Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

56 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think these photos from @carlmm remain unidentified after a week. Perhaps it's time for a hint?

Even our Cunard organized tour was done by taxi.  Well, at least for cruise ship passengers they won't need anything else on a regular basis when  maybe two ships or so  call each year.

10 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Also does heavy rain in Quebec affect the water level as in Hamburg?

Three for three, @exlondoner.  My research indicates that the Riviere Saguenay at Saguenay Quebec can be a meter or so above sea level.  There's a larger altitude increase at the dams just upriver from Saguenay.  As best I can tell, the St. Lawrence at Quebec City pretty much stays at sea level.

The last Cunard port I can find that is different from sea level is Santarem, Brazil, on the Amazon downriver from Manaus and closer to the Atlantic.  Amazon river heights at Santarem in February when Cunard would call there are around 2-3 meters.

Here's another game having to do with the names of Cunard cruise ports.

Name a port for the current Cunard fleet which contains two or more sets of double letters in its name. For example, if the city of Hollywood happened to be a Cunard cruise port, it would qualify because it contains both a double 'l' and a double 'o'.

Once again, for the purposes of this game, I'm only looking at the name of the port's city/town/village. A double letter is an occurrence of two of the same letter with no other character or space between them.

As before, please contribute only one answer per day to let everyone who wants to contribute a chance to do so.

I've only found six port names that qualify, so this shouldn't take too long. All of those that I've found have been mentioned previously in this thread. One of them does depend on the Scandinavian letter 'å' being spelled in English as 'aa' (as in Flåm being spelled Flaam).

In Sydney, QM2 has in the past occasionally moored at the Australia Navy facility in Garden Island.  Garden Island is in the Sydney suburb of Wooloomooloo.   I know the game rules are to consider only the name of the primary port, in this case Sydney.  But perhaps a special mention applies here, as I doubt there are many (any?) other places in the world that would have a quadruple double letter, albeit all "o"s.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sfred said:

In Sydney, QM2 has in the past occasionally moored at the Australia Navy facility in Garden Island.  Garden Island is in the Sydney suburb of Wooloomooloo.   I know the game rules are to consider only the name of the primary port, in this case Sydney.  But perhaps a special mention applies here, as I doubt there are many (any?) other places in the world that would have a quadruple double letter, albeit all "o"s.

Very good. Another honorable mention is definitely in order for that one!

That's the last of the Cunard port names that I've found with two sets of double letters.

Thanks again for everyone that's played along.

I have another idea for a different kind of Cunard port name game I may start later today or tomorrow if you don't mind me taking this thread even further afield from its original premise of identifying port photos.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sfred said:

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. Another honorable mention is definitely in order for that one!

Thanks @bluemarble I just realised that I stupidly misspelled the Sydney suburb where QM2 occasionally moored when the Overseas Passenger Terminal was busy.  My very bad.  It is actually spelled

Woolloomooloo

So, even more impressive.  Five double letters - four "oo" and one "ll". 

33 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I have another idea for a different kind of Cunard port name game I may start later today or tomorrow if you don't mind me taking this thread even further afield from its original premise of identifying port photos.

I'm finding the port word games very enjoyable and challenging, although the wife yells at me to stop playing on cruise critic so much.  I think they are consistent with the topic of the thread - "Where in the world?", although in written format rather than picture.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @bluemarble I just realised that I stupidly misspelled the Sydney suburb where QM2 occasionally moored when the Overseas Passenger Terminal was busy.  My very bad.  It is actually spelled

Woolloomooloo

So, even more impressive.  Five double letters - four "oo" and one "ll". 

I also have a correction to make to a follow-up comment I made about one of our earlier games.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:54 AM, bluemarble said:

What do these three Cunard port names have in common?

Buenos Aires
English Harbour
Sihanoukville

On 11/3/2020 at 6:16 AM, bluemarble said:

... A far as I can tell, these are the only three names of ports visited by the current Cunard ships that contain all the vowels. ...

Zihuatanejo appears on one of QV's 2011 itineraries and it also contains all five vowels.

My next idea for a Cunard port name game is to try some anagrams. I'll rearrange some port names into groups of common English words. I'll try to have those groups of words make some kind of sense as a phrase in English. Your job is to tell me what the Cunard port names are that I have scrambled.

For example, the words "Harm Bug" were formed by rearranging the letters in the Cunard port name "Hamburg".

I'll start with five of them for now. As with some of our other games, please pick just one of these to solve per day. Once these five have been solved I have quite a few more I can add for subsequent rounds.

Cunard Port Name Anagrams (Round 1)

1.  Rains On It

2.  Iron Pages

3.  Anger A Cat

4.  Trail Garb

5.  Human To Post

• Like 1