the week before...you can't expect the store to give you the difference, so why should the cruise company forward on the upgrade that you never really bought?

• 4 months later...

Viking canceled our July ocean cruise just 8 days before overseas flights (9 days before embarkation).  2 1/2 weeks later, refund is still "being processed."  Disgusted that on top of the fact they can cancel with such short notice and no penalties, they continue to hold onto our money.  Not happy about floating cash for Viking.

• Like 1

yah, we're scheduled in september and I realize they want to keep these trips as scheduled more than anyone, and I'm OK with a cancellation and full refund...but i'm not ok with being informed with less than a few weeks heads up! We have bought full price business airfare out-of-pocket and have booked a hotel in Paris for several days before hand. Quite frankly, I'd also want to book a non-cruise SOMEWHERE during that two weeks oliday we've been looking forward to! I'd be annoyed too! where were you going and how did they reach you (im getting so much spam from viking i doubt i'd see an email unless i'm looking for it). you getting your money back?

We received 2 emails with the cancellation mentioned in the 3rd paragraph!  Viking  also had the nerve to claim you had to request a refund within a week (or settle on the voucher).  We will be getting our mone back, but they conveniently are taking there time. This was Iberia, the Med and Malta. 

Like you, we were stuck dealing with our plane tickets just 8 days out, as well as post cruise hotel  and the car service booked to get us to the cruise from LHR. 

Edited by nancydip

Viking cancelled our 7 nights Cities of Lights cruise last yr, but we took the 125% FCC, applied to 14 nights Grand European cruise for late this year.  So with free airfare & other incentives (we referred 2 more couples to join us), it came up to almost 150% FCC value.  

We're very happy.

Let's hope it goes & doesn't get cancelled again...

• Like 1